Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2017 12:03:22 PM EDT
I just picked up a new AUG A3 M1 yesterday (black, extended rail) And well, I dont see why people say the trigger sucks, its atleast on par with a milspec AR trigger it feels like, Of course if you're trying to pull it like a match rifle trigger its a little long and heavy, But otherwise it feels fine. Sometimes doing dry fire it would surprise me when it would break sooner than I thought it would, perhaps they've improved these triggers over the older models?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I can shoot 1.3 moa groups with a 25 year old AUG-A1.  I have zero complaints about the trigger
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, it's a little heavy but breaks clean enough.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The trigger on the AUG I recently had the opportunity to fire threw me off. The pull itself wasn't too much of an issue, but the reset was way longer than anything I am used to. As a result I caught myself squeezing when I should have still been releasing a couple of times. If I shot more than 8 rounds through it I doubt it would be an issue. It was a really cool rifle though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The trigger on the AUG I recently had the opportunity to fire threw me off. The pull itself wasn't too much of an issue, but the reset was way longer than anything I am used to. As a result I caught myself squeezing when I should have still been releasing a couple of times. If I shot more than 8 rounds through it I doubt it would be an issue. It was a really cool rifle though.
View Quote
The 2020 TSM was designed to fix the creep, travel, break, and reset.

BY FAR THE BEST ITEM YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR STEYR AUG.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't mind the factory trigger at all.

However, once the 2020 TSM came out, that all changed. It is a substantial improvement to the characteristics of the trigger. Night and Day difference.

I wish I could hand everyone one of my AUG's with the 2020 TSM so they could fire it and feel the difference for themselves, it's incredible.

Let me add that the person who runs 2020 is a very nice guy and recently gave me a couple left over MSAR TSM sears. If you have an MSAR and actively shoot it, I can get you an MSAR sear for free. You're not under any obligation of anything. Only that you actually install it and use it. If you don't like it, send it back to me so I can send it to someone else. If you like it, it's yours. I do not own an MSAR, don't even particularly like MSAR, but if you would like one of these, I have just a couple. @xdmikey I'm talking to you!
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

However, once the 2020 TSM came out, that all changed. It is a substantial improvement to the characteristics of the trigger. Night and Day difference.

I wish I could hand everyone one of my AUG's with the 2020 TSM so they could fire it and feel the difference for themselves, it's incredible.

Let me add that the person who runs 2020 is a very nice guy and recently gave me a couple left over MSAR TSM sears. If you have an MSAR and actively shoot it, I can get you an MSAR sear for free. You're not under any obligation of anything. Only that you actually install it and use it. If you don't like it, send it back to me so I can send it to someone else. If you like it, it's yours. I do not own an MSAR, don't even particularly like MSAR, but if you would like one of these, I have just a couple. @xdmikey I'm talking to you!
View Quote
Click To View Spoiler

Awesome offer!
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have an XM17-E4, and I'd definitely like to try it.  If I can't appreciate a difference, I'll either send it back or forward it to the next person who requests it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The AUG trigger is different, doesn't mean it's bad.  I find I'm able to pull much smoother and flinch/jerk less due to the 'mush' of the trigger.  Slightly lighter with the same characteristic would be perfect.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Tuesday we went out and I was able to nail the steel at 200 with my AUG. This is a new thing for me.

I can't say xx/xx because my rifle had continuous issues feeding. This could be because I shot a mag(20)of tula in order to get an empty mag but it prompted a complete scrub down and we'll see if it was good enough next Tuesday.

Bottom line: my AUG trigger was fine. And the last rifle i shot was a Tavor with a tavD trigger.  I will be packing my AUG for my foreseeable future.

eta
I do have the 20/20 sear in my AUG.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're comparing it to an SKS or an AK trigger, it's ok, but compared to something like a Geissele SSA or the M17S trigger, it kind of sucks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're comparing it to an SKS or an AK trigger, it's ok, but compared to something like a Geissele SSA or the M17S trigger, it kind of sucks.
View Quote
Why would you be comparing a stock mil issue trigger to tuned match triggers? Btw, the spec for issue M4 triggers is 5.5-8.5 lbs
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why would you be comparing a stock mil issue trigger to tuned match triggers? Btw, the spec for issue M4 triggers is 5.5-8.5 lbs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SSA is hardly a tuned match trigger, it's 4.5lbs and designated as a HD/combat trigger.  It's not just the weight, but the travel, reset, engagement, and break.  The newer AUG triggers are about the same as the Tavor triggers, which puts them solidly in the "meh" category.  Kel-Tec seems to have figured out how to make decent bullpup triggers, and I would put them on par with or slightly better than stock AR triggers.   SSAs, MBTs, etc fall in to the "good" trigger category.  That's still a long way from "great" triggers.

