Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2023 9:11:41 PM EDT
I have a buddy who has a wood stock, blued model 60. He has had it since the 90's. He said it has several thousand rounds through it and has always worked flawlessly. It looks about like you would expect a 30 year old weekend shooter to look like. He wants $200 for it. Is that a good price right now??
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a buddy who has a wood stock, blued model 60. He has had it since the 90's. He said it has several thousand rounds through it and has always worked flawlessly. It looks about like you would expect a 30 year old weekend shooter to look like. He wants $200 for it. Is that a good price right now??
Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Any poor bastard that shoots a Marlin Model 60 probably really needs the money. Give him $300.

There are people here that love them, but the later ones were very cheaply made and breakage prone in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
My model 60 was new in like 2011 or 12.
I paid $189 for it from farm king.
It's had maybe 1000 rounds thru it. Never had a problem with it. I can't even imagine what could fail on it?

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I paid about $59 in 1977.  Used up a lot of my grass cutting money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I paid about $59 in 1977.  Used up a lot of my grass cutting money.
View Quote
$35 in 1981 Montgomery Wards was closing out their guns. I think it was 50% off MSRP
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My grandfather bought me one when I was born. It was a shitty jammomatic; sold it when I was young and dumb. Despite being a piece of crap, I've tried to hunt it down a few times and always hit dead ends.

Minus the sentimental value, I'd recommend a 10/22.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I would pay $200 for it in a heartbeat.   I sold an exc cond one in Nov for $390
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's had maybe 1000 rounds thru it. Never had a problem with it. I can't even imagine what could fail on it?

View Quote
Recoil buffers tend to fall apart with age.   Also recoil springs, especially if you feed it a diet of Stingers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Recoil buffers tend to fall apart with age.   Also recoil springs, especially if you feed it a diet of Stingers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, both are wear items, just like any other gun.  The plastic buffers tend to get brittle with age and various solvents and eventually break; the gun usually keeps working though.  There are aftermarket buffers made or you can 3D print them.  Recoil springs wear out if you shoot a lot of "hypervelocity" loads but it's also common for folks to kink them when reinstalling if they take them that far down.  I prefer the Marlin to the Ruger all day but how much I paid for one, especially a run of the mill Model 60, would depend on condition.  You can look at Gunbroker to get an idea what they're selling for but I wouldn't pay $200 unless it was a stainless version in good condition.  Around $135-150 or so would be my FTF offer unless he was a decent friend who you knew needed the money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not up on the current values, but my buddy and I both had them back in Jr. High ('77-'78 or thereabouts). IIRC, I dragged my Mom into K-Mart to do the paperwork. They were the Glenwood model and I don't think they were over $75.00. We put countless bricks of cheap .22 though them, only cleaning them when the gas blow-back got unbearable. I think I ended up sandblasting the receiver of mine down to raw aluminum and fitting it with a poly/metal SS folding stock of some sort years later, the make of which escapes me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a new production Marlin model 60 (2010 manufactured), it was my first gun. My grandfather bought it for me behind my anti-gun parents back.

They are great guns, I have easily over 20k rounds through mine. They just work and work and work. They are worth 150 bucks IMO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Went to several pawn shops in Waco TX and saw two of these while there. One over $400 and another around $250 ish. Forgot the exact amount. I’d say anything under $250 is probably a fair price. Especially if I was in the market for one specifically. I don’t see many old 22’s these days. All gone like the $250 marlin 336’s. ??
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
A couple of months ago, Praco had a couple.  One was under $200 (I think they had $90 in it, just remember trydealing is the pricing code)...
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe I’m just unlucky. But all three I’ve bought were jam o’ matics. Clean, dirty, CCI Mini Mags, Stingers, Standard Velocity, Remington, Federal, high end gucci ammo. All three couldn’t get through a tube. Tore all three apart down to springs, clips and pins. Cleaned so you could eat off the parts, lubed, unlubed, nothing worked. Now they sit in a corner.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:02:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Maybe I’m just unlucky. But all three I’ve bought were jam o’ matics. Clean, dirty, CCI Mini Mags, Stingers, Standard Velocity, Remington, Federal, high end gucci ammo. All three couldn’t get through a tube. Tore all three apart down to springs, clips and pins. Cleaned so you could eat off the parts, lubed, unlubed, nothing worked. Now they sit in a corner.
View Quote

What are they doing or not doing?  I used to buy them when I'd find them cheap, clean them up and repair if needed and use them until I'd find the next one.  I think I've given away about a half dozen of them over the years to friends or coworkers who were looking to get into shooting or were looking for a .22 to teach their kids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd reiterate the comment about checking gunbroker to see what current prices look like. I own a bunch of model 60s and have never paid over $175 or maybe $200 for one.

