Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2024 8:15:40 PM EDT
I’m currently working my way through a 2-1/2 gallon bucket of SP 45acp brass.  I’ll admit that it loads really nice, plus not having to switch primer feeds is a bonus.  Haven’t shot any of it yet but it’s just 200gr coated SWC’s with HP-38.

I still have WAY more LP 45acp brass and I’m not ditching it any time soon.  I do hate sorting the cases after tumbling though,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate that brass with a passion
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#2]
I built a system to automate sorting big and small primer brass.  Got about 10 gallons of small primer 45 brass.  TBH, i'll probably never use it.  I save my small primers for 9mm.

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate people like you. Give em a pocket knife and a Q-tip and they'll build you a shopping mall. Wicked.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep my SP brass, but I haven't loaded it.  I have far more LP than SP so am fine filling the big hole for now.  Maybe one day....
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mustb123:
It gets worse. I ran across about 75 pieces of SPP 44 magnum today……
View Quote

THAT makes me feel dirty…..
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:33:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#7]
Would rather have SPP .45 brass instead of berdan primed. Years ago probably made a few people mad when shooting from a case of brass Spanish ACP at the range.

That said, still good for reloading where picking up the brass may not be convenient.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If US makers could manage to standardize around one primer size across most handgun calibers, I'd be for that. As with calibers where berdan and boxer brass are both found, it's the surprise variation that's annoying.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I’m a big fan of SPP .45

Anyone who doesn’t want it…send it my way
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I sort mine and save it in a separate coffee can.

I wonder if .45 SP would be a good candidate

for use as .45 Super since it has a little more

brass at the head of the case?
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#11]
I hate SPP 45, but only because LPP 45 exists too.  

Edited.  Not General Discussion.  AeroE

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stgdz:
I hate that brass with a passion
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 4 5 gallon buckets full of once fired Winchester brass.  When I find SPP I throw it in a Coffee can.  When I get a 1000 I will reload them or just sell or trade them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Doing everything on a single stage has its perks. Sorting isn't even an extra step.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CRNUMBER:
I sort mine and save it in a separate coffee can.

I wonder if .45 SP would be a good candidate

for use as .45 Super since it has a little more

brass at the head of the case?
View Quote

Yep. I've loaded it to Super levels. There's a big thread at GT about it.  The case web itself is thicker than on lpp brass
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By molar:

Yep. I've loaded it to Super levels. There's a big thread at GT about it.  The case web itself is thicker than on lpp brass
View Quote

Thank you, that's good to know!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer SPP 45 brass. So you won't hear any argument from me. However, I wish there weren't SPP and LPP brass. It makes sorting them a pita.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Wow. That's a first for me. I had no idea that existed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:07:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mustb123] [#19]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Most of the newer Blazer and Winchester .45 is SPP.  Before I got rid of my Charles Daly 1911, I loaded plenty of SPP brass.  No change in performance, and I had plenty of SPP when everything went south in 2020.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#21]

I’ll take a pic when I get home tonight. I had to do a double take….

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126943/D2935DCC-C03C-49C5-8362-2271F3E0F35D-3144383.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

I’ll take a pic when I get home tonight. I had to do a double take….

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126943/D2935DCC-C03C-49C5-8362-2271F3E0F35D-3144383.jpg

Could you run a small rifle primer in that? Considering availability of any large primers, these spp cases can be very handy
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]
spp 45 is what I used for lost brass pistol competitions
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I would prefer everything with spp across the board.

When I go shoot, I either take spp 45aarp or Lpp 45aarp. One of the other.

I just got in 500 45super cases from Starline so I won't be needing or trying to build super with spp 45aarp brass.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I actually like .45 brass being available in both large and small primers. It gives me more flexibility in what components I can use to load it. I do find that I have to load small primer brass with about 0.1 to 0.3 gr more powder to get the same velocities as large primer brass though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Can’t say I’m a fan, but it beats someone leaving GAP all over the range.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#27]
https://www.starlinebrass.com/articles/small-pistol-primers-vs-large-pistol-primers/

Starline velocity test. Large vs small primers in 45acp.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I think originally the SPP 45 ACP brass was meant for lead free ammo, because the lead free primers only came in small size.

I read the link to the Starline site about the one guys experience with spp vs lpp.

In today's world conventional wisdom has that small rifle primer can reliably ignite up to 45 gr of powder.  And, the Lapua 308 Palma brass would be a reliable indicator of success with that notion.  So my pea sized brain sure thinks that with handgun ammo spp in 45 or 10mm is not a problem.  Look how the 454 Casull used LR rifle primers in it's inception was that because of the triplex loading they conjured up.  Then they went to small rifle primers.  And, there are those who shoot hot rod 9MM Major and 38 Super Comp etc using small rifle primers.

Now there is some 10MM brass out there with small primer pockets.  

I personally have just been saving the SPP 45 ACP for use down the road.  But, I know people that do not like swapping primer systems on their dillon presses who love small primer pocket 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bigdb1:
Can’t say I’m a fan, but it beats someone leaving GAP all over the range.
View Quote

How.about 9mm mak ammo, in brass no less.  Yeah that sucked when those snuck through the reloading process.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:34:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Hking:
spp 45 is what I used for lost brass pistol competitions
View Quote

This. I use it for times it will get lost in the grass or bushes shooting out in the countryside.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
I think originally the SPP 45 ACP brass was meant for lead free ammo, because the lead free primers only came in small size.

