Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2018 6:31:29 PM EDT
Just picked it up from my FFL this afternoon.

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a little issue with the gun, there are two screws missing on the side of the rail
Now, I'm debating on the scope, should I go with Leopold MK6 3-18x44 or S&B PMII 3-20x50? BTW, the Surefire rc suppressor wasn't mounted, I only put it on for the look.

Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, congrats!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going with a top of the line scope Tangent Theta or U S Optics  B17 personally I really like the EREK knob on the U S Optics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Skip the PMII....outdated, heavy, and controls suck...compared to current offerings from others anyway.  NF ATACR line is very impressive.  Mk6 is very lightweight for what it is but not really quite in the same league...but not a bad scope either for the money if you pick one up used in the EE.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
That is just awesome, looking forward to feedback after the range.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Over 5k with a finish that looks like it was applied by century arms of a Friday.

How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Go with the Mk 6 if you want to save some weight, or want something closer to ‘clone correct’. Otherwise, there are better options. Personally, if I were going all out on this I’d be looking at an ATACR or Razor or so.

More importantly, that’s one of the coolest rifles in circulation. Put something nice on it whatever you do, throw some FGMM downrange and tell us how she shoots! Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Super jelly. Was told mine ships Tuesday. How long did it take to receive from shipping?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
The anger sharks are swimming! Ggrrrr!

Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you guys. Just ordered MK6 from optic planet. I
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Super jelly. Was told mine ships Tuesday. How long did it take to receive from shipping?
View Quote
About 4days
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice rifle. What’s up with the finish?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just noticed that myself, its a very strange color.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think SCARs are always going to run quite the spectrum of FDE. I always hear Geissele warn about that in their DDC, but theirs look orders of magnitude more consistent than FN. I know on FNforum it was such a thing that they had an ‘FDE trading post’ for awhile in an effort to get better matches. My 17 is the opposite of the light blonde of OP, I thought my FDE was OD at first, it’s a decidedly dark green!
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey it's weird I dont see FN Herstal/Belgium anywhere on the receiver.

Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just noticed that myself, its a very strange color.
View Quote
The lighting in the pics is making it seem lighter than it actually is. It looks great in person, at least IMO. It's a bit lighter than what is typically on MK17/17S though even that has changed over the years. How FDE anodizing comes out as far as the exact shade is significantly affected by minute changes in the process, such that batch to batch you'll see differences let alone when they are done on different equipment.  The actually MK20 SSR has a little bit of a greenish tint to it for instance.

They shoot wonderfully. I was testing one out this week and we were getting aprrox 3/4 MOA in informal testing from a bipod with 168gr match.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't even realize they were selling the 20s. I completely missed that memo. That is sexy as all get out. Thanks for sharing OP.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey it's weird I dont see FN Herstal/Belgium anywhere on the receiver.
View Quote
I'm much more surprised that no one has made any comment regarding the muted receiver markings. They appear to be either engraved or etched more deeply than previous productions. Also, it would seem the SC plant has no use for the SCAR's iconic barcode sticker. Curious to see if these changes are carried across the line if/when domestic manufacturing takes over completely.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Skip the PMII....outdated, heavy, and controls suck...compared to current offerings from others anyway.  NF ATACR line is very impressive.  Mk6 is very lightweight for what it is but not really quite in the same league...but not a bad scope either for the money if you pick one up used in the EE.
View Quote
Nice MK 20!

Leupold Mark 5 is lighter I believe. Just sighted mine in today on my 17. Happy so far.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Doop.

Leupold Mark 5 is lighter I believe. Supposedly solved the mushy turrets on some MK 6’s. Just sighted mine in today on my 17. Happy so far.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#21]
May be old news, but I just noticed the multi-cal marking on the upper. That seems to suggest that a 6.5 creed may be available at some point.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
As a yardstick, mine shipped last Friday and the FedEx tracking shows it will be here (Nevada) on Wednesday.  It’s probably similar transit time for AZ and NV.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Congrats! Fantastic looking rifle!

I've been waiting nearly 5 months for my SCAR to get to my supplier...
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#24]
SERIOUS QUESTION ....

I'm not bashing anyone's choice on how to spend their money, but I do have a serious question about this rifle...

What benefit is gained from the extended upper?  The barrel is free floated so why not just replace the barrel in a standard 17?

Again, I'm looking for technical reasons why this is superior to a standard 17 with the same barrel attached.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not a SCAR variant expert, but it appears the same results could be obtained from buying a SCAR-17 and changing the barrel and stock.  The money recovered from selling the original barrel and stock would offset the cost of the upgrade.  Alternatively, keep the spare parts and still be money ahead PLUS you have a whole freaking barrel and stock assembly.

I'm a SCAR fan so I'd like to understand the technical data / product improvements on this verses what I recommended above?

ETA: If the reason to buy one of these is ... "its cool" ... I understand that reason for ownership as well.  However, is it somehow ... "better" than an upgraded 17?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
SERIOUS QUESTION ....

