Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2020 11:08:31 PM EDT
Been saving up the machine gun fund for something like a M60 one day... but came across an excellent condition registered receiver Uzi for about $12.5-13k. I think I may be able to talk them down to 12k... but got to wondering just how often machine gun owners actually shoot their Uzis compared to their other sub guns. Never seem to see anyone mention an Uzi among their top favorite machine guns that they own.
I already own a HK sear so I've been having a blast with my MP5s.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s the gun that comes out with me the most.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Comes with me most range trips. Compact. Reliable. Cheap parts. Cheap easy to load mags. Iconic. What’s not to love. Easy to teach people how to shoot safely.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot my UZI far less than my MP5s. It was my first SMG and I love it, would not sell it. But the MP5-N and MP5K-N are just so smooth shooting, one of those always comes to the range.

The Uzi is iconic and is a must own IMO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they were surprisingly ahead of their time. They obviously arent as good as an MP5, but shoot them next to many of the other guns of the era (Sten, Sterling, s&w76, mac10, etc. They feel smoother, they're crazy durable, and really compact. I still think they're often the best value subgun out there at any given time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you have a burning desire to expand your collection of classic action movie MGs I would recommend saving for the Belt Fed or other MG you really want.

Im sure they are reliable but every UZI I see looks like its straight out of the 1970s.

FWIW I dont own a UZI.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Do your homework on what you may actually be buying before you do. Lot of different conversions out there and there are also RR and registered bolts.
They are good guns, a lot more enjoyable when you increase the ROF. They actually smooth out a bit with a higher cyclic rate. Parts are cheap and plentiful as well as mags and barrels.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Literally what everyone posted is true

I have two full auto Uzis one vector 4332, that I use in 9 mm and 22.

In 9 mm it is over 99% reliable and 22 it's 98 to 99% reliable

I then started purchasing everything I needed to make a 45 conversion, barrel bolt and lower then I stumbled upon a Charles Erb registered receiver that was new unfired, I picked it up and it is amazing also

pros are it is a conic, it is the definition of reliable, controllability is amazing, I can easily one hand shoot, magazines used to be able to get four for five dollars each I have hundreds of them sitting in ammo cans covered in oil.

Cons are it is a little heavy and not the easiest to mount optics but I don't care
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#9]
You'll likely shoot it more than you will an m60. Do you have other machine-guns?

Belt feds aren't the most range friendly.  They take commitment.  M60 isn't as bad because you don't NEED a tripod.  But still a lot to carry
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I loved mine with the classic action movie look but figured I would modernize it and I love it even more now. The most fun though is with the 22 conversion.

They are cheap to maintain, stupid simple, suppress well, and run like a top.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I will provide a counterpoint as somebody who has HK Sears, MP5 hosts, an Uzi, and an M60.

I honestly don't shoot my Uzi all that much.   I actually prefer my MP5 guns, the M16/9, and the Smith 76 over the Uzi.  My Uzi usually comes out when there is a shooter who has never shot an Uzi before and wants to try one.

If you already have an HK sear with an MP5, it won't surprise me if you still find the MP5 series to be a superior subgun if you buy the Uzi.    That said variety is nice and just because an MP5 is a better gun doesn't mean owning an Uzi is in any way a bad thing.  Uzis have the benefits as well, easy to maintain, cheap parts and mags, 1980s iconic movie use, etc.

However, if you are building a machinegun collection, already have arguably the best subgun out there, and don't have a belt fed...... an M60 is a completely different shooting experience from either the MP5 or the Uzi.

Granted belt-fed require the right place to shoot and target(s) commensurate with their power to really enjoy.  i.e. nobody wants to dump belts from an M60 into paper targets at an indoor range.  So you have to take that into consideration as owning a belt fed with no place to shoot it doenst buy you much in the experience department.

So it looks like to me like you have a Porsche (MP5) and are asking should I buy a nice Mustang (Uzi) right now or should you continue to save for the Lambo Avendator you really want.   Assuming you have the proper place to enjoy its potential I would vote pass on the Uzi and put the money toward a future M60 purchase.

Just my two cents anyway.  Good luck with whatever you decide as I don't think you can make a bad choice either way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys for the extremely helpful advice. I typically bring my MP5 and my M16 to every range trip, and while I can see myself bringing the Uzi along as well, I don't see myself favoring it over the MP5. Think I'm going to stick with what I've got and save up the pennies for a more special occasion gun like a MG42 or M60. Maybe even a Lewis gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I will provide a counterpoint as somebody who has HK Sears, MP5 hosts, an Uzi, and an M60.

I honestly don't shoot my Uzi all that much.   I actually prefer my MP5 guns, the M16/9, and the Smith 76 over the Uzi.  My Uzi usually comes out when there is a shooter who has never shot an Uzi before and wants to try one.

