Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 11:52:43 PM EDT
The part that fit s into the receiver where the screw holds it all together has split! The wood isn’t anything amazing to look at so it’s not a real loss, but does anyone have suggestions on where to get new wood?

I’d prefer not getting a new project with a semi inletted type stock set...
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I googled “marlin 336 replacement stock” and came up with a whole lot of options, including Boyd’s and Brownells...
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If it doesn't have JM stamped on it, I would sell it and just buy another one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Any missing chunks?  If not why not just repair it with some epoxy and some brass screws?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Midwest Gun Works
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it doesn't have JM stamped on it, I would sell it and just buy another one.
View Quote
It does. It’s a mid 70’s made JM. I’m not letting it go anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any missing chunks?  If not why not just repair it with some epoxy and some brass screws?
View Quote
I could try that I suppose. The wood is quite plain, I was kinda hoping to upgrade to something nicer to look at and because the stock is now damaged, it’s a good chance to upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If it’s a straight grip I may be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I could try that I suppose. The wood is quite plain, I was kinda hoping to upgrade to something nicer to look at and because the stock is now damaged, it's a good chance to upgrade.
View Quote
Figured I'd suggest it since you're otherwise looking at a minimum $300 prospect for a laminate set and much higher for a nice fancy grain hardwood set.

If you've got woodworking skills those stocks are about as easy as it gets.  The handguard will prove to be the toughest part to replicate.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Check the big Gun Auction site. There are options from $50 to $125. An outfit out of Canada has Marlin Parts listed $20 shipping in N America.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check the big Gun Auction site. There are options from $50 to $125. An outfit out of Canada has Marlin Parts listed $20 shipping in N America.
View Quote
I've used them and they are GTG. $125 for a walnut set.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:08:07 AM EDT
[#11]
eBay look for a second I got mine for 25 bucks one small knot on the bottom already filled and sanded nice stock
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Warhawk

It's the pistol grip. Could I convert it to a straight grip? I prefer the look....
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Warhawk

It's the pistol grip. Could I convert it to a straight grip? I prefer the look....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Warhawk

It’s not a simple conversion.  You have to modify the trigger plate and lever, plus the stock itself.

Should be something on YT about the conversion, if not check the Marlin Owners forum.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#14]
A few years back (2010) I was fixing up an old Glenfield 30/30 that a neighbor had let rust.
The rust was 99% surface rust, so I bought it from him for a "project gun".
I've never been real excited about 30/30 as they are so common, so I sent it to J.E.S. Reboring and had it converted to .356 Winchester.
I finished the metal in Grey Cerakote, and the cheap Birch stock looked like hell as it was water damaged.
I got this "deluxe" Walnut stock from Marlin for $200. I was pretty happy with the figure in the wood.
If you didn't want to go that fancy, a regular stock set shouldn't be much over a hundred.
Don't overlook the obvious, call Marlin first before getting a Boyd replacement, etc.

Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@Warhawk

View Quote
@SecurityForcesmember

I might be able to help you out. Let me check my parts and I will get back to you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I have the straight stock components.
Gotta warn you though, they are like hens teeth and not cheap.
If you have some trade fodder, let me know.
In really good shape too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://i.postimg.cc/bNG42SxD/IMG-2141.jpg
View Quote
Nice, thanks. I’m going to call Marlin tomorrow and PM you after I speak with them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A few years back (2010) I was fixing up an old Glenfield 30/30 that a neighbor had let rust.
The rust was 99% surface rust, so I bought it from him for a "project gun".
I've never been real excited about 30/30 as they are so common, so I sent it to J.E.S. Reboring and had it converted to .356 Winchester.
I finished the metal in Grey Cerakote, and the cheap Birch stock looked like hell as it was water damaged.
I got this "deluxe" Walnut stock from Marlin for $200. I was pretty happy with the figure in the wood.
If you didn't want to go that fancy, a regular stock set shouldn't be much over a hundred.
Don't overlook the obvious, call Marlin first before getting a Boyd replacement, etc.
https://i.imgur.com/GPSW2BZh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WFCOL24h.jpg
View Quote
Wow, that looks very nice. How much fitting was required?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://i.postimg.cc/bNG42SxD/IMG-2141.jpg
View Quote
I’ve got a stock to go with that.  Guide gun take off I think.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#20]
No fitting required, it slipped right on. All my other Marlins have been straight grip ones, more for the looks than feel.
The pistol grip stock does feel nice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Boyds stock set on the way right now. I'll get some pics when they come in. Definitely not $300
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally came in and installed today.

I can't be happier, looks great and fit even better than stock.

This is the nutmeg laminated stock set, on my new Marlin 1894C. I shorted the tube and front sight base slightly and had the barrel threaded.

Link Posted: 1/31/2019 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It’s not a simple conversion.  You have to modify the trigger plate and lever, plus the stock itself.

Should be something on YT about the conversion, if not check the Marlin Owners forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Warhawk

Better off buying a straight grip rifle. Easiest way to convert is replace the lever and the lower tang/trigger assembly. Cheapest way is replace lever,heat and straighten the lower tang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top