User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2021 4:11:20 AM EDT
Test
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:24:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Add the FTS NAIL lever too to cover the metal slider.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:44:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are nice! I just ordered one.  Will have to cut my post down a tiny bit since it is designed for using with a butler creek cap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Love it. I wonder if there is a source for the ones like on the iRay MH25 - no lever needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Great idea, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:51:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool. Thanks for posting. My issue with the Tarsier, if you can call it an issue, is the extreme profit margins. It's like a 600% markup for a product (iris diaphragm) that already existed. They just modified it slightly for NVG application. I have no problem with capitalism but I'm also free to spend my money elsewhere

If they had some competition, I guarantee the price would drop significantly. Similar to what happened to the RMR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Add the FTS NAIL lever too to cover the metal slider.
View Quote

https://fts.website/products/nvg-adjustable-iris-lever-nail

$5
$21
$12
$5
$9
$5

$57 (Or if you have duals $114)

Plus some of your time. Yep. I’m ordering all this stuff soon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
$50-60 per tube. That’s a hell of a price savings. May have to try this just for fun sometime soon.

Any issue busting out the glass in the sacrificial lens as I’d prefer less glass in front of the objective. Or am I asking for trouble with being able to easily damage the “tarsier” part?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I never liked the tarsiers. They look goofy and cost way too much. Especially when a flip caps works just as well.

I may try this just for the DIY fun.

I also don understand people that put refocus devices on both tubes of a bino. Maybe its similar to how people buy every gadget they can for their first AR15. But I've never used a refocus device for more than a quick look or fix with just one eye.
Having only one eye "refocused" also allows you to have bifocal vision and be able to look up at anything making noise in the distance hands free, so you don't lose the situational awareness that you would with both tubes "refocused."

I guess it's just another one of my pet peeves, similar to people with using super bright annoying IR strobes on their helmet. (I know it can be useful for a point man in the woods, still a pet peeve)
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My only issue with these is that even fully opened, the iris is still smaller than the diameter of the objective lens, blocking some light. In low light situations, every bit helps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very cool. Thanks for posting. My issue with the Tarsier, if you can call it an issue, is the extreme profit margins.
View Quote

Literally my inspiration for this project.  I get that it is a small market for people with big pockets, but I dislike being taken for a ride lol.

@sogan

The sacrificial window removal was the easiest part of the project.  They push right out.  You can totally skip adding it but it will make your unit much more fragile.  The iris leaves are not sturdy and would gum up with dust/dirt easily.

@Synyster I was worried about that a bit as well but I have not noticed any significant light reduction taking it on and off looking through the tube in a dark closet. Their "might" be the tiniest reduction... But it is so small I am not convinced it is a real functional issue.  I need to take some calipers to check but I don't think it is actually narrower than the lens as the objective has a big rim on the 14.  

I mainly made these for use when walking and running in my neighborhood to protect my tube from bright lights easily rather than taking my caps or a ir pass filter on and off.   I don't really need a refocus device for deep woods use so I'm not too fussed for myself if it is causing a small decrease.

That said using a 30mm iris would likely be ideal rather than this 25 mm one.    I bought this one to fit into a butler cap before changing gears.  Someone should try this:

Use a 30mm to 37mm step up ring (5$) instead of a filter ring.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/809732-REG/Sensei_sur3037_30_37mm_Step_Up_Ring.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_GtPGcV5nfqQ88a4pxcDp8eZrKIjG42yVOQ4owbysMMaIRDUFvPm6waAnkeEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

30 mm iris (35$)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-Iris-Aperture-Adjustable-Iris-Diaphragm-1-5-30mm-/174580349655?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

You won't be able to use the sacrificial lens glass anymore with this.  Most likely using a camera lens uv/clear filter would be the solution.  I'm not going to suggest a specific one without measurements.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My only issue with these is that even fully opened, the iris is still smaller than the diameter of the objective lens, blocking some light. In low light situations, every bit helps.
View Quote

