Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2021 11:38:22 PM EDT
I bought a Himalayan Imports kukri (Trusuli Gau, i think the model is called). which just showed up. Pretty sweet.

So my question:

1) How best to sharpen it?

2) What do I do with the little... thing that's the same size as the karda but unsharpened? Is that a sharpening steel on its own,  or for something else?

3) Do these have any usage or handling quirks that I should know?

(It was either that or Junglas II. l never owned a kukri before and I have a bunch of ESEE stuff already)
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The pics don't seem to be loading...

I've heard not to wrap your fingers around the sheath when drawing it, but that's about it.  I've tried to maintain the edge on mine with the stones from my lansky kit. I'm not master sharpener though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the sheath carefully.  With many it is possible over time to cut it open.  So... when drawing it out never put your fingers over the 'edge' of the sheath on the side where the blade edge is and don't press the edge of the blade against the sheath when drawing it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pics don't seem to be loading...

I've heard not to wrap your fingers around the sheath when drawing it, but that's about it.  I've tried to maintain the edge on mine with the stones from my lansky kit. I'm not master sharpener though.
View Quote

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a Himalayan Imports kukri (Trusuli Gau, i think the model is called). which just showed up. Pretty sweet.

So my question:

1) How best to sharpen it?

2) What do I do with the little... thing that's the same size as the karda but unsharpened? Is that a sharpening steel on its own,  or for something else?

3) Do these have any usage or handling quirks that I should know?

(It was either that or Junglas II. l never owned a kukri before and I have a bunch of ESEE stuff already)
View Quote

I have several, Himalayan Imports are some of my favorites...good choice.

1) Sharpening is done best with a ceramic rod sharpener for the recurve, and a narrow leather strop is a good finisher.  

2) The unsharpened accessory, is the "Chakmak", with the purpose of using not so much as a sharpener, but working out any dings or rolls in your blade from hard use.  Think of it as using a steel to straighten the edge.  Mine rarely get used for that, but if you grind a sharp flat edge on it, it makes a great fire-steel striker

3) Handing quirks mentioned with the sheath.  Just practice grabbing the back of the sheath and keep your fingers from wrapping the front.  If you plan to use it a lot in the field, I would consider getting a custom Kydex sheath made for it.  

Keep it razor sharp.  It's much like an axe in how it chops with forward weight, so take care in how and where you stand in relation to your chopping; basic axe safety applies.  All traditional khukuries are higher carbon steel (1065) and depending on the polish level, they will all rust if not cared for.  I usually use a silicon-treated gun cloth for wiping down before storing.  Other than than, no different than any other high-carbon steel blade.  

I worked with a British-led Gurkha unit decades ago when they came to the Yakima Training Center in Eastern WA.  I was pretty amazed with how they handled their khukuris, even for small jobs like splinter removal.  Fast forward almost 30 years, and I got to see a group of Gurkhas do their ceremonial routines with their khukuris...freaking amazing.  

They're a heavy tool, but very versatile.  Congrats and go do some chopping

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two I bought from IMA that were part of the Nepalese cache. As was said, grab the sheath from behind with a U grip. Only one of mine has a sheath and it is constructed with to peices of thin flat wood inside to protect the leather from being cut. I don't bring mine anywhere, they are just for display, but messing around with one a little bit, you can see how they would be a handy field tool and weapon.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Good choice in blades. One poster already talked about ceramic rods to sharpen the curve. I use a whetstone on the front end of the blade. Sometimes I use a Rada and the rods. They make these out of recycled leaf springs which is 5160 spring steel and a excellent steel for blades. Watch some videos on YouTube because they use a lot of manpower to produce a blade compared to a CNC automated process. I like that.

One thing I found out is that it is hard to buy just one. I started buying from Khukuri House Handicraft Industry (KHHI) before I started to follow one of their Kami's (blacksmith) who broke away from KHHI and started his own kukri house, Khotang Khukuri Handicraft (KKH) with another experienced Kami from KHHI. He's been hammering away for a number of years now and is well respected in the Kukri world. I currently have two on order that I am awaiting delivery on.