The original question was why people think the AUG trigger sucks.  Compared to good triggers, it does suck.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I don’t mind heavy triggers so long as they break cleanly. I’ve handled augs that seem to have horrible creepy triggers and ones that feel about 8lbs but the creep isn’t bad but break cleanly. I don’t own one but I wouldn’t say any of them are terrible terrible and certainly the last one I used I would have classed as average or acceptable. I do own an M17s however and I don’t know why people rave about that trigger maybe it’s just me but i just don’t like it. I did swap out my tavor trigger pack for a shooting sight one years ago but I don’t think the aug triggers I’ve played with were anywhere near as heavy as the tavor I know mine was a little over 11lbs which is just a little too much for my dainty fingers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don’t mind heavy triggers so long as they break cleanly. I’ve handled augs that seem to have horrible creepy triggers and ones that feel about 8lbs but the creep isn’t bad but break cleanly. I don’t own one but I wouldn’t say any of them are terrible terrible and certainly the last one I used I would have classed as average or acceptable. I do own an M17s however and I don’t know why people rave about that trigger maybe it’s just me but i just don’t like it. I did swap out my tavor trigger pack for a shooting sight one years ago but I don’t think the aug triggers I’ve played with were anywhere near as heavy as the tavor I know mine was a little over 11lbs which is just a little too much for my dainty fingers.
View Quote
The K&M M17S, not the original M17S; I'm pretty sure absolutely nobody has ever raved about the Bushmaster M17S' trigger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol that makes a lot more sense then!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an msar and would like a TSM ifvyou have an extra
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The SSA is hardly a tuned match trigger, it's 4.5lbs and designated as a HD/combat trigger.  It's not just the weight, but the travel, reset, engagement, and break.  

The original question was why people think the AUG trigger sucks.  Compared to good triggers, it does suck.
View Quote
Well I think that gets to the heart of the issue - people are comparing them to aftermarket AR triggers. Which is an entirely human, but unfair comparison. One is a $200 aftermarket trigger, the other is a factory military trigger.

The milspec listed by FN gives a range between 5.5 and 9.5lbs:
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-m4a1/

A more fair comparison would be between the AUG trigger and the factory M4, SCAR, Beretta ARX, AK, Tavor, Sig 5xx, CZ 805 etc factory military triggers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well I think that gets to the heart of the issue - people are comparing them to aftermarket AR triggers. Which is an entirely human, but unfair comparison. One is a $200 aftermarket trigger, the other is a factory military trigger.

The milspec listed by FN gives a range between 5.5 and 9.5lbs:
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-m4a1/

A more fair comparison would be between the AUG trigger and the factory M4, SCAR, Beretta ARX, AK, Tavor, Sig 5xx, CZ 805 etc factory military triggers.
View Quote
Exactly and unfortunately in this day and age where people buy an AR for $500 and then drop $1500-$2000 on an aug or tavor they expect a match grade miracle weapon not a military grade shooter which is not a fair comparison at all. I like my g2s  and ssa in my primary carbines but I’d gladly take an 8lb trigger any day on a reliable rifle that shot ok groups.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Exactly and unfortunately in this day and age where people buy an AR for $500 and then drop $1500-$2000 on an aug or tavor they expect a match grade miracle weapon not a military grade shooter which is not a fair comparison at all. I like my g2s  and ssa in my primary carbines but I’d gladly take an 8lb trigger any day on a reliable rifle that shot ok groups.
View Quote
The truth of the matter is, you don't have to make said sacrifice assuming you have a decent AR.  

Concerning the Aug, this will be especially true when Corvus releases their trigger upgrade for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The truth of the matter is, you don't have to make said sacrifice assuming you have a decent AR.  

Concerning the Aug, this will be especially true when Corvus releases their trigger upgrade for it.
View Quote
I agree i'm just saying that a lot of people throw gucci AR triggers into their bargain basement AR's now so it has become an expectation to have a 3lb trigger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Keeping this technical and friendly. My post was in poor taste and has been deleted.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I own x2 A3M1 AUGs.

One has a very decent trigger and I can easily shoot a 2" group at 100 yards.