If you already have an HK sear with an MP5, it won't surprise me if you still find the MP5 series to be a superior subgun if you buy the Uzi.    That said variety is nice and just because an MP5 is a better gun doesn't mean owning an Uzi is in any way a bad thing.  Uzis have the benefits as well, easy to maintain, cheap parts and mags, 1980s iconic movie use, etc.

However, if you are building a machinegun collection, already have arguably the best subgun out there, and don't have a belt fed...... an M60 is a completely different shooting experience from either the MP5 or the Uzi.

Granted belt-fed require the right place to shoot and target(s) commensurate with their power to really enjoy.  i.e. nobody wants to dump belts from an M60 into paper targets at an indoor range.  So you have to take that into consideration as owning a belt fed with no place to shoot it doenst buy you much in the experience department.

So it looks like to me like you have a Porsche (MP5) and are asking should I buy a nice Mustang (Uzi) right now or should you continue to save for the Lambo Avendator you really want.   Assuming you have the proper place to enjoy its potential I would vote pass on the Uzi and put the money toward a future M60 purchase.

Just my two cents anyway.  Good luck with whatever you decide as I don't think you can make a bad choice either way.
View Quote

I'm right there with you, James
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a mini Uzi and several other 9mm sub guns.  I have immediate access to HK autos.  

I’ve had the mini Uzi for about 10 years and I have never shot it.  It’s still new in box.  I honestly don’t care enough to shoot it.  To be fair, my other auto 9mm I haven’t shot either.  

I shoot my Lage Mac all the time and I shoot my CMMG radial delayed with my lightning link the most.

I don’t even know why I have the machine guns.  They have appreciated in value for sure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Never.  Mine doesn't work.

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for the extremely helpful advice. I typically bring my MP5 and my M16 to every range trip, and while I can see myself bringing the Uzi along as well, I don't see myself favoring it over the MP5. Think I'm going to stick with what I've got and save up the pennies for a more special occasion gun like a MG42 or M60. Maybe even a Lewis gun.
View Quote

Well I'm late to the party but it appears you have come to the correct decision.

If you own an mp5 I'd pass on an Uzi.  I have a bunch of time on an MP5 and own an Uzi.  Personally I think the Uzi is a better shooter as it has a bit more weight and the telescoping bolt seems to control muzzle climb better.  The Uzi is also better as it is dead nuts simple.  Most anything wrong with it can be fixed with a hammer.  The 22 kit also is a gem (when tuned correctly) and is second only to a Norrell 10/22.  With all that said, they are both 9mm subguns and you probably wouldn't use the Uzi as the MP5 is a fine gun.  Get the MG42, damn those are sexy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I rarely shoot mine. I used to shoot it a lot but the nearby shoots have pretty much ended.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I look at it from a value proposition vs. what you really want, an M60...

Uzi at $12k is decent but not smoking...  If this was $9-10k from a friend you trust, yeah sure jump on it...  but otherwise keep on saving for your M60.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot my mini uzi occasionally...but not as often as my mp5 or cmmg rdb upper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Group/Vector UZI

Super fun to shoot and the chicks dig it!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:14:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Just for what it is worth (nuttin') I shoot my GI/Vector RR Uzi just about every week at steel matches.
I shoot it far more than my Stemple 76 or my M16.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quite a lot.  It's a toss up between the M16 using a dedicated, 9" bbl. .22LR upper, or the full size Uzi SMG using the standard 9mm set up (I do have the .45 ACP and .22LR conversions) as to which gets shot the most.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump.
But it looks like the OP has already made a decision but the UZI is the only MG that I bring to the range EVERY time and I can pick from quite a few guns.
Why ?
Its reliable, cheap ammo (or used to be), easy to clean and if something like a squib round screws up a barrel; toss it and put in a new one.
Try that with an MP5 or Thompson.
Plus the UZI is a classic design, not like shooting a cigar box like a MAC.

Guilt and worry free shooting.

If I had to choose but 2 MGs it would be an M16 and an UZI.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Just picked up a Vector 22lr kit for my full-size UZI. Which I think is going to breathe new life into it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How often do you guys shoot your Uzis?
View Quote

I only have one Uzi, and I have not fired it in over a decade
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just picked up a Vector 22lr kit for my full-size UZI. Which I think is going to breathe new life into it.
View Quote

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?72204-22LR-Conversion-Kit-Tuning-Procedures

Read the above link or you will hate the kit.  Using the above procedures mine runs at probably 99%.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?72204-22LR-Conversion-Kit-Tuning-Procedures

Read the above link or you will hate the kit.  Using the above procedures mine runs at probably 99%.
View Quote

Thanks, a friend has his and many other's vector kits running perfectly with BWE’s tweaks. He’s going to get me squared away.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
­?  my mini Uzi.

View Quote

I just bought a new Group Ind/Vector mini a couple weeks ago for $11k. I really wasn't looking for one but I could not turn it down for the $$.  I probably won't shoot it since I have a Lage'd MAC and AR15A2 RR

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That was a helluva deal on that Mini for $11K.  
View Quote

I thought so too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Never.  Mine doesn't work.

