Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2018 10:15:15 AM EDT
<----- long-time gun guy, FFL, collector, lots of guns, lots of experience.
<------ reloading set-up currently includes a Rockchucker and three shotgun reloaders. Have all sorts of do-dads already.
<------- doesn't really enjoy reloading but does it reluctantly to coax better performance out of rifles, save money on expensive types of shotshells

So, I've been on a revolver kick lately. My collection of S&W revolvers has more than doubled in recent months (more than a dozen now) so I'm shooting a fair amount of .38 special. Refuse to pay factory prices for .38 special. Last week I spent several nights working up some .38 special rounds on the Rockchucker. Man, what a pain in the ass. Thinking about buying a Square Deal and cranking through some of the brass and bullets I have stowed away.

Yes, I know it's pistol only. I don't plan on changing calibers. If I like it and decide to start loading 9mm (I currently buy factory rounds on sale) I'd probably just buy another press.
I don't need to load rifle calibers. The Rockchucker does fine for the quantities I need. I can't see reloading .223 blasting ammo. It;s not that big a deal to make precision ammo on a single stage.

I'm not looking for a do-all solution. Just something to make creating .38 special more efficient.

Any reason not to pick up a Square Deal? Any better alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I love my SDB!  My plan is to eventually get one for each of my high volume pistol calibers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I really liked the size and functionality of the SD when I saw it on display at Dillon two weeks ago.

They appeared to sell quick change conversations for other calibers. Why do folks buy one for each caliber? Is the conversion difficult?

I like my 550’s for running low volume stuff (prefer 1050s).

Do SD’s have a case feeder option?
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I really enjoy my SDB.  Great pistol press.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been very pleased with my SDB. I started reloading 357 mags, then got a 9mm conversion kit with spare powder hopper and tool head stand. Keeps everything pretty organized on the bench. I also recommend getting the cover for it if your reloading bench is set up in a garage like mine to keep saw dust and other crap of it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking along the same lines, of adding SDB's for three or four handgun cartridges.  Then I look at the LEE classic turret press ...

I have a bad procrastination fault when it comes to spending on expensive things, but I seldom have regrets.
View Quote
Having recently gotten into a Lee Classic Turret press, I gotta say I regret not going to that setup earlier.  The investment is small, but the quality and stoutness of the press is very, very good.  It is backed up by a long time Rock Chucker Supreme for swaging and more precision bolt rifle procedures.

Buying several turrets at $10-$11 a piece allows you to leave certain die sets installed and prepared to go.  This press also allows for rotating indexing when more speed for volume is desired.

I will never poo-poo the better progressive presses.  They are the ultimate for cranking out high numbers.

I have more time now in my life situation, and the turret was a good choice to eliminate as much handling drudgery and fatigue while still being able to keep an eye on quality results.

Everything's somewhat of a compromise.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a 550. You need special dies for the square deal. The 550 will load rifle ammo too. I use mine to crank out m1 garand food.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Love mine. Bought a second one off fleabay and saved at least a c note vs new.

You can also find used die set ups here on the ee or the flea.

No contest between t Lee imho.

No contest between the SDB and the Lee (have both).  You also can't beat the Dillon warranty and service.

BGF.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get a 550. You need special dies for the square deal. The 550 will load rifle ammo too. I use mine to crank out m1 garand food.
View Quote
+1

with the 550, you can use your existing LEE, Hornady, Redding, etc dies

...and it does rifle

Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
+1

...and it does rifle

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

...and it does rifle

Put me in this camp.

If you are getting a smoking deal on a used SDB thats one thing.  But if you are buying NIB the 550 just makes more sense.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I miss my SDB and my 550 but of the two I miss the SDB MORE.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I would buy a 550. In the past I have owned a dozen or so different Dillon Products. Square Deal. 550's and 1050's. They are all great machines. These Days I have a 550 for multiple caliber conversions, a 1050 for dedicated 9mm and a few single stage and turret presses for rifle.

