Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2022 11:28:54 PM EDT
Who makes the best reproduction and how much will it cost me?

Thanks!

EDIT -  I ordered one from Access Heritage, very impressive - great spark, just need to get the vent hole drilled.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

Pedersoli, Pretty close to the cost of an original.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/pedersoli-brown-bess-musket-75-cal-flintlock-s-260
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI thing

Not sure it is worth anything, Pedersoli is used by Colonial Williamsburg by their reenactments.

I am uncertain about this company, I was thinking about contacting them.

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/M1BB.shtml
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FPNI thing

Not sure it is worth anything, Pedersoli is used by Colonial Williamsburg by their reenactments.

View Quote

As far as Middlesex village - they are pretty well known in reenacting circles - basically most of their models imported as wall decoration, from India, then they drill out the power flash channel to make them a musket. Supposedly lower grade steel. Some say they work ok although fit and finish may not be the best, but there was one incident where someone double charged a barrel at a reenactment and it blew up, so they have sort of a bad rep, but I don't know if it is deserved or not.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Just FYI.  Bess is lighter and balances better than one might think.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Pedersoli Bess.

Dixie Gun Works also makes a good Bess.

Those are the top 2, IMHO.

You're likely looking at $1500-$2000 for either.

There are some decent "non-firing" repros coming out of India that can be had for a few hundred.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
MidwayUSA sells Pedersolis, its been in my wish list a few years
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
If you end up shooting a lot get an extra frizzen or learn how to reharden it after you scrape off the hardened steel.
I have rehardened one time, but it is nice to have an extra frizzen around too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#8]
They are fun!

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As far as Middlesex village - they are pretty well known in reenacting circles - basically most of their models imported as wall decoration, from India, then they drill out the power flash channel to make them a musket. Supposedly lower grade steel. Some say they work ok although fit and finish may not be the best, but there was one incident where someone double charged a barrel at a reenactment and it blew up, so they have sort of a bad rep, but I don't know if it is deserved or not.

View Quote

Thanks for that insight. I was wondering if the guns were legit or wall decoration pieces.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
There have been 2 decent reproductions for years (without getting into custom guns). The Italian made Pedersoli and the Japanese made Miroku (sold though Dixie Gun Works). The Pedersoli has the better wood and fit/finish. The Miroku is a bit more crude in finish (and has trigger guard that looks flattened) but it is thought to have a better barrel and lock.  I have a Miroku that I made from a Dixie Gun Works kit 30 years ago. It had performed flawlessly for thousands of shots (see video above).

The Indian guns (Middlesex, Loyalist, etc) are suspect at best. You'll occasionally hear of someone actually shooting one, but more reports of having to extensively rework the lock and possible safety issues.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FPNI thing

View Quote
Run from those guy!  

one of many bad reviews of them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Current Pedersoli Bess's are not what they once were.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/a-pedersoli-brown-bess-kit.147669/

Dave is a master gun builder.  Read the thread to see what he thinks of current guns.

If you doubt his opinion, look at his history their.  The guy knows flintlocks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Current Pedersoli Bess's are not what they once were.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/a-pedersoli-brown-bess-kit.147669/

Dave is a master gun builder.  Read the thread to see what he thinks of current guns.

If you doubt his opinion, look at his history their.  The guy knows flintlocks.
View Quote

I saw that, makes one think.

All in all, I'm leaning towards Loyalist Arms.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:37:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Outside of a custom make, there are no current Brown Besses that are true to the originals. The Pedersoli will be made well, but it's not a copy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Pedersoli Bess.  My wife bought it for me a couple of years ago.  It is a hoot and blast to shoot it.  The lock is robust and sparks very well/reliably.  I’ve killed a few squirrels with mine.  I’m not certain I could connect with a deer (using .69 caliber paper cartridges).  The musket goes with me on every range visit!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I had to work on a Middlesex Village Bess whose lock dropped only to 1/2 cock.  Tumbler needed a spot of weld to build it up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Pic in OP
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#18]
So are the access heritage guns considered good to go or are they in the same category as the Indian guns?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By @K1rodeoboater:
So are the access heritage guns considered good to go or are they in the same category as the Indian guns?
View Quote

They are Indian guns.
Just that they're staff isn't as proficient as Loyalist Arms personnel. I've got a serious hankering for one of their Baker Rifles. Yeah, I know their stuff is all smoothbores.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/bakerifle.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They are Indian guns.
Just that they're staff isn't as proficient as Loyalist Arms personnel. I've got a serious hankering for one of their Baker Rifles. Yeah, I know their stuff is all smoothbores.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/bakerifle.html
View Quote

Loyalist Arms has the best rep of any of the Indian musket distributors. I am ordering a percussion musket from them.

Stay away from Middlesex Trading Company. He demands 50% down payment that you may not get back if he doesn't deliver.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought an Indian made Bess. Shot it maybe 30 times without incident. I was using historically incorrect patched round balls, and noticed that the bore got loose about 8” from the breech face. So I took it to Ed Rayl, and he made me a beautiful barrel for it. It is very accurate. He told me that the chamber area on the original barrel was probably loose due to excessive polishing in that area.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks!

EDIT -  I ordered one from Access Heritage, very impressive - great spark, just need to get the vent hole drilled.

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/lf5st7.jpg
View Quote

See, even though this is foreign made and cheap it looks like a dream and it looks fucking amazing!

How is it not authentic exactly? And is it simply a higher probably of getting a lemon for this price or is it just cheaper overall?

At 599$ I’m in all day, everyday., but what exactly should I fear?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#23]
DO NOT BUY FROM MIDDLESEX!!!!  

They lie about inventory. I’ve been waiting Four and a half YEARS on a double barrel flintlock pistol.
Guy has been sitting on my money all the while.

DO NOT BUY FROM MIDDLESEX.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
DO NOT BUY FROM MIDDLESEX!!!!  

They lie about inventory. I've been waiting Four and a half YEARS on a double barrel flintlock pistol.
Guy has been sitting on my money all the while.

DO NOT BUY FROM MIDDLESEX.
View Quote
Sounds like a road trip might be in order
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Update from OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top