I'm not bashing anyone's choice on how to spend their money, but I do have a serious question about this rifle...

What benefit is gained from the extended upper?  The barrel is free floated so why not just replace the barrel in a standard 17?

Again, I'm looking for technical reasons why this is superior to a standard 17 with the same barrel attached.
View Quote
The barrel attaches to the receiver with 2 additional screws and there is also a special barrel nut, both of which give the Mk20 the potential for better accuracy/repeatability over the Mk17.  Same goes for the fixed, adjustable stock and the trigger (the original Mk20's had an improved factory trigger instead of a Geissele).

Stephen
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not a SCAR variant expert, but it appears the same results could be obtained from buying a SCAR-17 and changing the barrel and stock.  The money recovered from selling the original barrel and stock would offset the cost of the upgrade.  Alternatively, keep the spare parts and still be money ahead PLUS you have a whole freaking barrel and stock assembly.

I'm a SCAR fan so I'd like to understand the technical data / product improvements on this verses what I recommended above?

ETA: If the reason to buy one of these is ... "its cool" ... I understand that reason for ownership as well.  However, is it somehow ... "better" than an upgraded 17?
View Quote
Roughly speaking.....
SCAR 17S - $3000
Better trigger, really 3 to choose from, -  $250-$300
The target stocks seem to be  - $300
20" FNH barrel - $1,200

So a 17S decked out's going to run you roughly $4,500-$4,800 with a barrel left over. The 20S is a heavier barrel with two extra screws holding it in for a more stable shot at ranges. You can find the 20S for $4,500.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The barrel attaches to the receiver with 2 additional screws and there is also a special barrel nut, both of which give the Mk20 the potential for better accuracy/repeatability over the Mk17.  Same goes for the fixed, adjustable stock and the trigger (the original Mk20's had an improved factory trigger instead of a Geissele).

Stephen
View Quote
I didn't know these design improvements.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Roughly speaking.....
SCAR 17S - $3000
20" FNH barrel - $1,200

So a 17S decked out's going to run you roughly $4,500-$4,800 with a barrel left over. The 20S is a heavier barrel with two extra screws holding it in for a more stable shot at ranges. You can find the 20S for $4,500.
View Quote
That's the approximate calculation I had ...

SCAR-17 .... $2800-3000
G Super Scar .... $275
Stock Upgrade .... $300
Barrel .... $1200
Sell Factory Stock .... ($100)
Sell Factory Barrel .... ($400)
Total Cost .... $4,075 to $4275

If the 20 is a better rifle I get it.  I didn't know about the additional screws.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
SERIOUS QUESTION ....

View Quote
I am sure somebody will post a comparison eventually but basically the 20 has a heavier barrel, secures it via 3 cross bolts opposed to 2. should lead to more consistency. it has a more durable stock ,A longer receiver

the only reason why the 20 would be considered superior is the heavier barrel which is either not compatible with the 17 or will not be sold by FN.  But its still a 308... So IMO, dropping a aftermarket 6.5CM would lead to a more capable rifle
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Can someone point me to how close the 20S is to the Mk20? Is it the same thing part for part?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can someone point me to how close the 20S is to the Mk20? Is it the same thing part for part?
View Quote
Minus the select fire portion I believe it's the same.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anecdotally, if I compare my 20S to MK20 variants I have seen, they appear to be the same specs.  One key thing is that the MK20 is a FN Belgium product since mil/gov guns are exempt from "non-sporting" import bans and other foolishness, and until the laws change you can't get the exact same gun. The 20S is made here, likely has a US barrel, and has a Geissele trigger.  The MK20 has imported parts for all of that.  If FN just moved a machine across the Atlantic, the output would be identical.

It is just speculation, but for the bolt, carrier, screws, springs, small parts, etc. I would doubt that FN would have two different production lines for all of that.  Doing so would be pretty expensive, and shipping from Belgium is cheaper and faster than setting up a bunch of sub component suppliers and production lines.  Probably anything that is not required to be US made is going to be the same for both. Again, this is speculation, but I assume FN likes to make a profit, so it seems to be a logical route.

From the standpoint of finish, quality, and other factors, the 20S is a very well put together gun.  It is very soft shooting and very accurate, but I have only had time to do a quickie zero at 100m and hopefully can get out on the 1000 yard range this weekend.  The anodizing on the first batch is also more "golden sand" than "dark earth", but this is something that will change from batch to batch anyway.  A few years ago at Milipol, the FDE SCARs on FN's stand had this same color variation.  I think this was mentioned as a knock on the first set of pictures, but isn't a quality or a finish issue.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Minus the select fire portion I believe it's the same.
View Quote
The MK20 isn't select fire.  FN does make a Euro SCAR variant that is.  That is the SCAR H-PR and H-TPR
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Roughly speaking.....
SCAR 17S - $3000
20" FNH barrel - $1,200

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roughly speaking.....
SCAR 17S - $3000
20" FNH barrel - $1,200

Don't forget the extended rail. That is what, $125-150 aftermarket? It still wouldn't be a 20s (Mk20) and would be a 17s that one tried to cobble together as a Frankenstein clone.