View Quote

Alot now that I got it fixed.  The receiver was "bent" .001" out of spec and now it runs flawless.  Thanks to Sam at Practical Solutions!
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Alot now that I got it fixed.  The receiver was "bent" .001" out of spec and now it runs flawless.  Thanks to Sam at Practical Solutions!
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That was a helluva deal on that Mini for $11K.  
View Quote

Uh, yeah. That’s a fantastic deal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just bought a new Group Ind/Vector mini a couple weeks ago for $11k. I really wasn't looking for one but I could not turn it down for the $$.  I probably won't shoot it since I have a Lage'd MAC and AR15A2 RR

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14209/20200902_084237-1588989.jpg
View Quote

I'll give ya 10 for it just because of the close relationship we've build over the last few posts :D
Dont want ya too lose too much money

Perhaps a Lage'd Mac shoots better (what does that mean ?  More accurate, less recoil, more reliable...what ) but it aint no Uzi.
Does a Lage kit turn this ugly duckling into a golden goose ?
I have 4 MACs in all the calibers (9MMx2)
The only one I get a kick out of is the .380 version because its just nuts in cyclic rate.
Otherwise an UZI just bitch slaps a MAC.
This is real weapon of war.
Not a Miami drug dealer special.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

So size DOES matter ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'll give ya 10 for it just because of the close relationship we've build over the last few posts :D

Perhaps a Lage'd Mac shoots better (what does that mean ?  More accurate, less recoil, more reliable...what ) but it aint no Uzi.
The only one I get a kick out of is the .380 version because its just nuts in cyclic rate.
View Quote

If you own 4 MACs and no Lage kits you are missing out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

My M10/45 with the 45 upper runs easily 1000RPM. I have a TASK style system running in it with a 5oz buffer. Heaviest buffer I had laying around for the carbine tube. The rifle buffer that came with the gun was 8oz. It runs like a raped ape in 45! Now to add a barrel thread I can use to that barrel.

I also have a Lage Max10/31. It runs about 600RPM and very very controllable. You can do close range mag dumps and kept everything on a 2/3IPSC target without trouble. Goes way way slower with some of my 165gr subs!

If you read history of the Mac, it is a real weapon of war too. Just much smaller numbers. Ingram and Sionics made a slick little package that we can do all sorts of stuff with today.

Both are fun platforms. If you don't like the Mac you could sell a couple to fund an Uzi.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I’d go 12k on the Mini right now, look at that- $1000 profit!  IM for details....

Smoking deal obviously....

I paid 5k for my full sized converted.  2 years ago....  so I cannot be too jealous.

Probably go shoot it right now just because of all the UZI discussing you guys have been doing.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#40]
At least once a year.
I take it to the cabin anytime I am going to spend the night.

If you have an Uzi, get a can and put a 1" buffer in it...you're welcome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I hate my uzi.
View Quote

There is a solution...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Both are fun platforms. If you don't like the Mac you could sell a couple to fund an Uzi.
View Quote

I have way too much money wrapped up in "socially unacceptable" weapons.
Thinning the herd by over a half in an upcoming auction though it pains me incredibly.
Selling perhaps the finest Colt 1921AC in captivity. Chased that gun for years. Shot it once and felt guilty afterwards.

Of the half dozen I'm keeping the UZI is a slam dunk no-brainer.
All other sub guns (except a HK MP5K) will go before it.

Still looking for a C+R Swedish K though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
­?  my mini Uzi.

View Quote

My mini Uzi is a crowd favorite.  I have a AWC mk9 can on it for that 80s look/sound.  I picked it up here from a SOT for $6200 back in 2008-2009.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

At least once a year.
I take it to the cabin anytime I am going to spend the night.

If you have an Uzi, get a can and put a 1" buffer in it...you're welcome.
View Quote

This is most accurate and best post yet. Speed it up some to smooth it out and run with a suppressor. My kids love it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Mines not a MG but I absolutely love it shoot it quite a bit. Not sure if that counts. I need to add a railed top cover.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I recently put my .22 kit in mine.  That's about the only way I will be shooting it lately!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Pretty frequently since I have my own range 100ft from my back door and no close neighbors to complain.

Have conversions for .45, .22LR and dabble with them once in a while but 9mm is the usual.
By cutting 3/8ths of an inch off a plastic semi buffer ( use a properly squared up mitre saw ) and placing the larger piece in front of the original buffer, you can speed up the ROF to where it runs smoothly.
A speed loader also helps to keep the mags full.

Uzi is a must have subgun, I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I have one and hardly ever shoot it. I pick my lage m11/9 and m16 over it when I head to the range. I could care less about it being "iconic" lol it's an old head gun.

Hard to mount optics and heavy compared to my m11/9. I just may sell it now lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top