Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2022 10:54:45 AM EDT
And I got to thinking......."Why am I doing this, exactly?"

Because, I have been reloading now for over twenty years.  I have changed the media in my tumbler a number of times and I have noticed that regardless of what I use; walnut and rouge, corn cob....whatever......It doesn't seem to ever "wear out".

So, am I changing it because it is "dirty", or contaminated with lead residue?

Does any of this really matter?  I never operate my tumbler inside, always outside on the back porch with plenty of ventilation and I always wash my hands after doing any tumbling operations.

Are there any recommendations as to the number of hours or the number of cases before media should be changed?

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I change my corn media out when it just appears really dirty and there’s a film left on the brass that transfers to my fingers.  If I’m tumbling to clean brass and it only works to a certain extent, then I’m wasting time.

The “how often” really depends.  Am I cleaning brass used in a suppressed host?  Because 5 batches of that will foul up the media way faster than 10 batches of unsuppressed use brass
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
When it starts to lose effect and adding NuFinish no longer helps, I change it out.  I have a timer and only tumble cases for 4 hours.

There would be no set hours for changeout, because the level of filth on your brass would be a variable.

Corncob wouldn't clean for shit when I used it.  The rouge coated stuff is worse than the plague.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
The proportion of sand and gravel increases in mine until the brass comes out looking sand blasted. Changing the media brings back that nice mirror shine. No noticeable difference in ammo functionality though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
With use, the media picks up a lot of case lube.  It deposits some of this on your brass when tumbling.

Actually, I like this, to a point.  The media abrades the dirt off the brass but leaves behind a microscopically thin layer of lube.  This inhibits tarnishing a bit, compared to the bare brass you get from wet tumbling or virgin walnut media.

At some point, it is just time to swap it out.  You'll know when.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I wash my media every couple years. I put a batch in a 5 gallon bucket fill it to cover the media and add dish washing detergent  agitating it with my hands

I rinse it with a hose allowing it to overflow. The water starts out black and gets lighter then eventually near clear.

I dry it on a sheet of plastic in the sun (Low humidity and 0 chance of rain helps)

After I tumble brass and remove the media I use a leaf blower to get dust off then I use an old cotton T-shirt to wipe the brass of any residue

I do not tumble brass that has sizing lube on it. I remove that with lacquer thinner rather than ruin the media for cleaning brass and gumming up the tumbler
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I get a 40lb bag of crushed corn cob from Zoro Tools for about $35 shipped. I think I just started my third bag in over nine years.

When it gets dirty, I just toss it. Wipe the tumbler out, put some fresh in, add some Nu-finish and let it run with the lid off for a couple hours. Good for several more months.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Media is corn cob 14/20grit  is cheap when bought in bulk (grainger mcmaster-carr).  My general rule of thumb is my brass should nicely done after 2 hrs with corn cob.
I used Flitz, Dillon Polish, or Iosso case polish.
I keep a batch of walnut separate for really gross stuff and for removing case lube.  Buy @ wally world as Lizard Litter (crushed walnut). DO NOT BUY CORN COB @ Wally World or other pet places.
It is way too big.  Need the 14/20 grit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I probably bought the wrong corn cob.  Luckily my neighbor reloads and was happy to get it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When it starts to lose effect and adding NuFinish no longer helps, I change it out.  I have a timer and only tumble cases for 4 hours.

There would be no set hours for changeout, because the level of filth on your brass would be a variable.  

Corncob wouldn't clean for shit when I used it.  The rouge coated stuff is worse than the plague.
View Quote

Same here regarding adding Nu-Finish.  I've had better results with walnut than corncob.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Old dirty still works but I am positive it takes longer.  Fresh cuts to clean brass batter.

To remove some of the filth I would put squares of water wetted paper towels and run them in the media.  They’d be filthy black with burned powder dirt.

I finally lost the motor on my 1980s vintage vibratory tumbler.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I switched to pins and will never look back.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo. Dry tumbling is potentially hazardous and slow.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using the same corncob media for 15 years.  Just toss an old dryer sheet in when you tumble and the media never gets dirty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using the same corncob media for 15 years.  Just toss an old dryer sheet in when you tumble and the media never gets dirty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both wet and dry media tumblers and although I have both corncob and walnut I use the walnut almost exclusively. I like to run dirty brass in the walnut (treated with NuFinish and mineral spirits) for 30 minutes to an hour to get them basically clean for decapping/resizing then wet tumble for bling.

Corncob is used for lube removal.

I change out walnut about 3 times a year. I buy the fine grade at HFT it's pretty cheap and won't clog flash holes should I decide to decap it first.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#19]
A few times over the last years I've noticed still dirty brass coming out of the tumbler.  So I put it back in and run it another 3 or 4 hours.  It comes out dirty as it was before.

Okay, time to change to a new batch of crushed walnut shell media.  That fixes it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks, guys!
Some interesting stuff.

K-762......same corn cob media for 15 years!
You GO girl!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#22]
The two primary dry tumbling media types are walnut and corn cob.  Walnut is good for scrubbing brass, because it is essentially hard, sharp grains - it scours brass pretty well.  Corn cob is good for polishing and shining because it’s flat flakes.  Plain cob media buffs cases, and if you add a polishing agent, it makes the brass even shinier.

As it’s used, walnut grinds itself down, and goes from sharp grains to dust.  It will NOT clean anything when it’s more dust than anything else, but it will make a bigger mess because of the dust.

Corn cob media doesn’t break down, but it does get “full” of the stuff it rubs off of cases.  That can be anything from tarnish to nasty chemicals to whatever…

All dry media WILL get contaminated with soot, lead, dust and sand.  Eventually, you’ll wind up with funky looking media that takes a whole lot of time to sorta get your brass clean.

It’s not expensive stuff.  When it isn’t “as effective” go ahead and get rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#23]
When it dawns on me that my media is taking way too long to do the same job as before....that's when I know it's time to change it.

The first batch with fresh corncob is really impressive after using old media.

Link Posted: 8/14/2022 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When it starts to lose effect and adding NuFinish no longer helps, I change it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
When it starts to lose effect and adding NuFinish no longer helps, I change it out.

Quoted:
Old dirty still works but I am positive it takes longer.  Fresh cuts to clean brass batter.

Quoted:
When it dawns on me that my media is taking way too long to do the same job as before....that's when I know it's time to change it.

The first batch with fresh corncob is really impressive after using old media.

Pretty much all these sum it up.

Some claim that media does not wear out. I, like the above posters, disagree. It does wear out and lose effectiveness.
When it takes way longer than normal to clean the cases, and adding the media additive does not help it much, I dump it and add new.  I prefer the green corncob.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Used dryer sheets in the tumbler seem to greatly extend the life of the media.

Like others have said though, I just toss it when it no longer has the capacity to absorb stuff.

The big buckets of treated Lyman media used to be like $25. I should probably grab another soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top