The other has an atrocious trigger. It's a long, gritty, 3 stage sort of trigger.....just awful. I struggle to shoot repeatable groups with it at 100 yards. Shame, because it is my 20" with the factory 3x, purchased for longer range shooting. Definitely going to get upgraded in the near future. The Geiselle trigger pack sounds amazing but I would be surprised if it costs under $500, will probably just go for the TSM sear for $100.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The 2020 TSM was designed to fix the creep, travel, break, and reset.

BY FAR THE BEST ITEM YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR STEYR AUG.
View Quote

I have one and I’d agree.

And for you cheapskates like I used to be, get the NEU trigger for $38 shipped off gunbroker.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I just went with the 2020 and I'm happy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I own x2 A3M1 AUGs.

One has a very decent trigger and I can easily shoot a 2" group at 100 yards.

The other has an atrocious trigger. It's a long, gritty, 3 stage sort of trigger.....just awful. I struggle to shoot repeatable groups with it at 100 yards. Shame, because it is my 20" with the factory 3x, purchased for longer range shooting. Definitely going to get upgraded in the near future. The Geiselle trigger pack sounds amazing but I would be surprised if it costs under $500, will probably just go for the TSM sear for $100.
View Quote
That explains the mixed bag of comments. Personally my AUG has a heavy but crisp brake and is better than the milspec trigger in my Colt 6520.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Another vote for the Nue trigger
My Aug trigger was similar to the trigger of a Glock pistol
Not too bad at all
The Nue trigger lowered the pull weight and smoothed the pull
I’m getting 2.5 inch, 5 shot groups off a rest at 100 yards with a three power scope using Wolf Gold 55 grain ammo
I love my Steyr Aug A 3!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for the Nue trigger
My Aug trigger was similar to the trigger of a Glock pistol
Not too bad at all
The Nue trigger lowered the pull weight and smoothed the pull
I’m getting 2.5 inch, 5 shot groups off a rest at 100 yards with a three power scope using Wolf Gold 55 grain ammo
I love my Steyr Aug A 3!
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it's a $2000 gun, and he wants to be able to hit what he is aiming out without an inch long 9# trigger pulling the sights off - would be my snarky reply  

The 2020 sear does help - best option currently available and to me, makes the $2k rifle worth keeping and enjoying.  In the meantime YEA, I eventually still want a 4.5 lb 2-stage trigger that I can upgrade to.  Because that helps me hit stuff!  I can offhand hold a 3-6 MOA target (most shots) with a good 2 stage trigger.  A lot harder with a standard AUG trigger - you just can't hold a target in center for the length and weight of a crappy factory AUG trigger like that.

It matters less from a bench, or on silhouettes at 10 yards.  But if you are trying to hit a 10" gong offhand at 200 yards - it matters a lot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:10:19 AM EDT
[#30]
it does suck, but at least it has a decent break.  compared to a Tavor SAR it seems pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#31]
The AUG trigger does suck...compared the RDB trigger...but its better than the FS2000 trigger...or the horrible Tavor trigger.  My AUG trigger was decent after installing a nuetrigger insert...broke predictably but still had a crap reset
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I wanted to comment on the TSM sear Maleante graciously sent me for my MSAR.  He commented above that it improves creep, travel, break and reset, and I confirm this.

As far as pull, I'll describe it like this:  I didn't expect a candy cane snap target trigger, and it isn't.  It's still an AUG feel trigger which "slides" then drops, but it is more smooth and precise.  It was very noticeable when switching from the TSM back to stock.  

To illustrate:  Stock trigger feel is like- when as a kid, you went back and forth repeatedly with a crayon till there was a waxy buildup on the paper.  Sliding the crayon over this you can feel perceptible roughness and a tacky, plastic feel.  Mine had a barely noticeable notch of resistance at the end of the pull just before break, and an overall springy aspect as well.

The TSM seems rigid, without the springy feel, and the "sliding" portion of travel is silky smooth.  So compare the greasy crayon feel to a pair of expensive barber shears.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I, too, received my 20/20 from maleante, thank you. I haven't installed it yet(still cleaning up/looking for loaned tools/replacing lost loaned tools, from the storm). I need to order the "fingers" portion of the MSAR hybrid bolt Aaron sent me then will install the sear.

What a great community we have here!
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 1:51:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I think the issue is that some people mistakenly compare the Steyr Aug's "bullpup" trigger to the trigger on an AR15. That's an absurd comparison because of the difference in the way the hammer is released. Also, the Aug has a rather large trigger and not the skinny, metal trigger that an AR15 has. For me I actually don't have any issues with the Aug trigger because the larger trigger spreads out the trigger pressure on my trigger finger and makes it feel lighter than it actually is. I actually prefer a 4 lb trigger pull on an AR15 and have changed out all the trigger groups on all of my AR15 type rifles to Geissele SSA-E trigger groups. I still think the Aug's trigger is fine as it is.