KKH

The last one I bought, Swiftleaf,  is light and nimble as a fighter kukri. Not as heavy as one of my choppers that I use for field work. It is hard to have just one you might find out and soon start collecting them or maybe that is just me. LOL You can buy cheaper blades stateside but I wanted the real deal so buy from Kathmandu, Nepal. I used to like Panawal (full tang pinned) but now just buy the Parawal (rat tail tang and peened) like yours.

Here's the latest one I bought from KKH:
" />
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
All mine came from the Gurkhas directly. Many years ago I used to sometimes call into the PRI shop when the Gurkhas had a UK base in Church Crookham.
At the time, an issue kukri, stamped Dehra Dun & with a manufacture date on it, would be about £12

The Gurkhas are now based a lot closer, on the same base my step-son attended when he was doing his basic training with the Scots Guards.
Not checked to see if they have a PRI shop attached there - though I recall that several decades ago they were told to stop the sale of Kukris to mere civilians.
Not sure of this ever happened though.

Back in the Church Crookham days, I had one of my two kukris sent to the Units metalworker, to get updated to Parade/No.1 spec.
The blade was chromed, all the fittings buffed and polished, and the leather scabbard replaced with a high gloss synthetic material
Still has a razor sharp blade on it, even under the chrome

My other kukri was on my belt kit for a long time. I slipped the main scabbard from the carrier, then made a thin camouflage cover from a spare bit of the then current issue fabric.
Got a very close fit and it looked very good when on the webbing, though would still attract a few comments.

If anyone wants a good way to support serving Gurkhas and their families, as well as retired Gurkhas, look up the charity, the Gurkha Welfare Trust.
They do some amazing work in Nepal & elsewhere
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
@mojo7 what was the turn around time from when you ordered till you received it?  Would suck to order and have it floating out on a barge waiting for the docks to open.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
@LastRites

It is a couple month turnaround time it seems like. It's a slow boat but in all the orders I've placed from either KHHI or KKH, they've always been delivered by DHL.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Darn you guys.  I just ordered a Service Number 1 kukri from KKH.  Also had a nice email exchange with the rep who is looking into getting a scabbard made for my late 1800's Military kukri.

rob
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I broke down and ordered a custom from Kila Tools.  I opted for a micarta wrapped handle...sounds incredible.  I expect it will be a few months before I see it...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I keep putting a custom from Kailash Blades in the cart.
But don’t really need another kuk despite wanting another... with micarta, kydex and with a few extra inches...
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I broke down and ordered a custom from Kila Tools.  I opted for a micarta wrapped handle...sounds incredible.  I expect it will be a few months before I see it...

ROCK6
View Quote
pics?!
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
pics?!
View Quote

@JLPettimoreIII

Correction, custom by Kailash blades:

Kialash Service Issue

No pic of the handle though....

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

3) Handing quirks mentioned with the sheath.  Just practice grabbing the back of the sheath and keep your fingers from wrapping the front.  If you plan to use it a lot in the field, I would consider getting a custom Kydex sheath made for it.  
View Quote

Who does good work in kydex for that? This doesn't seem like something that will fit a mass-produced sheath, even if there is such a thing for kukris.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@JLPettimoreIII

Correction, custom by Kailash blades:

Kialash Service Issue

No pic of the handle though....

ROCK6
View Quote
i dig it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who does good work in kydex for that? This doesn't seem like something that will fit a mass-produced sheath, even if there is such a thing for kukris.
View Quote

There are a few makers out there, I'll have to dig up my list.  They aren't cheap, but for serious field work, Kydex is the way to go.  Red Hill is one I've used.  If you contact most custom makers they'll work with you.  Another option (at the time of ordering) is most Kukri makers now offer a Kydex sheath as a secondary sheath.  

ROCK6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top