Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
One of my gearhead buddies has been askin' about making bullets so today we tried it out.  No real science involved, just sketched out what we think a 9mm should look like and then went to work on the lathe.  They look pretty good but testing will show for sure.

Top pic is various iterations.  Final version (below) weighs 87 grains and is 360 brass.  It's a hollow point boat tail with a drive band (I think that's what it's called?) in the middle of the straight section (does that have a specific name?).  Pay no mind to the tit, it was removed before weighing.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Couple questions-

Are there any golden ratios with respect to diameter vs nose length or straight section?

What about the boat tail length, what should we be striving for there?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Ever fired a 9mm FMJ that you liked? Copy the shape. Me, I partial to 124 gr RNFP's.

Boat Tail on a pistol bullet?  Boat tails don't do much until they get past 300 yds. So no need for one.
View Quote
The boat tail was as much for ease of loading as anything else.

I'm sure we'll try other nosecone shapes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Those are beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Flat based bullets load easy if cases are properly belled.

I use a Lyman M ide for this.
View Quote
Good to know.  If you can't tell, I am not a reloader.  
Originally Posted By carcrazysammy:
Those are beautiful.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Those look very nice, indeed.

I'd be wary of an inconsistent diameter with solid bullets raising pressures when loading them hot.  

The old H construction bullets had a relief cut in the middle of the bullet like yours does, and the Herter's wasp waist design had what looks like a rolled in dish in the middle of the shank.

A long time ago, I bought some 0.300" Carcano bullets to load with lead bullet gas checks.  The idea was to load these barely seated for speed in a 26" 30-06.  Never got around to it, and now I am packing away my garage again for another move.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice !
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:02:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#8]
Nicely done!

I'm not familiar with 360 brass and any beneficial properties it may have as a projectile over copper. Is there a reason it was chosen or did you just use material that was available?  

Curious what you used to machine these with. We had swiss screw machines at my last job that had bar feeders attached. They could really crank out a lot of parts. Brass was a favorite material for the machinists because it machined so well.

I wouldn't really call those boat tailed bullets. Looks more like a significant chamfer on the rear which is fine. An edge break is really all you need but the chamfer would make them easier to load with less belling of the case mouth required when loading.

Not sure if you've seen this website before, but might give you some ideas on bullet profiles for monolithic bullets. https://lehighdefense.com/reloading-bullets.html

ETA: added "required" above to clarify meaning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#9]
Great work, super cool project.

Fort Scott Munitions makes the 80gr 9mm TUI projectile, which is a pretty simple 'point cone' profile. That seems like it would be easiest to machine.

80gr on left:

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Elwood_Blues:
Those look very nice, indeed.

I'd be wary of an inconsistent diameter with solid bullets raising pressures when loading them hot.  

View Quote
After we got settled in the diameters bounced around at .3552 - .3544.
Originally Posted By Blowout:
Nicely done!

I'm not familiar with 360 brass and any beneficial properties it may have as a projectile over copper. Is there a reason it was chosen or did you just use material that was available?  

Curious what you used to machine these with. We had swiss screw machines at my last job that had bar feeders attached. They could really crank out a lot of parts. Brass was a favorite material for the machinists because it machined so well.

I wouldn't really call those boat tailed bullets. Looks more like a significant chamfer on the rear which is fine. An edge break is really all you need but the chamfer would make them easier to load with less belling of the case mouth when loading.

Not sure if you've seen this website before, but might give you some ideas on bullet profiles for monolithic bullets. https://lehighdefense.com/reloading-bullets.html
View Quote
Brass is easy to machine and relatively dense.  Makes it easier to keep the diameter in check.

These were done a Mazak QT15n.

The point is a tangential ogive, we wanted a secant ogive but I don't think that version of Mazatrol is up to the task.

I'm glad to see these are getting compliments, I had no idea what to expect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
After we got settled in the diameters bounced around at .3552 - .3544.
Brass is easy to machine and relatively dense.  Makes it easier to keep the diameter in check.

These were done a Mazak QT15n.

The point is a tangential ogive, we wanted a secant ogive but I don't think that version of Mazatrol is up to the task.

I'm glad to see these are getting compliments, I had no idea what to expect.
View Quote

Brass might be soft enough for a form tool you custom grind, lol.

Yeah, those are pretty.  Might make a good, deep penetrating bear load. For a hotter cartridge like 357Sig a simple truncated cone profile would work.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

Brass might be soft enough for a form tool you custom grind, lol.

Yeah, those are pretty.  Might make a good, deep penetrating bear load. For a hotter cartridge like 357Sig a simple truncated cone profile would work.  
View Quote
I think the guy's end game is for some .357 based rifle.  

Like I said- he's the reloader, I just make what he wants.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 243winxb] [#13]
Barnes has load data for a 95 gr copper bullet.  The boatail will not bulge the case on loading. A good thing, as long copper bullets may be seated deeper in the 9mm Luger, tapered case.
Copper makes a longer bullet, when compared to a jacketed lead core bullet, of the same weight.

Your bullet diameter may be undersize for some 9mm Luger barrels?  Bullets will be riding on the lands, mostly.  Less pressure.