Several years before I retired I was issued and carried a Steyr Aug. Others carried those Colt M4 rifles with the shorter barrels, the MK18 I think? Anyway, our quarterly firearms qualifications required us to shoot at distances from 100 yards up to 10 yards. I was just as accurate as the guys with their Colt rifles, even with the so-called crappy Aug trigger. Now that I've retired I have a Steyr Aug A3 as my HD rifle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I will be buying a 20/20 trigger pack when my 100.00 steyr rebate comes back though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#36]
The RDB proves that a bullpup doesn't have to have a a relatively inefficient trigger otb.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#37]
You seem to be on a styer kick lately, first the L9 now this. Glad you have seen the light lol. But manticore has it, it’s not out of the ordinary for a military rifle but it isn’t up to par with the gold standard of upgraded ar triggers but then again what is.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Just ordered my AUG 2020 trigger pack from Ratworx today. Cant wait to get it and hopefully put it together correctly...
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You seem to be on a styer kick lately, first the L9 now this. Glad you have seen the light lol. But manticore has it, it’s not out of the ordinary for a military rifle but it isn’t up to par with the gold standard of upgraded ar triggers but then again what is.
View Quote
What can i say, they make awesome Space guns. I'm going to use the AUG for 3 gun this year so i figured i might as well get their pistol too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What can i say, they make awesome Space guns. I'm going to use the AUG for 3 gun this year so i figured i might as well get their pistol too.
View Quote
You should try one of their bolt action guns. Sub MOA out of the box - with an accuracy guarantee.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#41]
My stock aug trigger isn't to bad.  Wd
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 6:55:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Good trigger, or sucky trigger is all a matter of comparison and point of view.

I have had an almost 10lb DAO trigger on a pistol that only bothered me to shoot when I first got it. I twas long and heavy, however, it was smooth and consistent. Once I developed the strength from repeatedly pulling on it, I was able to shoot it accurately and effectively. Many people I know complained that the trigger was too heavy and too long. While I would agree, it was by no means a "bad" trigger.

My chief complaint about the AUG trigger, is that the ones I have pulled were neither smooth nor consistent. To me, they have felt "mushy" and "sticky". I'm not sure how else to explain it. It's almost like there are parts that are bending without moving, and binding along the way. My mechanical reasoning leads me to assume that this is the rods that link the trigger to the sear. Take a piece of wire and push on both ends, and it will bow. Add some bends into it like the AUG linkage has, and it bows a lot easier, because the force is no longer directly along the center line.

By contrast, my Tavor trigger is consistent and crisp. It's heavier than most of my other rifles, but consistent. It's just a theory, but maybe the difference is that the Tavor trigger design pulls on the linkage, rather than pushing on it? Unfortunately, the differences between the two can't be isolated to that single component, so it would take a lot more time, money, and equipment than I have to be able to say for sure.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Lube the stock trigger pack with armorall or frog lube, great impovement
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#44]
The trigger is not terrible.

But in my experience, it is certainly military grade.

You won't be doing something like you would with a match trigger in which you pull as slow as you want to make the steadiest and the most stable precision shot.

The AUG trigger is hard to break in a sense that if I tried to pull as slow as possible--meaning if I applied the smallest force--the gun would move as the trigger breaks thus hurting accuracy. Try it yourself.

I somehow found it much easier to do military style triggering which got me consistent <2 MOA groupings with M193.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 11:38:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lube the stock trigger pack with armorall or frog lube, great impovement
View Quote
I used a drying teflon lube which worked VERY well.  I really like my AUG trigger.  It stacks well and then breaks very cleanly.  It took a couple hundred rounds but it broke in nicely.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 2:52:30 AM EDT
[#46]
After putting in my new Ratworx 2020 sear kit, I can say I really am impressed at what a difference it truly makes. Im very glad I upgraded.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#47]
is this a new offering?  last time i looked at improving the Aug trigger, the options were not the greatest, esp the neu trigger which looked like I could duplicate with scissors and a coke can.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like Corvus Defensio has the trigger pack pictured on their site, but still undergoing NATO drop testing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Just putting frog lube or armorall on the stock trigger pack makes a big improvement
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just putting frog lube or armorall on the stock trigger pack makes a big improvement
View Quote
So do you just spray the entire trigger pack with ArmorAll?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top