The SD is a nice little press. The 550 gives you a lot more flexibility and more working room to clear a jam.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Last time I looked, there was a very small difference in price between an SDB with two calibers of the required, proprietary DIllon dies, and a 550 with Lee Pistol dies. (Use any dies you like, but AFAIC there's no reason to spend more on pistol dies than Lee.)

For those few extra dollars, you can use any dies you want, have a larger working area, and have the option to do some rifle as well. Seems a small price to pay to keep all future options open.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Not to hijack my own thread, but I have a question . . . Since the machine does everything from deprime to crimp without the case ever being handled, when do you do primer pocket maintenance, trim cases, etc?
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm thinking along the same lines, of adding SDB's for three or four handgun cartridges.  Then I look at the LEE classic turret press ...

I have a bad procrastination fault when it comes to spending on expensive things, but I seldom have regrets.
View Quote
I started with a Lee classic turret, loading 9 and 45. I recently got a SDB because my LCT is just too slow for my 9mm consumption. The SDB is almost 3x as fast, MUCH smoother, and is clearly a higher quality machine.

I’m actually working on a 3D printed case feeder but it’s a little slow going with other hobbies getting in the way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I started out with a rcbs rc in 83 purchased piggyback next for it..

I was not impressed with it at all.. Issue was sizing always seemed to be an issue with it.

I purchase a square deal in 38/357 next.. It worked great set up for a single bullet and cranked out ammo pretty fast..

With reloading 380, 9mm, .40, 10mm, 38/357, 44 mag, 45acp and 45lc. it was not worth purchasing separate square deals. The price of kits to convert of the time wasn't really that much less than purchasing another unit and another unit wasn't cost effective enough for me.

I ended up purchasing 550b in early 90's.. I had dies for all my calibers due to the rcb rc. So it was a natural fit.

I dumped the rcbs piggy back and square deal for almost as much as i paid for it.

The only thing ill add now would be another 550 to make one a large and another small primers so i dont have to change out the parts.

I loaded thousands of thousands around on both the 550 and rcbs rc.. I dont need anything that is bigger than the 550 machine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there separate seating and crimping stations with a SD or do you have to seat and crimp in the same station?
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Station 3 seat, station 4 crimp.
View Quote
Sounds like a neat machine then.  It would be nice to have several setup permanently for different calibers but I couldn't justify the expense now.  If I got unbelievable deal thought it would be neat.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#29]
My idea is if you have dies already?  Then get the 550C.  Don't look back!
If you don't have dies then the SDB is more attractive.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have 3 SDB's, I really like them set up in a caliber. Currently mine are set up in 9mm, 357, and 45 ACP.

They come with a great manual that will help you get it running easily.

One word of caution, if you ever think you may load rifle rounds, get a 550 that will do both rifle and pistol.

Myself, I bought a 550 for rifle rounds.
View Quote
I did exactly the same thing, all my pistols are .40s and the SDB churns out ammo for them just fine. The 550BL is fitted with a Redding BR3 and it handles rifle duty only.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My idea is if you have dies already?  Then get the 550C.  Don't look back!
If you don't have dies then the SDB is more attractive.
View Quote
So, I could use my RCBS dies in the 550? Can I use my Lee Factory Crimp die in the die stage?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So, I could use my RCBS dies in the 550? Can I use my Lee Factory Crimp die in the die stage?
View Quote
550 / 650 / 1050 all use industry std 7/8- 14 thread dies (RCBS, LEE, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, and maybe a few I missed)
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been using my SDB for about 23 years.  I've lost count of the tens of thousands of rounds I've loaded.  380 ACP, 38 spl, .357, .45 SW, .45 ACP.  Conversions take maybe five minutes, seven minutes when I have to change the primer system.  I had one major problem when the frame broke.  Dillon replaced the frame and rebuilt it at the same time.  No charge.

I recently added an XL650 to the stable for rifles.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:19:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup, all dies fit in the 550.  And, I run the Lee Factory Crimp die in a lot of my calibers on my 550.

