Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2018 8:12:29 PM EDT
I've submitted hundreds of form 4s and never have I had to submit with the persons DOB. Now there asking to have thier DOBs so they can determine if they can posses a suppressor. Well I know I dont have to submit their DOB, but might do so just to satisfy them.

Another thing is the second paragraph. Please see picture. Can some decipher what they are asking. Like I said I've submitted hundreds of form 4s and have always put "law Enforcement Official."

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in and give me a few pointers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok great thanks!!  Dumb question,  but who would the CLEO be of a state??
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like they want you to identify the CLEO as "County Sheriff rather than as "Law Enforcement Official." That strikes me as a reasonable request.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
State Police chief comes to mind, or Public Safety director.  Different states use different terms but basically the MFIC of the state troopers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes if I continue to send to them, I will change the wording.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Just for my edification, the CLEO no longer has a "sign off" anymore on Form 4s, right?  It's basically just a notification to them now?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Name/DOB is the standard way to run people through NCIC to check their background. Not unreasonable, and you will have that information on everyone on their 4473, which they already submit. Not overreaching.

They are asking you to title them appropriately, so "XYZ County Sheriff"
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just for my edification, the CLEO no longer has a "sign off" anymore on Form 4s, right?  It's basically just a notification to them now?
View Quote
That is my understanding.  Like a C&R application.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is correct. Our staff just file them away and do nothing with them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Correct, since 41f all I have to do is submit paperwork to CLEO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Father/son at the same residence. And if it's me, there's all sorts if potential fun - my son is the third, and we share a birthday.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m curious who they think is being delayed? Their own file clerk is the only one I cane think of. It certainly isn’t the processing of the form 4.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I would stop sending it to them, and instead submit to:

Travis Hampton, Superintendent
Oregon State Police
3565 Trelstad Avenue SE
Salem, OR 97317
View Quote
It's just going to waste time if they're trying to run people NCIC and respond to you. No good will come of it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I recommend stop sending the CLEO portion to the locals, send it to the state level CLEO.  As for doing what they ask, you are under no legal obligation to do so.
View Quote
+1
Notify Chief of State Police, not the local yokel...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#16]
We have had questions about the title/authority of the person who signed off on Form 4's (back when we had to do it) from NFA branch which no doubt delayed the transfer briefly.
As far as filing them, we don't file shit.  Form 1, Form 4's, C&R, FFL applications, multiple handgun purchases etc...every one of those go straight to the shredder.   If someone wants to know, they can ask the Feds, not us.  We don't collect data on "citizens firearms" period.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have had questions about the title/authority of the person who signed off on Form 4's (back when we had to do it) from NFA branch which no doubt delayed the transfer briefly.
As far as filing them, we don't file shit.  Form 1, Form 4's, C&R, FFL applications, multiple handgun purchases etc...every one of those go straight to the shredder.   If someone wants to know, they can ask the Feds, not us.  We don't collect data on "citizens firearms" period.
View Quote
I take it your giving an LEO point of view and not an FFL, correct?

Just clarifying.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, I am not an FFL, Command Staff at a Sheriff's Office....
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess I’m confused.  Do they still think they have to sign off on something or the processing of the form can be delayed?

From what I understand, they don’t need to conduct a review at all and even if they want to, that “review” isn’t going to have any effect on the ATF processing the Form 1/4, right?

I guess I’m just not seeing what they think they’re accomplishing by doing anything with your notification other than filing it or shredding it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the Sheriff or one of his command staff could call the ATF and advise them of what is taking place. As in I am not providing the required info. I have no idea what the ATF would say to the Sheriff if they did call.

I've got a call into the ATF lady who does my compliance checks. I will see what she has to say. Thanks for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The ATF would probably ask the sheriff's office how they could possibly know that, while also taking them school on how things work post-41F.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think the Sheriff or one of his command staff could call the ATF and advise them of what is taking place. As in I am not providing the required info. I have no idea what the ATF would say to the Sheriff if they did call.

I've got a call into the ATF lady who does my compliance checks. I will see what she has to say. Thanks for all the help guys.
View Quote
Well, I’m definitely in for whatever response you get.  It would appear you’re dealing with an SO who thinks they’re somehow an integral part of the application process, when in reality, in a post-41F world, their role has essentially been reduced to nil.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#23]
As long as the forms are all filled out completely...i.e.........Form 4 and Responsible person questionnaire, then what could the CLEO complain about to the ATF?  You are following the rules and complying with ATF regulations.   I have my customers do the CLEO dropoff, I do not handle that portion.  I print out all the forms, and fill out my appropriate info, then they are responsible for the Form 4 and RPQ and CLEO dropoff as well as mailing the forms to the ATF.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I recommend stop sending the CLEO portion to the locals, send it to the state level CLEO.  As for doing what they ask, you are under no legal obligation to do so.
View Quote
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I guess I’m confused.  Do they still think they have to sign off on something or the processing of the form can be delayed?

From what I understand, they don’t need to conduct a review at all and even if they want to, that “review” isn’t going to have any effect on the ATF processing the Form 1/4, right?

I guess I’m just not seeing what they think they’re accomplishing by doing anything with your notification other than filing it or shredding it.
View Quote
I think they're confused and are still running LRCs on the Form 4s he submits to them.

If you continue submitting the notification to them, I can see titling them appropriately, but wouldn't provide any additional applicant info to them.  Might be worth a phone call to clarify with them depending on your relationship and their attitude.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dumb question,  but who would the CLEO be of a state??
View Quote
Dumb Answer: Read the instructions on the form.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Name/DOB is the standard way to run people through NCIC to check their background. Not unreasonable, and you will have that information on everyone on their 4473, which they already submit. Not overreaching.
View Quote
The information an FFL collects is specified by Federal Law, and is protected by Federal Law. FFLs are not permitted to give that out, except as specified by Federal Law. Asking an FFL to provide information not legally required, for a reason not authorized is, "unreasonable". The instructions on the form for CLEO is quite clear, CLEO should read them and follow them.

For the FFL, the best practice is to follow the law exactly. I myself have sent everything to TX/AG for decades.

I would avoid confrontation on the issue and just start sending the forms to someone else.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I’m curious who they think is being delayed? Their own file clerk is the only one I cane think of. It certainly isn’t the processing of the form 4.
View Quote
They are clueless.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
AG
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
AG
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Oregon
Ellen F. Rosenblum
Attorney General
Oregon Department of Justice
1162 Court ST NE
Salem, OR 97301-4096
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Oregon State Patrol maintains all of the records concerning guns in the state or OR, Just helped a friend of mine get an OR conviction expunged and the AG told us to send everything to the OSP.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#33]
It doesn't matter which CLEO you send them to.
It doesn't matter if they maintain the record or not.

My sheriff throws them away.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I would tell the sheriff to get bent.

Send it to the state attorney general next time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The information an FFL collects is specified by Federal Law, and is protected by Federal Law. FFLs are not permitted to give that out, except as specified by Federal Law. Asking an FFL to provide information not legally required, for a reason not authorized is, "unreasonable". The instructions on the form for CLEO is quite clear, CLEO should read them and follow them.

For the FFL, the best practice is to follow the law exactly. I myself have sent everything to TX/AG for decades.

I would avoid confrontation on the issue and just start sending the forms to someone else.
View Quote
Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#36]
.02. Unless the State has separate rules you need to follow..?
From the Federal POV. You complied with the law and made notifications as required.
Ignore them and continue to comply with the Federal rules.
Should the Local LEA send you another request or something more ominous..? The reply could be..
We are not asking permission. We are making notifications as per the Federal mandates. The information included is all that is required CFR..? Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top