Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2018 1:04:42 PM EDT
Recently I purchased two IWI firearms, a Galil Ace in 7.62x39 (and excellent gun) and a X95 in 9mm (not an excellent gun).

The first time I took it out I put 30 rounds through it.  Not impressed with the "accuracy."

The second time it just did not function.  Oh it would fire once in a very great while but the problem was VERY light primer strikes.  So I called the company.  I wanted to send it in for work.  They didn't want to do that.  The first question from their technician was did I buy it as a 223 and then install a conversion kit or did I buy it as a 9mm.  I bought it as a 9mm.  So he had me disassemble the gun.  Apparently when the 9mm version is made they occasionally by accident put in a "buffer" of some sort that would be needed on the full automatic version.  This can interfere with functioning in the semiautomatic.  My gun did not have this extra part.  So he said that the problem was that these guns are shipped with cosmoline in them and that would pretty much guarantee that they would develop this problem.  I asked why they didn't tell buyers that.  No response.  So I am suppose to tear the gun down, clean and oil everything, and then it should work.  I would have like to have know that in advance.

I also asked him about the magazine.  I have a Colt 6920 that has a very similar magazine.  The Colt magazine is easy to load.  The X95 isn't.  It REALLY isn't.  Didn't get an answer on that question.

So this gun is expensive, bulky, heavy, has magazines that are difficult to load, isn't very accurate and has to be completely cleaned or it just will not work.

I have a Colt 6920, a CZ Scorpion and a Sig.  Those are excellent guns.  This one is an expensive pain in the butt.  I would certainly NOT recommend buying one.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have bought a glock with 32 round magazines. Its more compact, less expensive, and probably more accurate. Or get an uzi if your into Israeli weapons.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The X95 Manual clearly states on page 33, "Always clean a new rifle before firing!"

As for the mags, yes, Colt-pattern 9mm mags can be very difficult to load.  I have some Metalform mags (OEM for Colt) that are incredibly hard to load without a LULA.  ASC mags are a little easier.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Not uncommon at all for a new gun to need a good detail cleaning before they are reliable.   Who knows how long it will take before it gets to the end customer. And if light oil is used something could rust before even being purchased.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess this post isn't contributing much to the topic at hand, but that 9mm X95 thing always seemed way too bulky and large for its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my original Tavor and X95. Can't imagine what a waste either of those rifles would be in 9mm. There are better options but it's your rifle, your business.

That said, I always assume there is some preservative oil, cosmo or something similar on  a new  gun so always clean and lube in detail before shooting.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I am suppose to tear the gun down, clean and oil everything, and then it should work.
View Quote
You should ALWAYS do this with any new (or used) gun before firing it.  Metal shavings, incompletely seated parts, possibly barrel obstructions...there are plenty of reasons you should confirm that it's clean and operable before throwing some ammo in it and blasting away.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My Tavor SAR runs fine in 9mm,  but I converted it from the original 5.56.  It didn’t come as a factory 9mm.  No problems with either what I think are C Products mags, or Colt 9mm SMG mags.  I think the Tavors in 9mm certainly do have a use as you get a compact PCC without having to go through either the SBR hassle or pistol brace scam.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a X95 in 9mm, all i did to start was spray the bolt with CLP than wipe it down to get rid of the packing oils, Otherwise the gun has run fine, I have a SBR stamp filed on it as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top