Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2023 5:32:33 PM EDT
Okay...

So the stock was already hacked and mud daubers had ruined the last couple inches of the barrel.

The rifle had languished under a shelf where water had been leaking onto it for years. The thing was fuzzy with rust with the bolt locked up. The shop was going to chop it up, but I took it home instead.

I fired it after the bolt was freed...and the chamber was found...unsurprisingly...to be quite sticky. My kid liked it and wanted it...but he complained about the recoil.

The rear sight was missing...and the end of the barrel was rotted out...so a chop was in order. I would have preferred a lower profile scope mount, but this rear sight was a pressed on ringed affair instead of the usual dovetail.

Anyway, it cleaned up pretty nice and makes a decent shooter. Under the thick layer of rust was a surprisingly intact finish. It is absolutely brutal to shoot indoors thanks to the brake.

My local gunsmith had his lathe break so I bought tools and threaded it myself. What a pain that was.

Anyway...the result isn't bad. It isn't worth shit monetarily, but it makes for a fine and entertaining shooter.
20230526_072205 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
20230514_140716 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I love things like this.

Attachment Attached File

What brake and scope did you use?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Need to cut the barrel to 16"
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love things like this.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/B926BC70-2451-4EC1-A889-3A3C070B9F9D-404.gif

What brake and scope did you use?
View Quote

Yeah. It's a bit of a shame, but at least it continues to breathe life.

It's a Midwest Industries in 5/8-24.

Oh yeah...the scope is a BSA 2-7x pistol scope. It has a disappointingly small eyebox and there's way too much of the inside of the tube visible...but it tracks well and has held zero so far.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I did something similar years back to an old Type 56 that had seen better days.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Need to cut the barrel to 16"
View Quote

It's obnoxious enough where it's at
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I did something similar years back to an old Type 56 that had seen better days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402989/IMG_1444_jpeg-2829997.JPG
View Quote

Noice!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Well done, now go take a deer or hog with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I like it. I might have to do something like that, as I've often wondered how handy a mosin would be shortened.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oh yeah...the scope is a BSA 2-7x pistol scope. It has a disappointingly small eyebox and there's way too much of the inside of the tube visible...but it tracks well and has held zero so far.
View Quote

Interesting use of a pistol scope.

It is your gun, you did what you wanted to. Even cooler is you saved it from a certain death and it lives on!
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is your gun, you did what you wanted to. Even cooler is you saved it from a certain death and it lives on!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The main concern with standard long eye relief scopes is that they get in the way of loading. Something nice like a Burris pistol scope would have blown the budget. My original plan was to sell the cleaned up rifle as is. Since my kid wanted it, I told him that we could put whatever proceeds we get from the sale of his .223 bolt action rifle towards it. The cheek piece put us $26 over budget.

I love the dimensions of this optic, but these lenses, while the image quality isn't bad at this price point...the light transmission isn't great. Had I known I would have purchased the version with the larger objective lens. This one is a 28mm. There's a 32mm available as well.

Another thing that is annoying is that the image is off center in the tube with as much as I had to crank it in. That annoys me to no end. I may get some of the old Weaver windage adjustable rings to correct it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The main concern with standard long eye relief scopes is that they get in the way of loading. Something nice like a Burris pistol scope would have blown the budget. My original plan was to sell the cleaned up rifle as is. Since my kid wanted it, I told him that we could put whatever proceeds we get from the sale of his .223 bolt action rifle towards it. The cheek piece put us $26 over budget.

I love the dimensions of this optic, but these lenses, while the image quality isn't bad at this price point...the light transmission isn't great. Had I known I would have purchased the version with the larger objective lens. This one is a 28mm. There's a 32mm available as well.

Another thing that is annoying is that the image is off center in the tube with as much as I had to crank it in. That annoys me to no end. I may get some of the old Weaver windage adjustable rings to correct it.
View Quote

All that sounds a bit aggravating. But it's a good starting point
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's "Stumpy". 16.1 inch barrel with an aftermarket Enfield

#5 flash hider/front sight assembly pinned and welded.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108158/DSCN7842_JPG-1636078.jpg

I WECSOG'ed it myself.
View Quote

Not bad. I recently came across an original jungle carbine in pristine condition for a reasonable price. It's honestly one of the best handling rifles I've come across...but .303...
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]

I bought this Romanian M44 years ago. I paid 13.00 bucks for it. I had a 20 on me and I wanted to get lunch on the way from the gun show. So we bargained. He considered it a dewatt No paper work.

It makes 16 1/8 inch marking a cleaning rod down the bore then measured with a yard stick.  

I used a taper drill and Dremel ball for the crown. It hits a 5 gallon bucket lid at 250 yards easily.

It had a  barrel almost pinched shut between the end on it now and the bayonet/ front sight. Bayonet must have been out when it happened. It's in good shape and I have it on the end of a walking staff where it still folds.

It looked like a tracked vehicle crushed it or something.

The rifling at.the muzzle was non existent I think by cleaning rod. I have a theory who ever had the rifle was a screw up and was made to clean it all the time. Until he used it as a pry bar and it got squished.

I bought the mount off Amazon a few years back for less then 4 bucks. It had a dinky soft screw that went through the pin hole for the rear sight

There are 3 set screws that are hard. I drilled out the threaded hole at the front just under the size of the original sight pin. Heated up the mount and drove it through. It's solid and I've fired at least 1 of the 880 round cans throught it after mounting it.

The sling came with the rifle. Guy threw it in when I asked him to hold onto it while I looked at the rest of the show..

I think he thought I might not come back to get it.