The price for the 20s isn't out of line imo.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Anecdotally, if I compare my 20S to MK20 variants I have seen, they appear to be the same specs.  One key thing is that the MK20 is a FN Belgium product since mil/gov guns are exempt from "non-sporting" import bans and other foolishness, and until the laws change you can't get the exact same gun. The 20S is made here, likely has a US barrel, and has a Geissele trigger.  The MK20 has imported parts for all of that.  If FN just moved a machine across the Atlantic, the output would be identical.

It is just speculation, but for the bolt, carrier, screws, springs, small parts, etc. I would doubt that FN would have two different production lines for all of that.  Doing so would be pretty expensive, and shipping from Belgium is cheaper and faster than setting up a bunch of sub component suppliers and production lines.  Probably anything that is not required to be US made is going to be the same for both. Again, this is speculation, but I assume FN likes to make a profit, so it seems to be a logical route.

From the standpoint of finish, quality, and other factors, the 20S is a very well put together gun.  It is very soft shooting and very accurate, but I have only had time to do a quickie zero at 100m and hopefully can get out on the 1000 yard range this weekend.  The anodizing on the first batch is also more "golden sand" than "dark earth", but this is something that will change from batch to batch anyway.  A few years ago at Milipol, the FDE SCARs on FN's stand had this same color variation.  I think this was mentioned as a knock on the first set of pictures, but isn't a quality or a finish issue.
View Quote
Actually the SCARS are made in Belgium, there are just a few finishing touches here in the USA after they are imported.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The MK20 isn't select fire.  FN does make a Euro SCAR variant that is.  That is the SCAR H-PR and H-TPR
View Quote
Thanks, didn't know that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I am sure somebody will post a comparison eventually but basically the 20 has a heavier barrel, secures it via 3 cross bolts opposed to 2. should lead to more consistency. it has a more durable stock ,A longer receiver

the only reason why the 20 would be considered superior is the heavier barrel which is either not compatible with the 17 or will not be sold by FN.  But its still a 308... So IMO, dropping a aftermarket 6.5CM would lead to a more capable rifle
View Quote
The lack of barrel compatibility makes sense given the variation in number of attachment bolts.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Actually the SCARS are made in Belgium, there are just a few finishing touches here in the USA after they are imported.
View Quote
Yes, the 16 and 17 are. The civilian 20 is made here.  FNUSA is the manufacturer, not FN Herstal.  The box for mine also said “made in USA”.  The MK20 is made in Belgium. For the mil model MK16&17, there’s no “finishing” needed since they’re exempt from import bans that require modifications to get around them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#40]
@TAHK or others that have the new 20s, any range reviews of it yet? Real world experience?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Sent mine back last Friday back to FN for warranty service- missing two screws on the rail. Emailed FN ask them to mail me the screws, they sent me a FedEx label and told me I have to ship the gun back to get it fixed
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Just saw an email, holy crap its here!

Apparently I'm late to the party. Hope the QC gets better lol. Anyone know if Scar 17 mags are compatible?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just saw an email, holy crap its here!

Apparently I'm late to the party. Hope the QC gets better lol. Anyone know if Scar 17 mags are compatible?
View Quote
Yes. SCAR 17 mags work the with the 20. Actually the whole lower trigger housing should be compatible. The stocks as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Awesome, congrats!
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The civilian 20 is made here.  FNUSA is the manufacturer, not FN Herstal.  The box for mine also said “made in USA”.
View Quote
For being domestically produced it's interesting these rifles still feature the ground down magwell blocking pin that is typically associated with accommodating import restrictions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#46]
It's  beautiful
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm curious to hear how well it does at long range with the barrel twist it has.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm curious to hear how well it does at long range with the barrel twist it has.
View Quote
People are way to obsessed with barrel twist. My FN SPR A3G has a 1 in 12 twist as well. I can pretty consistently ring a 10” plate at 1,100 yards at the Boulder City range using both 168’s and 175’s.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People are way to obsessed with barrel twist. My FN SPR A3G has a 1 in 12 twist as well. I can pretty consistently ring a 10” plate at 1,100 yards at the Boulder City range using both 168’s and 175’s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was my experience with my FN SPR A1. I suppose I’d just as soon have the 1/10, but my A1 handled 175 FGMMs just fine, and I have no reason to believe the 20S would be any different. I don’t think the .308 1/10 vs 1/12 thing is nearly as important as say a .223 shooting 77s from a 1/9 or 1/7 (even then, a lot of times that works fine as well). At least it has be been in my limited experience. I think the barrel maker has a lot to do with this, and FN seems to have it figured out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#50]
We received a 20S today and someone at FN smashed the small nub on the lower into the bolt catch. The nub is mangled, and enough plastic has been deformed that it prevents the bolt catch from rotating.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top