Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2021 2:16:57 PM EDT
On Saturday I popped into a couple of my local pawn shops to see what new things they have in stock. Most of the time it’s stuff that I’m not super interested in for more money than it’s worth.   But every so often I find something interesting.

I will freely admit I was not super knowledgeable about all the different variants of 1895’s. G vs GBL  vs. SBL.

So when I saw this one in the wall I thought it was for one of the more upgraded varieties.  Turns out it’s an 1895g, that someone had refinished, extended mag tube installed, enlarged loop installed, and the XS rail and aperture sights installed.  It passed all function checks, and seems like it’s in good shape.  The receiver and mag tube are almost a burnt bronze, and the barrel is actually a very dark brownish/grey (kind of hard to see in the pic)

My understanding though is that this is a Remlin one though which I understand had some QC issues in the earlier varieties. Any way to date the S/N to determine earlier vs. later production?  I’m hoping it’s not having issues because I can’t imagine someone would sink that much cash into a gun that’s a turd.  Although I did get it for a price lower than any other I’ve seen in some time.

Only way I’ll know for sure is shooting it.  Which leads me to the next question... anyone got a lead on .45-70.? I bought this on an absolute lark, and  have absolutely none on hand since I wasn’t planning on owning one until this dropped in my lap.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a recent remington made gun?  Is it marked G or SBL/GBL?  You can check the SN or barrel stamps to get a rough idea of when it was made, just google it.
They put out some unusual variations as they were liquidating, presumably to get cash prior to the bankruptcy.  

It's interesting that the barrel doesn't match the receiver - that would be difficult to do and you could likely see the masking line between the barrel and receiver if you looked closely.
They put out some ceracoated SBL guns, perhaps this was one of those and had a warranty issue where they replaced the gun and later put a new barrel on it to sell during the "raise cash" phase?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]

That's a beauty, and the extra work and parts definitely don't hurt.  I'm jealous.

What'd it set you back?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks painful to me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks like a loop lever for a different type of stock.

Still, nice find.   Interesting, I got mine at a pawn shop too, when they first came out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
No ammo, that bites.   I load for mine so no help but some will turn up.   Pre covid the cheapest factory loads were about 25/box.  

That caliber is one of the easiest rifle rounds to reload btw.   Just keep any hornady flex tip brass separate for just flex tip bullets as the brass is about .10” shorter.  
The gun can take much hotter than standard factory pressure ammo too.  The shooter may not like it tho.  Mine is punishing with heavy elk loads.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it a recent remington made gun?  Is it marked G or SBL/GBL?  You can check the SN or barrel stamps to get a rough idea of when it was made, just google it.
They put out some unusual variations as they were liquidating, presumably to get cash prior to the bankruptcy.  

It's interesting that the barrel doesn't match the receiver - that would be difficult to do and you could likely see the masking line between the barrel and receiver if you looked closely.
They put out some ceracoated SBL guns, perhaps this was one of those and had a warranty issue where they replaced the gun and later put a new barrel on it to sell during the "raise cash" phase?
View Quote

Its a G.  Serial number starts with MR plus the manufacture location is Ilion, NY. so its one made under Remington ownership (post 2011).  Whoever ceracoated this thing did a damn good job.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That looks like a loop lever for a different type of stock.

Still, nice find.   Interesting, I got mine at a pawn shop too, when they first came out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/22F7E43D-EE38-4F74-B0A6-B8D8C3FE9CC9_jpe-1857365.JPG
View Quote

best i can tell it is.  Its designed to go on one of the pistol grip stocks like the GBL or SBL, not the straight stock of the G.  I'm casually researching finding a pistol grip stock to replace this one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's a beauty, and the extra work and parts definitely don't hurt.  I'm jealous.

What'd it set you back?
View Quote

talked 'em down to $650 out the door.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]
You did really well then.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Great price.  Do you reload?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Great price.  Do you reload?
View Quote

Not yet, I had been doing a lot of research and getting ready to buy prior to Covid, then it hit, and primers fucking dried up. So that kinda out the kibosh on that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

best i can tell it is.  Its designed to go on one of the pistol grip stocks like the GBL or SBL, not the straight stock of the G.  I'm casually researching finding a pistol grip stock to replace this one.
View Quote

Stick with a loop lever.  Mine is a PIA and too small.  It will rap your fingers in the small loop pretty good.    Mine has been shot a lot, probably 400 rounds.   After my first range trip and bleeding on that damn lever I dremeled off the sharp edges inside the lever.
I really need to get a medium size loop.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#13]
That caliber absolutely flattens big elk out too.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
OP lives where Garrett Cartridges are made ...these are the only cartridges I used when in "dangerous game" areas (bears)

they are $4 and up per round, but they are perfect

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570.html
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not yet, I had been doing a lot of research and getting ready to buy prior to Covid, then it hit, and primers fucking dried up. So that kinda out the kibosh on that.
View Quote