So I have 17 bucks total not counting the scope. I bought 5 or 6 of the Leupold M8-2X EER scopes for 30 to 100 bucks around 2000 when everyone started buying variable long eye relief scopes.

This is the 30 dollar one. It looked like someone pounded tent pegs with it. It tracked and udjusted fine.

About half way through the crate it would jump about foot out of adjustment. I mentioned this on a scout rifle board. Someone from Leupold messaged me and sent me a mailer. Had it back in less than 3 weeks. They called and said they would fix the finish but couldn't do much about the dents. Free of charge. I declined as it goes with the character of the rifle.

One ot the adjustment teeth was broken somewhere. I think the prior abuse was the problem

Leupold is a great company.

I sold the rear sight elevator and spring for 15 bucks but he only had a 20 I didn't have change  so I threw in a few stripper clips I had that came with the ammo.

27 bucks total including scope.

GD had a thread a couple years back about the worst rifle made.

Someone posted the Mosin and scout rifle. I posted a Pic and told him to shut his whore mouth.

Couple others asked why I destroyed a piece of history and should have fixed it back orginal.  

The guy had M44 for 44.00 at the time

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#15]
double

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#16]
triple
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#17]
quad

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#18]

I bought this Romanian M44 years ago. I paid 13.00 bucks for it. I had a 20 on me and I wanted to get lunch on the way from the gun show. So we bargained. He considered it a dewatt No paper work.

It makes 16 1/8 inch marking a cleaning rod down the bore then measured with a yard stick.  

I used a taper drill and Dremel ball for the crown. It hits a 5 gallon bucket lid at 250 yards easily.

It had a  barrel almost pinched shut between the end on it now and the bayonet/ front sight. Bayonet must have been out when it happened. It's in good shape and I have it on the end of a walking staff where it still folds.

It looked like a tracked vehicle crushed it or something.

The rifling at.the muzzle was non existent I think by cleaning rod. I have a theory who ever had the rifle was a screw up and was made to clean it all the time. Until he used it as a pry bar and it got squished.

I bought the mount off Amazon a few years back for less then 4 bucks. It had a dinky soft screw that went through the pin hole for the rear sight

There are 3 set screws that are hard. I drilled out the threaded hole at the front just under the size of the original sight pin. Heated up the mount and drove it through. It's solid and I've fired at least 1 of the 880 round cans throught it after mounting it.

The sling came with the rifle. Guy threw it in when I asked him to hold onto it while I looked at the rest of the show..

I think he thought I might not come back to get it.

So I have 17 bucks total not counting the scope. I bought 5 or 6 of the Leupold M8-2X EER scopes for 30 to 100 bucks around 2000 when everyone started buying variable long eye relief scopes.

This is the 30 dollar one. It looked like someone pounded tent pegs with it. It tracked and udjusted fine.

About half way through the crate it would jump about foot out of adjustment. I mentioned this on a scout rifle board. Someone from Leupold messaged me and sent me a mailer. Had it back in less than 3 weeks. They called and said they would fix the finish but couldn't do much about the dents. Free of charge. I declined as it goes with the character of the rifle.

One ot the adjustment teeth was broken somewhere. I think the prior abuse was the problem

Leupold is a great company.

I sold the rear sight elevator and spring for 15 bucks but he only had a 20 I didn't have change  so I threw in a few stripper clips I had that came with the ammo.

27 bucks total including scope.

GD had a thread a couple years back about the worst rifle made.

Someone posted the Mosin and scout rifle. I posted a Pic and told him to shut his whore mouth.

Couple others asked why I destroyed a piece of history and should have fixed it back orginal.  

The guy had M44 for 44.00 at the time

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Gotta figure out what's wrong with Google photos  link
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gotta figure out what's wrong with Google photos  link
View Quote

Look forward to seeing it.

Mine has $300 into it...$125 of which was tooling. I might sell the threading tools as a kit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
OP do you reload? Load some 123 grain AK bullets over a milder powder charge for your son. I used to load plinker  rounds for my kids to shoot. AK bullets for  .303 and 7.62R
110 grain m1 carbine bullets for 30-06.

It makes it a lot more pleasant for the recoil sensitive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Needs more red dot
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Needs more red dot
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP do you reload? Load some 123 grain AK bullets over a milder powder charge for your son. I used to load plinker  rounds for my kids to shoot. AK bullets for  .303 and 7.62R
110 grain m1 carbine bullets for 30-06.

It makes it a lot more pleasant for the recoil sensitive.
View Quote

The brake actually makes it pretty tame.

His Maverick 88 that he tried a magnum slug out of the other day is another story.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:01:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Needs more red dot
View Quote

Sir. These are real rifles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm left handed and I love this rifle. The short stubby bolt handle is a hindrance leverage wise for the average right hander.

The tolerance stacking of the Mosin often results in a "rubbery" effect on a lot of rifles. Some are down right horrible others are not.

The fist one I picked up was damn near as smooth as a Krag 1898. Found out a little later most are not. There is a video on youtube that explains it pretty good. C&R Arsenal I think. Minute of Mae if the name is wrong.

In any case I bet I could win some serious money being able to run it faster than a right hander.

I have the grip strength to pinch the nipples of a brass monkey. However I have never been able to apply the safety on that rifle.

One thing the rifle will do with a brass monkey is knock it ears off. It is LOUD.

I took a shot at a coyote not thinking. He was running straight away. My son pointed him out. When it went off we both realized the mistake.

I looked at him and he said " Damn, I think I peed a little." This is a guy who is around artillery.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know if I'd say you chopped it so much as saved it.

Any rifle saved from the torch, even a crappy, screwed up Mosin-Nagant, is a good save.

It has years of life ahead of it now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top