Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2022 10:33:55 AM EDT
I know this topic has been beat to death but i never paid attention to it until now, I know some say use oil on it, but do you soak it in oil? Do you have to heat it up then apply oil?. What have you guys done to give your parts just a bit of a darker tint.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Oil will make it appear darker, but the best way is to add some black to whatever color you're spraying before you apply it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You can soak it in oil but I found the best results came from just rubbing it on the lower and let it “soak” in so to speak, I’ve got damn near perfect results doing this
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can soak it in oil but I found the best results came from just rubbing it on the lower and let it “soak” in so to speak, I’ve got damn near perfect results doing this
View Quote

What oil are you using
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What oil are you using
View Quote

I’ve used, gun lube oil, WD40, and Motor Oil all of which work

ETA:

Fresh out of the oven super light grey

After coating  with oil

As you can see it darkened up quite nice to the point where it’s almost a perfect match to my mid 60’s upper which still has the original anodizing
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks man I will give it a try
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
No problem dude, good luck
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#7]
You don't need to heat the lower up at all before you apply the oil do you? Sorry I was just curious if it had to be hot for the oil to take
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You don't need to heat the lower up at all before you apply the oil do you? Sorry I was just curious if it had to be hot for the oil to take
View Quote

If you're insinuating about the base metal's pores opening and accepting the oil (regardless which direction your metallurgy leans), that would mean the moly resin never coated and sealed properly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top