Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2020 5:45:25 PM EDT
What am I in for?   I’m assuming since it’s so füçking old that it ships to my house???  Damn that Ian McCollum.  Now I have a gun to go with the book.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, all the Chassepots are pre-1899, so as a legal antique, it ships straight to your house.

My FIL made a bayonet lug for one for his oldest granddaughter's rifle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Has it been converted to take brass cartridges like the Gras?

Easier to make ammo for it if so.    

But regardless a good score

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Not even attempting to shoot this thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking a Berthier is a half decent action now that I know what the hell it is.  If I find one cheap, not opposed to picking one up - but am not going to start a French rifle collection.  The last MAS I came across, I promptly restocked and sent it away to my uncle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
I'm thinking a Berthier is a half decent action now that I know what the hell it is.  If I find one cheap, not opposed to picking one up - but am  going to start a French rifle collection.  The last MAS I came across, I promptly restocked and sent it away to my uncle.
View Quote

We had a next door neighbor who had a large classic hip roofed barn. That nondescript barn was hiding a secret up in the upstairs loft. Along the hip part of the roof there were French rifles lining the length of the barn. They were hung horizontally, at least 4 to a slot. The most comprehensive French collection I've ever seen. When Byron decide to get out of the collecting hobby, two guys came over from France and bought the collection, lock stock, and barrel !
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RickH11:

We had a next door neighbor who had a large classic hip roofed barn. That nondescript barn was hiding a secret up in the upstairs loft. Along the hip part of the roof there were French rifles lining the length of the barn. They were hung horizontally, at least 4 to a slot. The most comprehensive French collection I've ever seen. When Byron decide to get out of the collecting hobby, two guys came over from France and bought the collection, lock stock, and barrel !
View Quote

Wow that’s crazy
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
Not even attempting to shoot this thing.
View Quote

why not?   With proper black powder catridges there should not be any danger in shooting it if it is mechanically reliable.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I’ll probly head to Walmart and ask the ammo counter guy for some federal HST’s for my Chassepot.  

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Not even attempting to shoot this thing.
View Quote

I hope you change your mind.

And post a range report.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got a notice from UPS that my Inter Ordanance package should be arriving tomorrow.   I’ve never ordered from IO before.   Took about 7-8 days to process it. Hopefully it’s in decent shape for a 140 year old rifle from France, Ethiopia and who knows where else.  Also I hope it doesn’t have goat hoof prints on it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Now we wait for pics
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Sorry about the orientation of some of these pics.   It’s arfcoms stoopid fault.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

I’m really pleased with the shape it’s in considering it’s a 140+ year old rifle that was in Ethiopia for probably most of its life.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow that looks pretty dang good, congrats on getting a nice example.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Condition wise, that really isn't bad at all considering how these were store over there. Do you plan on shooting it? How is the bore?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good. How many coats of BLO did it soak up?
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow, are these things still usable?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:44:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Any advise on cleaning it up and not destroying it?  I’d like to wipe the grease and grime off of it at least.  Maybe run a barrel brush and a patch down the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]
1) Ballistol.
2) Clean the bore and coat it with thin film of ballistol or CLP.
3) No steel wool or steel; bronze wool only if needed.
4) The only thing that should shine is the bore
5) Remove active rust, but again, not to the point of shine
6) Wipe stock off and clean off dirt and grime. Rub BLO on stock and let it soak it up, keep doing that until you are satisfied. My M1 carbine took four coats. I’m sure yours will take more.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry I’m an ediot but whut is BLO?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Boiled Linseed Oil

Most of these Cruffeler's don't realize some of us don't come out of the womb knowing what BLO means!

Took me forever to figure it out when one poster over on the Parallax Bill forums finally spelled it out!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BigHunt:
Boiled Linseed Oil

Most of these Cruffeler's don't realize some of us don't come out of the womb knowing what BLO means!

Took me forever to figure it out when one poster over on the Parallax Bill forums finally spelled it out!
View Quote

Cool.  Thanks.  Can I get that from Brownells?
Edit:   I see it’s on amazon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Upon further review of your photos I believe you have a M 80 version of the Mle 1874 Gras rifle chambered in 11mm Gras and not a Chassepot rifle at all.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Sorry I’m an ediot but whut is BLO?
View Quote

Boiled linseed oil.
Sorry about that, I thought it was discussed earlier in the thread.

Don’t put it on to thick or it gets gummy. Thin coats, let it soak in and then reapply until the wood no longer sucks it up. Then wipe off and you are good to go. Will protect and condition the wood without ruining the finish.

You will probably have to reapply every 5-6 months to keep the luster of the wood, but it’s not a must.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Upon further review of your photos I believe you have a M 80 version of the Mle 1874 Gras rifle chambered in 11mm Gras and not a Chassepot rifle at all.
View Quote

I’ll have to reference my French rifle book from Ian McCollum to confirm that. I was thinking I got a carabine de gendarmerie since it’s short with 2 brass barrel bands and a bayonet lug on the right side of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Upon further review of your photos I believe you have a M 80 version of the Mle 1874 Gras rifle chambered in 11mm Gras and not a Chassepot rifle at all.
View Quote

I do believe you are correct, that is not a Chassepot at all but a Gras. A Chassepot should be marked Mle 1866.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes that is a GRAS M.80 Carbine Conversion not a Chassepot. Actually rarer than a standard GRAS 1874 Rifle.

Does the Bolt Match ? I'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Tung oil > BLO

I'm really surprised at the condition of that. Looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I must resist, and it is really tough. I have enough old junk sitting in the safe and on my wall.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Cool.  Thanks.  Can I get that from Brownells?
Edit:   I see it’s on amazon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Boiled Linseed Oil

Most of these Cruffeler's don't realize some of us don't come out of the womb knowing what BLO means!

Took me forever to figure it out when one poster over on the Parallax Bill forums finally spelled it out!

Cool.  Thanks.  Can I get that from Brownells?
Edit:   I see it’s on amazon.

Local hardware, Home Depot, Lowes has it. Be sure it says "Boiled". NO open flame.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#31]
If it's a Gras, OP, you have to shoot it, if only for ARFCOM's entertainment value at your decades long search for a supply of ammo.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, any luck on finding ammo?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top