If you buy some brass and have it shipped to me I'll prime it and mail it to you for shipping cost plus $5/100.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you buy some brass and have it shipped to me I'll prime it and mail it to you for shipping cost plus $5/100.
View Quote

that is a generous offer.  I will let you know if i score some.  I"m also on the hunt for the other bits (press, dies, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely a bit of a mashup but I’d it works that’sa decent price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]
If you convert to a pistol grip you'll need the bottom metal also. I converted mine last summer and found a guy on Marlin Owners that did a straight up swap.  If you stick with the straight stock check out the levers from RPP, they are a medium sized loop and are the perfect size IMO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you convert to a pistol grip you'll need the bottom metal also. I converted mine last summer and found a guy on Marlin Owners that did a straight up swap.  If you stick with the straight stock check out the levers from RPP, they are a medium sized loop and are the perfect size IMO.
View Quote
Wouldn't the receiver tangs be different between the stock varieties?  Or is that only a concern on other lever mechanisms?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Hope your Remlin is better than mine. Canted front sight, razor sharp edges and lever jams often.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wouldn't the receiver tangs be different between the stock varieties?  Or is that only a concern on other lever mechanisms?
View Quote

The top tang is the same on all the guns. The bottom one that holds the trigger and lever is different between pistol and straight grip.  I've seen pictures of lower tangs that guys heated up and put a curve in to use a pistol grip stock but my metal working skills aren't that good and the lower tangs for the  1895/336/444(they are the same)are easy to find.

Only other thing you need to look for is the lever on the 1895 has a larger relief cut  to give more room for the larger casings. The 336 and 444 do not have this but you can open them up if you want. I do believe all the Remington made marlins have the larger cut no matter the caliber. Also, your aftermarket levers like the RPP all have the larger cut so they work with all calibers.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hope your Remlin is better than mine. Canted front sight, razor sharp edges and lever jams often.

View Quote

My Remlin SBL is outstanding. Oddly enough, Remlins are now selling for more than JM models. I've been tempted to take the $2500+ some are paying but then I won't have it and it's probably my favorite rifle now.

Sick looking rifle and for $600 you practically stole it. Enjoy. I'd share some ammo for a chance to shoot it but I'm in Colorado.

Eta, check steinel ammo. Place an order and wait.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No ammo, that bites.   I load for mine so no help but some will turn up.   Pre covid the cheapest factory loads were about 25/box.  

That caliber is one of the easiest rifle rounds to reload btw.   Just keep any hornady flex tip brass separate for just flex tip bullets as the brass is about .10” shorter.  
The gun can take much hotter than standard factory pressure ammo too.  The shooter may not like it tho.  Mine is punishing with heavy elk loads.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/A6F9AF93-A7C2-4318-83C0-E4C5EE095494_jpe-1857371.JPG
View Quote

I sort of wish I'd bought that one. Would be easier to thread the barrel, but I was hung up on the loop leaver and xs sights.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My Remlin SBL is outstanding. Oddly enough, Remlins are now selling for more than JM models. I've been tempted to take the $2500+ some are paying but then I won't have it and it's probably my favorite rifle now.

Sick looking rifle and for $600 you practically stole it. Enjoy. I'd share some ammo for a chance to shoot it but I'm in Colorado.

Eta, check steinel ammo. Place an order and wait.
View Quote

@phdog

Appreciate the heads up on Steinel,  their website says it may take up to 5 months to deliver. Are they actually delivering in that timeframe or is it a never-ending push back of delivery dates.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@phdog

Appreciate the heads up on Steinel,  their website says it may take up to 5 months to deliver. Are they actually delivering in that timeframe or is it a never-ending push back of delivery dates.
View Quote

Not sure. Haven't ordered from them lately. Good ammo though and reasonable price (during normal times at least).
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#26]
As mentioned above not all the remlins are dogs. My SBL is fantastic. I would surmise yours was a decent shooter or all the extra stuff wouldn’t have been worth the trouble. Certainly a unique and cool rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As mentioned above not all the remlins are dogs. My SBL is fantastic. I would surmise yours was a decent shooter or all the extra stuff wouldn't have been worth the trouble. Certainly a unique and cool rifle.
View Quote
I love my CSBL.  That being said, sometimes the add ons are trying to rectify deficiencies within an specific example of an otherwise good design.

I know I can't be the only person who has thrown good money after bad trying to "fix" a gun with horrible tolerance stacking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#28]
well i took it to the range yesterday and ran a box of Hornady 325grn LeverRevolustion ammo through it.  

Functioned great, action seemed smooth, fed well.  

I'm happy with it overall.

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not sure. Haven't ordered from them lately. Good ammo though and reasonable price (during normal times at least).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@phdog

Myself and friend decided to split a case of Steinel ammo last September still have not received it. Over the last three years I have ordered at least 4 cases of 45 70 from them never waited longer than 2 weeks. I like there ammo its great on hogs and deer.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Reload for it.

If you make mild loads and anneal your brass, it will last forever.

I made some black powder loads I’m going to try out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top