Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2024 12:09:06 PM EDT
I had a M1A standard years ago and while suffering from a bad case of sudden onset dumb ass syndrome I sold it.  

I have a LOT of surplus 7.62 squirreled away for the FAL's and while digging around in the gun room yesterday I discovered that   I still have 10 new Checkmate M1A Magazines and nothing to use them in.

I realize that this is a sign from the universe that I should buy another M1A and who am I to argue with the universe?

My dilemma is whether to buy another standard or a Scout Squad model.

The rifle will see range use and possibly hog and deer hunting at ranges of 300 yards or less (mostly less) so I'm thinking the shorter barrel of the SS might be a better option but I'm hoping for some input from the SME's here.

Is muzzle blast and noise considerably different between the two models?

Do USGI type stocks and replacement parts fit the Scout Squad rifle?

Get both is not an option, It's either one or the other so which would you choose for my intended use?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally,  I have a "Tanker" Garand in 7.62, a Polytech M14s and if I was buying something today it would either be a BM59(variant) or one of Springfields short barrel models (Bush,Scout,whatever)

*and in before you're berated for not buy practical shoes
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Short barrel muzzle blast is very noticeable to me but I’m used to carrying around a National Match and a Super Match. I have a “tankerized” Garand and it’s not a lot of fun to shoot. That being said, under 300 yards and hunting with ear pro I’d probably go with the lighter rifle
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#3]
I don’t own the shorty one, but I’ve shot it a lot.  That damn brake would be gone, otherwise I kinda liked it.  Don’t like the poor optic mounting options, but if that doesn’t bother you, why not?

We tried this on the forward rail.  Not ideal at all.  Probably a non magnified dot would be good.

Attachment Attached File

I’ll add this, I yanked the brake on a 308 AR and put this griffin on, only a small increase in recoil.  Huge reduction in blast.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
buy an ar10                         send me the mags
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
you dont need one.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I don't own the shorty one, but I've shot it a lot.  That damn brake would be gone, otherwise I kinda liked it.  Don't like the poor optic mounting options, but if that doesn't bother you, why not?

We tried this on the forward rail.  Not ideal at all.  Probably a non magnified dot would be good.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_5639_jpeg-3137483.JPG

I'll add this, I yanked the brake on a 308 AR and put this griffin on, only a small increase in recoil.  Huge reduction in blast.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_0768_jpeg-3137489.JPG

View Quote

Good points and if I choose the Scout Squad rifle the muzzle break/noise enhancer is coming off and a standard flash hider will take it's place.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ar_mcadams:
you dont need one.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
My $.02 is the SS w/ this ... Bassett mount
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:

Good points and if I choose the Scout Squad rifle the muzzle break/noise enhancer is coming off and a standard flash hider will take it's place.
View Quote

That stock springer brake was effective AF.  Damn under range cover it sucked.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Be different.  Get a Shuff’s BM-59 Mag Fed Garand.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#11]

You need three.
The blast on the Scout isn't as bad as the Tanker/SOCOM. You can switch it out for a standard M14/M1A hider.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep an eye out for a Chinese gun, they are underappreciated and undervalued IMHO.  I got one for $1050 that came with a USGI trigger group, magazine and stock.  It isn't a pretty as a Springfield, but it is all forged with a chrome lined bore.  It scratches my M14 itch.  I'm probably going to mount a Cogburn micro prism mount and put a Primary Arms 3x micro prism on it.  It'll be my Blackhawk Down 'ish' clone.

I also realized I had about 6-7 Checkmate mags sitting in my parts bin (along with several dozen HK-91 mags).  I was thinking of either a PTR-91 or M14 when I won the Norinco.  I get on Gunbroker when I need a break at work.
I enter a low bid or up to what I want to pay and get back to work.  At the end of the day, I find out if I won or now.  Now I'm keeping my eye out for either a PTR-91KP3 (12.5" PTR clone) or a 16" PTR-91.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
LRB if one's within reach.

I have two LRB receiver/SEI barrel/Blackfeather chassis rifles that are the most accurate semiautomatics I've ever shot or witnessed being shot. Even better than my JP LRI-20.

The internet says M14s suck though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d say a standard length but then again if you suppress the Scout version it might be fun to shoot.

Maybe something to motivate you or demotivate…

https://armourersbench.com/2022/06/12/m14s-in-ukraine/

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the M1A and despite the 22” barrel it points very well.  Unless you are in *very* dense cover there is zero benefit to a scout squad.  They sell a lot of the, based on the cool factor but it is by far the least practical and least effective M1A model sold.  Accuracy is poor, they are loud, and the balance is poor for off hand shooting.

The BM-59 isn’t as accurate as the average M1A but it’s still more than accurate enough for the more common 200-300 yards shots.

The overall length of the BM-59 is very similar to the M1A, but it handles better than the M1A with better balance.  It’s particularly better in rapid fire as the tri compensator muzzle device is actually very effective at managing both recoil and muzzle flash.  

The BM-59 magazines are less common and more expensive, but they extremely well made.  That’s in part due to a different tactical doctrine used by the Italians.   Where the US based their infantry load out for the M14 on a magazine in the rifle and six spare loaded magazines on the webbing, the Italian military based their combat load out on one magazine in the rifle with one spare and the rest of the combat load in stripper clips loaded via a cartridge guide in the receiver.  The M14 was also designed with a cartridge guide to top off the magazine in the rifle using stripper clips, but it was an ancillary feature with ammo in fully loaded spare magazines being the norm.

The end result of that difference is BM-59 magazines that are very robust and very well made, even by M14 standards.

The bipod on the BM-59 is practical, but if you want a lighter and shorter rifle, you can remove the bipod and swap the muzzle device out for a BM-59E style flash hider.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top