Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2018 4:17:21 PM EDT
So to get roughly the same load in commercial ammo, how much do you reduce your nato/mil cases?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I was sizing them down to .260, and had to reduce my H4350 charge 1.3gr to achieve the same velocity. Not sure if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was sizing them down to .260, and had to reduce my H4350 charge 1.3gr to achieve the same velocity. Not sure if that helps.
View Quote
It does. I was thinking about 1 grain.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I should add...I had previously been using Lapua brass.

So 45gr of H4350 in Lapua cases to 43.7gr in necked down LC brass.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#4]
2.0 whole grains is the rule of thumb.

What load are you currently using and what brass? Winchester brand .308 is the lightest and will allow the highest safe powder charges.

My maximum charges in Lake City/IMI brass are:

168 grain match bullets
Winchester standard large rifle primers.
2.800" OAL.

40.5 grains of IMR-4895
41.5 grains of IMR-4064
40.0 grains of H4895
43.0 grains of WW-748
40.5 grains of AA-2460
41.5 to 42.0 grains of VihtaVuori N150
41.5 to 42.0 grains of Varget
41.5 to 42.0 grains of RE-15

I usually get my best accuracy around .5 grain under these loads.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why in the first place?

Hence with hand loading, you can control the Ogive COAL of the ammo to have less jump to lands for each rig at hand, and by working up your loads from the powder start points to find both nods that shoots the best, you can come up with a lower speed load that gets the bullet sleeping quickly for shorter ranges, and a faster load that may take longer yardage for the bullet to sleep, but better for less wind doping isntead.

Hence 308, and the standard load for say a 150gr bullet is 2600fps, but may not tack drive in a rig instead.  
So slower node for short range, faster load for longer shots, that both gets the rig to take drive, will put the shot where your aiming isntead.

So find the nodes, and then you can build the needed charts from there for your yardage adjustments isntead.
View Quote
The way I read it, he was using standard commercial brass, and just got some LC/Mil brass. He's really about the differences in the internal capacities.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why in the first place?

Hence with hand loading, you can control the Ogive COAL of the ammo to have less jump to lands for each rig at hand, and by working up your loads from the powder start points to find both nods that shoots the best, you can come up with a lower speed load that gets the bullet sleeping quickly for shorter ranges, and a faster load that may take longer yardage for the bullet to sleep, but better for less wind doping isntead.

Hence 308, and the standard load for say a 150gr bullet is 2600fps, but may not tack drive in a rig instead.  
So slower node for short range, faster load for longer shots, that both gets the rig to take drive, will put the shot where your aiming isntead.

So find the nodes, and then you can build the needed charts from there for your yardage adjustments isntead.
View Quote
I have a bunch of hke and lc brass I'm going to load for my shtf stash.

Current powder is shooters world tactical rifle. I was going to use 42 grains with a 150gr bullet
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The way I read it, he was using standard commercial brass, and just got some LC/Mil brass. He's really about the differences in the internal capacities.
View Quote
Thw load data i have is with commercial brass
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MIL 7.62 has had slightly thicker walls for a long time now.
This reduces the internal capacity of the case and increases pressure.

Not a problem in many uses but a near max (or max) load developed using commercial
cases can be over max in a thicker and heavier MIL case.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]
When I shot HP with an M1A, I used any brass I could get my mitts on for practice.

For the longest time I standardized on light Winchester brass (say, 155 grains - don't remember) and used that as my baseline for loading.

Needless to say, weigh different headstamps.  They were all over the map.

I used a 7:1 ratio for case weight differences to powder differences.  If another batch of cases weighed, say, 170grains, I reduced my powder charges by 2 grains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top