Your not a handloader? Will anyone test fire the beautiful bullets?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 243winxb:
Barnes has load data for a 95 gr copper bullet.  The boatail will not bulge the case on loading. A good thing as long copper bullets may be seated deeper in the case.

Your bullet diameter may be undersize for some 9mm Luger barrels?  Bullets will be riding on the lands, mostly.  Less pressure.

Your not a handloader? Will anyone test fire the beautiful bullets?

View Quote
Yes, the guy I made them for will load and test them.

I'll see if I can get load and chrono data to share, when he does it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#15]
The 9mm Luger Barnes data for the 95-grain TAC-XP  may be useful for a starting load?

The Barnes bullet will produce more pressure because of a full, longer bearing surface.  Plus its  heavier.

IF copper alloys are close in same hardness?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Copper isn't really an option for turned bullets, at least not for me.  It's so gummy that it's hard to keep size and finish acceptable.

I could make a custom die, if desired, but want to see where the machined solids go first.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Check out Lehigh Defense for inspiration!  I bought some 44 and 45 cal bullets from them.

Paladin

https://lehighdefense.com/
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Here was the drawing we used for inspiration-
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I've spent considerable time researching and pondering custom turned bullets. I have a self converted cnc lathe driven with ballscrews that can hold the tolerances required and devised a method for a bar feed using the carriage and pneumatic collet, but the cost/bullet is the main deterrent.

Another major problem is the "relief grooves" or whatever they're called that allows the material removed by the rifling to collect and prevent excess pressure. From what I gather, without those the copper can be removed from the front and be progressively friction welded to the rear, increasing the diameter of the bullet. On the flip side, too much relief area will result in an unstable round with too low of pressure.

My interest has since turned to using already common, cheap factory bullets that can be modified with cnc. My first trials will be for a cost effective substitute for the popular 300 blkout "subx" bullets since I regularly load and shoot suppressed. The plan is to spin factory fmj or something like Berry's 220 plated in a collet, bore a hollow point into the nose and laser cut expansion lines. Next inserting an aluminum plug made from ultra soft welding rod before re-profiling the tip to match the profile.

Yeah, I know... way too much effort for the cost savings. But the enjoyment of making something outta nothing is big fun lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#20]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By beansnicewater:
I've spent considerable time researching and pondering custom turned bullets. I have a self converted cnc lathe driven with ballscrews that can hold the tolerances required and devised a method for a bar feed using the carriage and pneumatic collet, but the cost/bullet is the main deterrent.

Another major problem is the "relief grooves" or whatever they're called that allows the material removed by the rifling to collect and prevent excess pressure. From what I gather, without those the copper can be removed from the front and be progressively friction welded to the rear, increasing the diameter of the bullet. On the flip side, too much relief area will result in an unstable round with too low of pressure.
View Quote
If you have the machine you may as well give it a try, the expensive part is done.
Originally Posted By Dano523:

So give you an A for pretty bullets, and will make up some nice showcase rounds, but in regards to performance over all, going to fail on that one, and just punch spear holes straight through someone instead.

View Quote
If these are consistent in velocity and impact, accurate in other words, then we'll consider this a success.

As for the dimensions, that's not really an issue.  How deep does the HP need to go?  Like mentioned above, I think he has some .357 intentions.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Pretty neat stuff.  Sure wish I had access to a similar setup (and the knowledge to use it).  I can design stuff pretty well…but machining the ideas into reality, well that isn’t one of my major skills.  

Maybe someday.  Meanwhile- you should definitely look at some of the other designs out there like Lehigh.  If you are going to experiment, might as well have lots of fun!
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By beansnicewater:

My interest has since turned to using already common, cheap factory bullets that can be modified with cnc. My first trials will be for a cost effective substitute for the popular 300 blkout "subx" bullets since I regularly load and shoot suppressed. The plan is to spin factory fmj or something like Berry's 220 plated in a collet, bore a hollow point into the nose and laser cut expansion lines. Next inserting an aluminum plug made from ultra soft welding rod before re-profiling the tip to match the profile.

Yeah, I know... way too much effort for the cost savings. But the enjoyment of making something outta nothing is big fun lol
View Quote

Please start a thread with pics when you undertake that effort. Sounds very interesting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#24]
My understanding is relief grooves are of a lesser diameter of the body, and drive bands are of a larger, external diameter.  In order to create drive bands, the stock you're machining from would be of a greater diameter of the projectile.  The objective of drive bands is they engage the rifling, not  the projectile's body.

Around 10 years ago there was local company that produced premium copper hunting bullets turned on a screw machine.  The parent company was in South Africa.  The owner's daughter was running the US operation.  They were bought out by Chey Tac, then I hadn't heard much about them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
My understanding is relief grooves are of a lesser diameter of the body, and drive bands are of a larger, external diameter.  In order to create drive bands, the stock you're machining from would be of a greater diameter of the projectile.  The objective of drive bands is they engage the rifling, not  the projectile's body.

View Quote
Did some more research and you are correct, these are relief grooves.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Take a look at the THV 9mm rounds for some insparation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top