Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2021 3:32:30 AM EDT
And discovered i had a full 8 lbs of PB powder and 1000 bullet box of Montana Gold 124 grain round nose that I had forgotten about.  I'd like to use use 500 rounds to go to a Tom Givens class while I can.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
hope you find a box full of primers while you're looking, because that's the issue right now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember when Montana Gold bullets were cheap....... I recently looked at their prices . I use to run their 9mm and .40 in open race guns until the major jump in prices hit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I cleaned up my bench and equipment 4 months ago.  I got my first 9mm and couldn't find ammo to practice with.

Since then I've started casting lead again, powder coating and pulling the handle on the press.  Thankfully I had bought a lot of powder, primers, cases and scrounged about 800 lbs of lead in the early 2010's so I wasn't looking for any of that.  I just had to get a new mold but that wasn't to hard at the time.

It's good to get back into reloading, I really don't know why I stopped.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And discovered i had a full 8 lbs of PB powder and 1000 bullet box of Montana Gold 124 grain round nose that I had forgotten about.  I'd like to use use 500 rounds to go to a Tom Givens class while I can.
View Quote

PB is amazing powder for low-power pistol. Its fluffy granules do a good job of case filling and it meters well.  When my wife was competing, she'd win using the 158 gr LRN loads I'd make up for her in .38 spl.  

I'm down to my last 1/4 pound of it, since it was discontinued many years ago.  I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PB is amazing powder for low-power pistol. Its fluffy granules do a good job of case filling and it meters well.  When my wife was competing, she'd win using the 158 gr LRN loads I'd make up for her in .38 spl.  

I'm down to my last 1/4 pound of it, since it was discontinued many years ago.  I'm jealous.
View Quote

It was an amazing shotgun powder as well.  All mine is long gone.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was an amazing shotgun powder as well.  All mine is long gone.
View Quote

Not sure what is the go to powders for shotgun these days but most all of the old stand by shotgun powders are very useable for general pistol reloading.

Green dot , red dot ,unique , 700X and so forth. If you can find some old dude that used to reload for trap or skeet odds are he was buying 8 or 12lb kegs of shotgun powder . Shotgun reloading used large amounts of powder (25+ grains at a pop) and most of the guys reloading trap or skeet were in leagues and burned through cases of shells every month .

If you can score a keg or two of one of these old powders you can load piles of pistol cartridges when you are only using 4-8gr per.

This has worked very well for me
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I used WST for years for 12 gauge, but recently sold my MEC 9000G.  I had about 4 pounds left when someone here mentioned it is great for pistol powder.  I stuffed it all in .45ACP cases.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You are not the only one.

I have loaded since the late '90s, but I loaded a lot between '12-'15. Due to work, kids, & camping trips, I have not even shot very much in the last couple years.

I am in the process of rearranging my garage and reloading closet.
Oh man, I have more stuff than I ever remember buying.
About 10 5k cases of various CCI primers, an entire case(32 lbs) of WC846 surplus, and cardboard boxes stuffed with 1 lb bottles of H4895, H335, and many more.  Various stages of prepped brass in multiple pistol/rifle cases. An entire wheeled cart I can barely push with pistol/rifle bullets.

All of this to load on RCBS single stage and Lee progressive presses. Yeah, I know. I never bought into blue or fancy red presses because the Lee worked and I was so invested in turret changes, bullet feeders, etc.

Thank goodness I stocked deep as I just don't know what the future will hold or if this stuff will even be available again any time in the near future.

My plan is to build an area in my workshop that I am converting to my office for a permanent set up with tables and shelving.

I will have to check in more often. It appears that lots have changed in tech and equipment lately and I have catching up to do.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I remember when Montana Gold bullets were cheap....... I recently looked at their prices . I use to run their 9mm and .40 in open race guns until the major jump in prices hit.
View Quote

I shot a few of them when I started shooting competition. They were fairly close in price to the popular coated bullets of the time and I didn’t shoot enough volume to worry about it. After they jumped up I look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
hope you find a box full of primers while you're looking, because that's the issue right now.
View Quote

I did, at least 5K of every type of primer I need.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did, at least 5K of every type of primer I need.
View Quote
You're sitting on gold then!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top