Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2023 11:21:29 PM EDT
I'm planning on building a .22 LR AR SBR. It'll have a folding stock with a 4.5 inch barrel with a 7 inch forearm.
It gets measured with the buttstock open, right?
Where do I measure to? The end of the barrel sitting inside the forearm or the end of the forearm?
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:12:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#2]
Stock deployed, fully extended. Measured from rear of stock to the end of the barrel. Generally barrel length +19 inches for a milspec style collapsible butt stock will get you close.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think the AFT really cares.   I've submitted collapsed length and gotten approved.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VaFish:
I don't think the AFT really cares.   I've submitted collapsed length and gotten approved.
View Quote

They don't know if you give them the wrong number in most cases
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
I wasn’t going to say that but no one is ever going to see it but you so it’s somewhat academic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE: They don't know if you give them the wrong number in most cases
I wasn’t going to say that but no one is ever going to see it but you so it’s somewhat academic.

A lot of people new to this stuff don't realize these laws were never really made with how we do things now. They never envisioned thousands of people making guns at home especially stuff like AR's that can be made and re configured in a million different ways. People have made similar arguments about engraving and using the fact that they never got called on it as a sign it's ok not to engrave.

None of it makes any sense to me and they could do some simple things to streamline the process and still keep their precious infringement revenue.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By VaFish:
View Quote

Yea, I fucked up on a Form 1 for a Glock last year and put the OAL of a standard Glock pistol pulled from Glock’s website. It was approved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Glocked:
Generally barrel length +19 inches for a milspec style collapsible butt stock will get you close.
View Quote
I have always used this similar equation as a standard.  You never know when you will add a thicker buttstock pad, etc.  or change the stock out all together.  Don't overthink it. Barrel length + upper receiver length + stock.  No need to be grabbing a tape measure.  Hopefully everyone has passed third grade math.

Remember, they just want their money and to have it in the federal register with a general description of the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

Yea, I fucked up on a Form 1 for a Glock last year and put the OAL of a standard Glock pistol pulled from Glock’s website. It was approved.
View Quote

I did the same thing when I did a form 1 on my G45. They didn’t have the 45 on their drop down menu at the time, so it went to research and was kicked back because of that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By prebans:

That's the wrong way to do it, and you're submitting incorrect info.
View Quote

Yes it is the wrong way to do it, per the instructions that I read after I submitted, but I submitted correct information, I stated in the comments section over all length was with stock closed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#12]
So is it measurement A or measurement B?
Note that it is sitting on a different Taxed SBR lower.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Measurement A
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By PewPewPew1212:
Measurement A
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks ya'll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top