Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2018 2:44:42 PM EDT
I'm sure most on here know what a blemish looks like and whatnot, but some of us aren't exactly sure what a 'burn' will look like.

Based on a recent thread, a 'burn-in' looks similar to that of one on a plasma tv; a faint overlay of the image that was burned in to the tube.

I ask because I have an odd spot on one of my tubes and I'm unsure as to what it is -

Figured we could use this thread to post a few pictures of image burns since I couldn't find any on google (that or my google-fu is weak).

Maybe I should just buy new tubes; WP looks interesting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They usually can have odd shadowing.  Have you tried the shoe box routine in a pitch dark enclosure  turned  on (day cover off) for approx 8 hours to see if your shadow has dissipated?
View Quote
I had considered doing that last night, but no I have not.

Will cover the lenses and toss it in a box I have while it's in the closet; I'm at work so I'll do it tonight when I get home.

Hard to see it in the picture, but I'm referring to the spot near the center/center-right
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No way for me to know for sure, but it looks very similar to what an image burn look like.  Definitely try making sure zero light can get to it with the gain cranked up....leave it for at least 24 hours if not longer.  Not sure on the history of the tube but if somebody already did that, that might just be the remains of a burn that they mostly got out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
did the mark just appear on the tube or has it allways been there ?  could be a manufacturing mark or a slight burn mark
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I generally put a piece of foil over the objective and then pop the daylight cover back over it and toss in the very back of a drawer to sit overnight (while powered on).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top