I read the link to the Starline site about the one guys experience with spp vs lpp.

In today's world conventional wisdom has that small rifle primer can reliably ignite up to 45 gr of powder.  And, the Lapua 308 Palma brass would be a reliable indicator of success with that notion.  So my pea sized brain sure thinks that with handgun ammo spp in 45 or 10mm is not a problem.  Look how the 454 Casull used LR rifle primers in it's inception was that because of the triplex loading they conjured up.  Then they went to small rifle primers.  And, there are those who shoot hot rod 9MM Major and 38 Super Comp etc using small rifle primers.

Now there is some 10MM brass out there with small primer pockets.  

I personally have just been saving the SPP 45 ACP for use down the road.  But, I know people that do not like swapping primer systems on their dillon presses who love small primer pocket 45 ACP.
View Quote

Yeah Winchester’s lead free Winclean line used the SPP brass, it was the first place I ever saw it.  The cheaper bulk ammo lines have since moved to it as well, so I assume using a SPP is cheaper than using a large sized one.  

And it also means a lot of the brass I have stored up, while not a lot of it is.45ACP, what is will have a lot of that Winclean small primer stuff.

I just hate sorting it out.  What a pain… loads and shoots fine though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:

Could you run a small rifle primer in that? Considering availability of any large primers, these spp cases can be very handy
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
It gets worse. I ran across about 75 pieces of SPP 44 magnum today  

I'll take a pic when I get home tonight. I had to do a double take .

454 Casull uses SR

I have also used SR in my suppressed 9mm loads.  I can download a couple tenths for the same velocity.  Less powder, less gas, less blow back....in theory.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I keep a box with sorted 45 acp small primer brass in it.    I remember a few years back I got a great deal on some CCI ammo.   I didn't notice they were the small primer variation...   I will just keep them and use them in the future if needed.    I just have to look at every piece  of brass when loading.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Yeah Winchester’s lead free Winclean line used the SPP brass, it was the first place I ever saw it.  The cheaper bulk ammo lines have since moved to it as well, so I assume using a SPP is cheaper than using a large sized one.  

And it also means a lot of the brass I have stored up, while not a lot of it is.45ACP, what is will have a lot of that Winclean small primer stuff.

View Quote

Hold on now, the stuff marked NT even though it has a spp, has a way large flashhole.
Don't know how that will be with regular reloads.
Probably just flatten the primer more.
Worth noting however.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By meistermash:

Hold on now, the stuff marked NT even though it has a spp, has a way large flashhole.
Worth noting however.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By meistermash:
Originally Posted By tac556:

Worth noting however.

It is totally fine.  I never even noticed a large flash hole actually.  Will have to check it out next time I do some .45 loading.  Yeah they have NT for Non Toxic on the headstamp.  Most of mine is .40, less is 9mm and .45, but hey it was free…

One of Winchester’s selling points for the Winclean ammo line was how clean the fired casings would be, so you could reload them with less effort to clean them.  And they really were very clean when fired compared to their similar line of regular practice pistol ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a SDB I bought in 1993 . Then another in 1996. I left one set up as 45acp and the other 38 special. I dont beleive I have loaded anything but 148gr HBWC on the second one.

I switched the 45acp over to 44mag 45 colt 44-40 and 41 mag. I bought the second one because I didnt like swapping the primer  out to small.

I took all my reloading stuff to the house down south. I kept the 45 acp here as I started shooting 45 on a regular basis agian.

I wouldnt mind a bunch of small primer brass. I only have 6 though all brass Blazer. I havnt picked up range brass in years except here and there, as I have so much 1993-2012 or so.

I could buy 185 gr Winchester Match for 6.50 to 7.50 a box 230gr hb for 6.00 and 148gr HBWC for 4-5.00 a box at Olins range. I reloaded because you could cut a 1/3 to 1/2 off of that.

I have the change over to SPP for the first press somewhere.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Small rifle primers and small pistol primers are the same external dimensions so yes you can install a small rifle primer in any small pistol primer application and there is no noticeable difference in performance.  Some weak revolver hammer springs might have an issue but in any semi or smg they'll function just fine.

Not recommended using small pistol primers in a rifle application as some small pistol primer cups are thinner than others.

I bought small rifle primers exclusively for many years and used them in every small pistol application just so I didn't have to keep track of two different primers.
They were always priced the same so I just went with the more useful of the two.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#38]
On my bench sp 45 all becomes 400 cor-bon. Makes it easy to sort in the future.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#39]
45 Super my small primer 45 cases

Enforcer + small primer + 260 grain hollow point = 1050 fps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By fast_fairlane:
45 Super my small primer 45 cases

Enforcer + small primer + 260 grain hollow point = 1050 fps.
View Quote

Magnum primer or standard? Cast or jacketed bullet? I'm interested in this data as I have a ton of SPP .45 along with a
hungry  .45 AR and revolver.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:39:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I went and ordered actual 45 super brass from Starline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top