Honestly I can't tell that it does to any significant amount that is even noticeable. I have looked to see if it blocks your field of view and how it affects light input and I couldn't perceive a difference.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Here are mine. I just put them in the lens covers and a single line of electrical tape on the inside of the scope cover to make it fit snug on the lens.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there any advantage to the adjustability of the iris system over an all or nothing lens cap modification?
I use the lens cap mod and can't really see a point in having a 'medium' setting, since it is essentially a pinhole camera effect.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably not if you are looking for an infinity to up close focus. But a medium would work for medium range. I’d prefer iris over the butler just because I don’t want the lens cap flipped up. It would drive me nuts I think
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool mod. Although I do not feel very flexed on
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Probably not if you are looking for an infinity to up close focus. But a medium would work for medium range. I’d prefer iris over the butler just because I don’t want the lens cap flipped up. It would drive me nuts I think
View Quote

Yeah, I really dislike how clunky the butler creek cap is.   Makes focusing harder, etc which is why I like this.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Now take some through-the-lens video and show us how it looks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
If you've got fixed-gain; iris-style adjusters can be an efficient way to adjust the brightness of your view while also gaining additional depth of field. This is also why diopter eyepieces are helpful to have in both lenses for bino NVGs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Tarsier and frankly I'd rather spend the money to buy one than go through all that trouble.

Being able to adjust to a mid distance focus though is awesome.  I set for infinity focus, which is great outdoors, but it's nice when you come indoors into a small space to refocus and see everything more sharply (of course it requires IR light in dark interior spaces when focusing closer).  

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you do anything to check the timing of the ring threads so that your adjustment levers ended up where you wanted them?  I could see threading the rings in before gluing them on and marking TDS so everything lined up right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you do anything to check the timing of the ring threads so that your adjustment levers ended up where you wanted them?  I could see threading the rings in before gluing them on and marking TDS so everything lined up right.
View Quote

No.  I guess you could do that so that it was set at infinity focus and in a nice spot, but since the whole thing spins with the focus ring it seems mostly pointless to me.  

As for actual hassle, it was pretty easy to do.  It should take less than an hour of actual time input.   Given the price differential that's about 165$ for an hours worth of work you can do while watching TV.  Not bad pay even for most of us in the NV game.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now take some through-the-lens video and show us how it looks.
View Quote

Second this
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Literally my inspiration for this project.  I get that it is a small market for people with big pockets, but I dislike being taken for a ride lol.

@sogan

The sacrificial window removal was the easiest part of the project.  They push right out.  You can totally skip adding it but it will make your unit much more fragile.  The iris leaves are not sturdy and would gum up with dust/dirt easily.

@Synyster I was worried about that a bit as well but I have not noticed any significant light reduction taking it on and off looking through the tube in a dark closet. Their "might" be the tiniest reduction... But it is so small I am not convinced it is a real functional issue.  I need to take some calipers to check but I don't think it is actually narrower than the lens as the objective has a big rim on the 14.  

I mainly made these for use when walking and running in my neighborhood to protect my tube from bright lights easily rather than taking my caps or a ir pass filter on and off.   I don't really need a refocus device for deep woods use so I'm not too fussed for myself if it is causing a small decrease.

That said using a 30mm iris would likely be ideal rather than this 25 mm one.    I bought this one to fit into a butler cap before changing gears.  Someone should try this:

Use a 30mm to 37mm step up ring (5$) instead of a filter ring.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/809732-REG/Sensei_sur3037_30_37mm_Step_Up_Ring.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_GtPGcV5nfqQ88a4pxcDp8eZrKIjG42yVOQ4owbysMMaIRDUFvPm6waAnkeEALw_wcB&lsft=BI%3A514&smp=y

30 mm iris (35$)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-Iris-Aperture-Adjustable-Iris-Diaphragm-1-5-30mm-/174580349655?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

You won't be able to use the sacrificial lens glass anymore with this.  Most likely using a camera lens uv/clear filter would be the solution.  I'm not going to suggest a specific one without measurements.
View Quote

Very slick idea to put the sacrificial window over the iris. On my iRay, which gets a lot of use, the iris is subject to grit and wear and tear for sure and it doesn’t protect the lens. Granted, it’s a thermal so you can’t put glass in front of it. But in this application, you’re on to something there
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Neat
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#25]
As requested, through the tube adjusting only the iris.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#26]
noob here. so to use this you would have the objective set for a focus infinity, right?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
noob here. so to use this you would have the objective set for a focus infinity, right?
View Quote

Yes. That would be the best practice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Also if someone wants to take it to the next level you can pop out the sacrificial window and slip them inside the lens cover before the diaphragm and have a protective lens too.

