Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2022 8:41:05 PM EDT
It's been a while since I opened one of my safes and I'm failing hard.  It's a ProVault by Liberty (The Cabelas series).  I think I am using the correct combo numbers but messing up the sequence.  But after an hour of no success now I'm second guessing one of the numbers.  I believe it's a 3-digit combo and I am 100% sure about two numbers and 90% on the third.  

Can anyone confirm the sequence?  I think it was L4-R3-L2-Last?

Help
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Guessing your sequence, R1
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I meant R1 to last #.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, I used the preprogrammed combo that the safe came with.  Any chance If I contact the manufacturer, they can tell me original combo by serial number?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Worth a try.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
How long have you had the safe?

Numbers can drift from hard use and "slamming" the dial from one number to the next while changing directions.

This can happen more often with cheap units. Try your numbers plus one or minus one and see if that works.

If this solves the problem you can reset the numbers back in alignment. It is really not that hard and no doubt there will be a YouTube how to video

I have a Browning safe with a top end Sargent & Greenleaf dial that is almost ball bearing smooth.

I have an economy safe with a low end Sargent & Greenleaf dial that is loose feeling and rough.

There are different grades of dials even with the top brands.

Another tip... I tip the safe over on its side and use a sharpie and write the combination on the bottom.

Who would look there for the combo?

ETA... all my safes have the serial number on the inside.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, that makes sense.  It's only a couple years old but is lower end.  I'm going to take a day off of trying and then start back because the more I try the more I question if I am on the right track.  I don't need anything in there at the moment, so nothing lost.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Cheap safe and the "last" sounds like it could be a straight tail-piece lock. These can be opened in both directions, but with different numbers. If you opened the safe with R-L-R-L in the past the numbers don't work with L-R-L-R. So you might try the other direction. There are on YT videos about opening safe locks, e.g. from Sargent & Greenleaf about opening their 6730. These videos can help you to check if your kind of counting the turns is correct.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]
You didn't save the "how to open your safe" paper?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't this usually inside the safe?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top