Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2020 11:00:44 PM EDT
My son is on the high school shooting team. He's 15. They shoot skeet, bows, & .22's.
The .22's are 5 rounds each at 50 feet, standing, kneeling, sitting & prone. I am interested
in buying an air rifle for him to practice with here in the driveway to somewhat duplicate
or practice for his 10/22 with a 3-9 scope. .177 or .22. Would prefer single pump, or PCP,
but I have never had a PCP.

Input please.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#2]
PCP airguns require a way to fill to high pressure ~3000 psi.  This is done with either a tank SCUBA or SCBA, or a hand pump.  With the low velocity you will want for 10 meter
to 50 ft. target practice, one will get many shots before having to refill the rifle. A hand pump, then, is not all that bad---especially for someone young.

I'm going to suggest something like a Crosman Challenger, or the Airforce Edge. Though made for ten meter target shooting with aperture iron sights, these can easily be
scoped, and do not require any special scopes or mounts.  The same model scope can be put on as he uses on his rimfire.

For the hand pump, I suggest the Hill, now branded by Air Venturi.  Being that you are in a fairly humid climate (not like the high desert here), you will want the air drier, and
keep the drying media refreshed.

The chief advantage to a SCUBA or SCBA tank is that you don't have to worry about drying the air, unless you buy a compressor to fill the tank yourself.  But, that is a whole
different level of commitment to airguns.

Single Stroke pneumatics like the Daisy 853, do work well, but the shooter must break position to charge the rifle for each shot.  This is not as much of a problem for slow fire,
but for anything timed or relatively rapid fire, this can be tiring.

ETA: @ThePontificator  This is not GD.  You may want to edit your post above.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Many thanks Dave!

At the Grumpy Pontificater, not so much.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran across this Umarex to research, as well.

UMAREX FUSION 2 QUIET CO2 PELLET RIFLE .177 COMPACT AIRGUN

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Though Umarex has a lot of interesting looking airguns,  I find the quality quite lacking in execution.  They seem to want to produce
a lot of choices, but they fail in finding out what works, is ergonomic, and then providing a few good and worthwhile guns.

The relatively inexpensive target airguns I posted above are capable of holding groups much better than most can hold, even from
a benchrest.  One's benchrest technique needs to be pretty good to see what these guns are actually capable with the right pellet.

I did fail to mention pellet choices in my post above.  For indoor use, even to 25 yards, the target wadcutter pellets will generally
do the best.  There may be a bit of difference between the various makes, and you will need to experiment a bit to find out which
seem to shoot the best in your particular rifle.  However, you cannot go too wrong with H&N  Match Rifle and RWS Meisterkuglen
pellets to start with.  There are other much more expensive match pellets, but unless you want to win a Gold at the Olymipics they
won't be worth it.

For outdoor use with a bit of wind, then domed pellets work better.  With the 10 meter rifle velocities (power level) the 7 to 9 grain
pellets are going to be better (generally) than the heavier 10 to 11 grain ones.  JSB is the maker of some of the best pellets, but
some rifles may prefer a different make.  Here, I suggest trying the JSB 8.4 grain Exact pellets alongside H&N Field Target Trophy.
One may group better than the other.  One other note, if your bore is a bit big, or small, both can be had in different head sizes
(which is the important part of airgun accuracy).  H&N pellets have a better variety here.  Crosman Premier is another brand that
may do better in some rifles.

Note: I have competed with a 10 meter airgun in outdoor benchrest matches at 25 meters.  I was in the spring gun class with my
FWB 300S one year, and took second place.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Dave.

Understood.

Duly noted.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want the same form factor, there’s an Umarex Co2 10/22 now. The trigger is heavier than a real 10/22 but you can lighten the pull by racking the handle before each shot. It takes scope mounts and if you practice at closer range with reduced size targets it’s pretty good training for kiddo’s.

Ruger 1022 Air Rifle Pellet Gun Airgun Review : Umarex Airguns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top