Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2018 11:23:02 AM EDT
Short video on how to hold/control a MG when shooting full-auto vs semi-auto. Thought it might be of use for those new to the hobby.

Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
And this is how you shoot Full Semi-Automatic.

https://youtu.be/IYjjWPvL9j0
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy derp
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I lean way more forward than that guy, and crouch lower.
I usually explain it to noobs to bend their knees and act like they're about to plop into a La-Z-boy recliner, but then stop and lean forward from the hips sharply. Feet shoulder-width apart and pointing towards target. This offers the best recoil control, while still enabling the shooter to "Groucho walk", or shift positions easily. It's equally convenient to move in any direction, and if they're wearing armor, it will be presented toward the threat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy peasy
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
For the MP5, HK was teaching the method where the shooter centers the stock in middle of the chest, and shooter is more square to the target. The gun is also held higher. Done correctly, recoil management is very effective with this stance.

There are lots of advantages to this HK shooting position.

The downside is that the HK method not the most comfortable shooting stance.  For an afternoon of range fun time, there are better shooting stances.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL. All that for a 9mm. Would love to see how much he does to shoot an M1 Garand or Nagant.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
LOL. All that for a 9mm. Would love to see how much he does to shoot an M1 Garand or Nagant.
View Quote
I know I that that was funny as well but like how he brings up using the support hand to drive the MG into your shoulder, not something most shooters think of doing.

I always find it frustrating when ppl say it's impossible to hit anything with full-auto. With the right fundamentals and enough trigger time full-auto can be extremely accurate, with pie plate size groups out to 25 yards or more.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
or a belt fed
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The "General" was scared of his own gun. Probably the second time in 37 years he ever fired one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or the g3, god that thing is aweful... seen a shooter almost knocked over not expecting the recoil.

However my 51 we have had 100 pound girls shoot it no problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#11]
With 7.62mm HKs it really depends on how the BCG (rollers, locking piece) and recoil spring/buffer are setup. A poorly maintained one will rock you more. A good setup (especially with heavy buffer, HK21 pad) is much smoother.

The M14A1 is kind of a beast as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the Polenar Tactical video, Spartikis.

When people are shooting my subguns or FNC, I tell them to take a boxing stance.

Seems to work for people of all sizes.

That CNN video was painful to watch
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Who else noticed the upside down flash suppressor?

https://youtu.be/IYjjWPvL9j0?t=109

Painful to watch indeed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
That guy was an Army General?

No offense to the military guys but I am not impressed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW- I find that the major difference in shooting full auto -v- semiautomatic is trigger awareness. My hold and stance remains about the same but with maybe a little more forward lean into the target with a machinegun.

For accurate semi-auto shots we are taught to follow through and hold the trigger to the rear as the front sight moves then falls back to where you left it., reset and evaluate. This remains unchanged (or at least it should) even with rapid double and triple follow-up shots. The "slow is smooth then smooth is fast" process of mastering a technique. (something that General did not comprehend. He was fingering that trigger like it was a Prom date.)

However, for full-auto shooting (from a standing position) I am not mentally preparing myself to hold the trigger to the rear but rather press the trigger until my front sight starts to stray from the target, then release. My concentration being on the front sight and the release. I tend to shoot bursts rather than mag dumps. I have never received formal training with machineguns so maybe I am doing it wrong but I haven't been asked to leave a range yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top