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I can see how this will help out a MX-10160 tube like I have that has no manual gain. And, urban and then deep woods application, it would be a lot easier to control the level of light hitting the scope lens. I'm going to give this project a go for sure. Thanks for the info.

---
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:34:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Also if someone wants to take it to the next level you can pop out the sacrificial window and slip them inside the lens cover before the diaphragm and have a protective lens too.

View Quote

got a pic of this in practice? thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Built one out of boredom on a lazy saturday here.

Well done writeup, easy to do and very functional.
Thanks for the input OP!
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Can you tell us what size Butler Creek cap are those? And, is that the same size iris as first mentioned?

Thanks,

---
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#33]
deleted the original cause everyone was catching on huh?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Build it yourself is not welcome anymore ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I made my DIY the other night only took less than a hour to make the cut/measurements.

https://www.lowlightinnovations.com/product-page/lli-night-vision-filters

This clear lens filter will fit perfectly flush with the butler creek object hole and also screw into the NVG objective housing.

For the perfect cut of the diaphragm slider measure from the end of the Butler Creek cap 0.3" forward and then make your horizontal cut of 1.7" ish point to point for the slider.

This cut will provide your filter lens to sit flush with the objective cap along as sacrificial lens to keep dust from getting onto the diaphragm. The diaphragm is a snug fit into the lens cap and will butt up to the lens filter from the back along with the cut for the diaphragm slider.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Can you tell us what size Butler Creek cap are those? And, is that the same size iris as first mentioned?

Thanks,

---
View Quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H37SGO/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_fabc_0EQAJNSAM4T14GWXQJ14?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Why was the OP edited
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why was the OP edited
View Quote

Tarsier sued him
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tarsier sued him
View Quote

"Night Vision Companies hate him for this one simple trick"
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Off to make his own and sell them on eBay for a 20% markup...
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I made something similar 20 years ago for a NVD, using an iris and all, I love to tinker and do things myself anyway.

Should have I put them on the market myself back then? Don't know... however things happen if you don't have a patent on something then you are SOL, ask me how I know.

So OP deletes the original post? Interesting. I'm thinking more and more this site is not really geared for us DIY NVD and hobby folks, at least to me, however I'm kinda new.

Finishing mine up for a 14 today. If you have a setup with no manual gain, this thing works great. Thanks for the info.

---
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Love mine.

BNVD-UL by J M, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:10:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Test
View Quote

@ShoulderThingGoesUp

Repost, please
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Since OP left us hanging, I'll re-up this thread with my own update.

I wanted to try this but since OP deleted the original thread and GTFO'd I enlisted the Autocad guy in my engineering department to help me out.

I bought a sacrificial lense as well as the adjustable iris and explained to him what I was trying to accomplish.

He did his computer thing with the 3D printer and I have a v1 of a diy tarsier. I want to get him to refine a couple things before I have him make me a set for my dtnvs.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Since OP left us hanging, I'll re-up this thread with my own update.

I wanted to try this but since OP deleted the original thread and GTFO'd I enlisted the Autocad guy in my engineering department to help me out.

I bought a sacrificial lense as well as the adjustable iris and explained to him what I was trying to accomplish.

He did his computer thing with the 3D printer and I have a v1 of a diy tarsier. I want to get him to refine a couple things before I have him make me a set for my dtnvs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384011/20210601_093304_jpg-1963033.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384011/20210601_093317_jpg-1963034.JPG
View Quote

You’re goddamned right freedom is a mindset.

This is the way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Nothing is truly deleted off the internet... For those of you who are still interested:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210328085946/https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/How-to-flex-on-the-rich-Making-your-own-Tarsier/18-523560/

Ive saved the webpage as an offline document, so it this goes down for whatever reason, just IM me and Ill send it to you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nothing is truly deleted off the internet... For those of you who are still interested:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210328085946/https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/How-to-flex-on-the-rich-Making-your-own-Tarsier/18-523560/

Ive saved the webpage as an offline document, so it this goes down for whatever reason, just IM me and Ill send it to you.
View Quote

hmmmm, just saw them went up for sale on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GunAccessoriesForSale/comments/ntxi3g/wts_goon_eye_20_pvs_14rnvgdtnvsdtnvg_refocusing/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're the best !
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Pretty sure that’s the same op as this post
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top