Prices can vary significantly based on age, features, conditions, etc.

They can definitely be finicky when it comes to performance. I keep a stockpile of spare parts on hand and have had good luck keeping most of mine running smoothly.

I really enjoy tinkering with them, though. It's quite satisfying to take a jammomatic and transform it into a sweet shooter.

Some work great right off the bat, and some need a little love. Recoil springs, buffers, feed throats, and ejector springs are common issues on these rifles.

It's also important to note that there were multiple design changes made throughout the Model 60 production period, so parts are not always going to be interchangeable on any two given guns.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:57:13 AM EDT
[#16]
That's was my first firearm!  I bought it used at some country store for like 70$ in the early 2000s.  I sanded and restrained the stock.  Sanded and repainted the barrel and receiver with high temp grill paint.  Added a cheapo 40$ walmart scope.  Attachment Attached File
It was fun.  But it never worked right.  She was very used up!  Will never sell it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]
$200ish. I grabbed a like new , newer model with  qr code thing on rec , a few yrs ago for $150 from a private individual.i would not pay $300 for one, thats 10-22 pricing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd prob do $200. The prob with the marlin is the feed ramps.  They are split down the middle. Over time the separate causing fees issues.  Took me a long time to get this one to run.  But it does run now.  Not my favorite 22 but it works. Pretty accurate and has a cool stock.

Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
A few years ago I bought a used one for $100.

New one I bought years ago was $100.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
If you see them on the local for sale gun boards they start at $300 or so.
I won't pay that much, but someone is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That's was my first firearm!  I bought it used at some country store for like 70$ in the early 2000s.  I sanded and restrained the stock.  Sanded and repainted the barrel and receiver with high temp grill paint.  Added a cheapo 40$ walmart scope.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425157/20230218_035456_jpg-2715333.JPGIt was fun.  But it never worked right.  She was very used up!  Will never sell it.
View Quote

That looks really good! I have the Marlin that takes 7 or 10 round mags that my Dad bought sometime in the '70's and I won't part with it. I would buy another but wouldn't pay more than $200.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I've had three of them.  First was a used one that I picked up in San Antonio pawn shop decades ago ($40).  Still sits down at my mothers there.  Around 95' or so got a NIB for my oldest son.  Believe he still has it.  Bought another NIB (Remington) end of 19' $145 WalMart.  Have less then 50 rds thru the newest only cause I've only been home 8 weeks since then.  Iraq is getting old.

Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Own two of them, one is my first gun bought in 1975. Both have been 100% & accurate as hell.

Used prices are higher since Ruger bought Marlin from Freedom Group & the Model 60 is no longer made. Ruger won't make them because they're better than their 10/22 models.

$200 is a bit below market price, IMO. I'd buy it in NY minute if it's decent.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#24]
They aren't as whizbang as a 10/22, but mine has been boringly reliable and remarkably accurate, even with super crappy ammo like Remington thunderbolt. Mine is a mid 90's stainless version, my first 22. I don't get it out often, but when I do I often realize I forgot how enjoyable it is for a no frills semi auto 22.

I'd definitely FO for $200 if it's in good shape.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]
See used ones from $125 pretty worn to around $300.

I bought one about 20 years ago, it is super reliable.   Very accurate.   Enough that I was pretty annoyed when I bought a 10/22.

About 3 years ago I bought another that was "off".  I think I have issues sorted now, but it was assembled late on a Friday.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine at Kmart in the 80’s.
Started jamming after 10,000 or more rounds. I wish I knew who could work on them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#27]
@Serenity7

Marlin Model 60: How To Make It Run Like New!

This is a pretty good video. They look much more intimidating to take apart and clean proper than they really are.

Super easy.

I want to say I payed like $224 at wally world sometime in the last 15 years.  Not that I don't like mine, but I'd be all over a vintage one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:04:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@Serenity7

This is a pretty good video. They look much more intimidating to take apart and clean proper than they really are.

I want to say I payed like $224 at wally world sometime in the last 15 years.  Not that I don't like mine, but I'd be all over a vintage one.
View Quote

Thanks! I’ll check it out
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Serenity7

Yep. That’s most likely the problem.
Top Top