I'd really recommend the 550 over the SDB: It uses normal dies, can do rifles, and you can get a case feeder for it.  (My next upgrade for it, in fact).  (550 is not much more than a SDB, at least at a quick glance in the Blue Press by my keyboard)

If you are convinced you're going to just do low volume of .38 special, and just want to save some time and efficiency, you may look into a Turret press.  I went from Single Stage to Turret, and that went from 50 rounds an hour to about 100-150.  Course, the 550 is basically a Super Turret, and I load about 350rds/hr on it.  (I am slow and methodical on it though, and no case feeder yet).
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Given the similarity in price and the fact that I already have dies, the hive's recommendation of going with the 550 makes sense. Seems like the only thing I'd give up is the automatic rotation of the SD and perhaps some level of out-of-the-box set up simplicity but I'd gain more future versatility.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#37]
another tip for running the 550

If you need to stop for anything, a phone call, family, etc. . . . make your stopping point when the handle is full downward / press fully upward.

that way, when you start again, there is no chance to pull twice, and create a double charge
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I know this isn’t tech talk but it looks like a new SDB can be had off of eBay for about $350 with their 20% off coupon code today.

Code is PICKDADSGIFT
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I know this isn’t tech talk but it looks like a new SDB can be had off of eBay for about $350 with their 20% off coupon code today.

Code is PICKDADSGIFT
View Quote
Damn. Too late . . .
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#40]
2004 I step into a 650 from a 550..  Mid 2008 I found local SDB for $100 in 9mm,, traded the 9mm kit for a 45acp kit,, as 650 is strictly 9mm duty..

45acp is very minimal load for anymore, so SDB be fine,, though I have average size hands, I find feeding the SDB to be a liitle tight on room.. but it only 45acp,, dont think I have loaded any 45acp in maybe 9yr now,, plenty sitting around
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

another tip for running the 550

If you need to stop for anything, a phone call, family, etc. . . . make your stopping point when the handle is full downward / press fully upward.

that way, when you start again, there is no chance to pull twice, and create a double charge
View Quote
Great advice!  I destroyed a polymer-frame of a .45 just this way (I've since added a light directly over the #3 position to verify *every* load before putting a bullet on).

That kaboom occurred from my getting distracted/poor use of an SDB.  If I had been loading on my 650, it wouldn't have happened, because the 650 is a 5-station press and I have a powder check die in position #3.  The 650 is also more open, making it much easier to see the powder level before bullet seating.

Also, be aware that the opportunities for a double charge are greater than you may think.  Most of the "trick" to using a Dillon is learning to stop when some portion of the stroke doesn't "feel right," so you can clear the problem.  Stroking more than 1/2 way, backing off, and re-stroking is one way to get a double charge (DAMHIK...)
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#42]
By way of wrap-up . . . I bought the Square Deal.

Yeah, I know the 550 is a more versatile machine. I didn't really want or need versatility. I need to load a bunch of .38 specials. I want easy. Minimal set-up. Little fuss or muss. So far, I'm happy. I've loaded 250 rounds so far. The only issues I've had have been failure to seat primers all the way . . . maybe eight or 10 rounds. So far, so good. I'm pretty impressed with this little machine. Yeah, it's a one-trick pony but it seems to do that trick well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought my Square Deal B in 1992.  Loaded thousands of rounds and whenever something breaks they still send me parts for free.  I have bought caliber exchange kits and used them over the years.  Good choice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
By way of wrap-up . . . I bought the Square Deal.

Yeah, I know the 550 is a more versatile machine. I didn't really want or need versatility. I need to load a bunch of .38 specials. I want easy. Minimal set-up. Little fuss or muss. So far, I'm happy. I've loaded 250 rounds so far. The only issues I've had have been failure to seat primers all the way . . . maybe eight or 10 rounds. So far, so good. I'm pretty impressed with this little machine. Yeah, it's a one-trick pony but it seems to do that trick well.
View Quote
Congrats. Does it have primer seating adjustment?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top