Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2018 11:47:43 PM EDT
I do, i kinda just want a super slow kinda relax and zone out in the woods kinda gun, you know just keep it simple. So looking around i see Cricket is making a chassis rifle that takes AR grip and butt stocks. Looks kinda cool. Are Crickets decent rifles or are there other options i should consider? I want something that can mount optics, but would like irons as well. Also i dont want to spend much more than $300.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I would look for an old Winchester or Remington myself. If you are interested in a new production rifle, I would go with the CZ or at least the savage chipmunk or even the rascal over the cricket.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Mark Kitterman    Summitgunbroker.com
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I do, i kinda just want a super slow kinda relax and zone out in the woods kinda gun, you know just keep it simple. So looking around i see Cricket is making a chassis rifle that takes AR grip and butt stocks. Looks kinda cool. Are Crickets decent rifles or are there other options i should consider? I want something that can mount optics, but would like irons as well. Also i dont want to spend much more than $300.
View Quote
Are you looking for a smaller youth model or a full size rifle? For a used rifle, the older Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, or Savage single shot rifles are nice.

For new (and in your price range) look at the Savage Rascal (youth Model) or the Savage Mk I (full size).
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Contender is an option as well
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking for a full size rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the KSA (Cricket) 722 PT. It takes a seven round magazine, so it isn't a single shot.

I just bought it last week and only have 170 rounds through it right now. I really want to like this rifle, but for now I'd say get something else. I am hoping this will break in and be a decent rifle. The accuracy potential is there, but the reliability so far is not.

I think this is the one you are referring to (don't laugh at the insanely high optic. It's the only mount i have on hand at the moment).

Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Plenty of old classics like the Winchester 67 kicking around for around 150 bucks or less. I may be biased but think the old classics are the way to go
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contender is an option as well
View Quote
Yeah - A few options. Might have to look around to find one for $300 though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at old Marlins as well.  All the old rifles have character, and surprising accuracy. Just not all the fancy whiz bang bolt on goodies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have my grandpa's Remington 514 single shot that he bought in the 50's.  I dig out of the safe whenever one of my kids or nieces or nephews want to shoot for the first time.  With CCI Standard, it shoots like a laser.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#12]
After seeing the quality of my daughters kricket look elsewhere.

Have you looked at the ruger precision rimfire?  Ruger sells 1rd 10/22 magazines that should work with it.

If you are set on a single shot, try to find a good used Anschutz. I’ve had repeaters in 54 and 64 actions. For a single shot I would get the 54. I liked the 64 better for hunting though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I've always wanted a J. Stevens "Favorite" takedown.

Stevens Favorite Model 1915 overview
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are Crickets decent rifles or are there other options i should consider?
View Quote
The triggers on them are horrible.  A Savage Rascal has a MUCH better trigger.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Mossberg made a lot of single shot .22s, they also made barrels that shot straight. Marlin, Winchester, Remington, Stevens, and all the major players made SS .22s.

The used market will always be your best bet for a man-sized .22 single shot but you will have to put in the work to find them as they should be purchased with gun in hand so you can inspect the bore.

IMHO one of the best optic ready sporter lot was the Remington 580 single shot.....Very accurate.

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I would look for an old Winchester or Remington myself. If you are interested in a new production rifle, I would go with the CZ or at least the savage chipmunk or even the rascal over the cricket.
View Quote
old Win 69A or 67A, I don't remember which is a single shot.  Side mounts for the scope.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah - A few options. Might have to look around to find one for $300 though.
https://i.imgur.com/X5ixIrv.jpg
View Quote
You SBR'd and suppressed a contender, I like your style. What caliber and how quiet is it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Last Sunday my skeet shooting buddies wanted to shoot .22 pistols after we got done with shotguns. I hauled out an assortment of nice pistols but I also brought two single shot .22 rifles: an old Ithaca lever action (but still single shot) Model 49 and an old H&R Model 365 "Reg'lar" training rifle. Everyone loved the Ithaca but they really loved the H&R with it's beefy barrel and original peep sight. Definitely was the hit of the session.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You SBR'd and suppressed a contender, I like your style. What caliber and how quiet is it?
View Quote
Caliber is "lots of them".  I registered it long enough ago that they were still letting people list multiple calibers on the form 1. I think over got listed ".223, .30, .357, .44, .45" or something to that effect.

I think I've got a dozen or so barrels. Most subsonics are just silly quiet.

The SBR in the picture above has a 10" .300 Whisper barrel. Shooting .38 Special is especially quiet too. Except when I shoot wadcutters at the 100-yd range. They make a funny whizzing sound as they fly.

I currently only have one .22LR barrel. I had it cut back to 4" and inletted the forend to fit the stainless can. Great for discretely popping critters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top