Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2023 8:56:40 PM EDT
I inherited two Lugers. One has paperwork that clearly identifies it.  The other does not. I have tried to search some forums but I’m struggling with identifying it and getting an idea of value. I will keep the one with paperwork as an heirloom, but this one I will likely sale. Or keep if it has cool historic significance.   Any help would be appreciated.

Pix
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TOTHEMAX:
I got nothing other than you are lucky to own not one, but two. Someday I will own one!
View Quote

Thanks. In total I have three (third one I know the history of is and is technically my wife’s) and a broom handle.  Got lucky on the older family member collected cool Guns lottery.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The 42 you see is the number assigned to Mauser-Werke, Obendorf on the Neckar.  

Nice pistol and a matching mag!
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s a 1940 Mauser built Luger for the Wermacht. Looks to be all matching, nice piece! I’d love to own that one to go with my P38.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely keep that one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
As others have mentioned it is a Mauser manufactured P.08 made in 1940.  Value may vary depending on the bore and if it has been refinished or not.  Mauser quit doing rust bluing in mid 1937 in favor of salt bluing.  With rust bluing, serial numbers would have a halo around them which would aid in identifying if the finish was original as serial numbers were applied after rust bluing.  With salt bluing it makes it more difficult, serial numbers were applied before salt bluing.  Also no series mark which would indicate it was in the first production run of 1940.

The other one that you say has paperwork, is the paperwork capture papers?  You may want to verify all parts are matching on both pistols.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top