Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2022 12:56:19 PM EDT
If you send in a bunch of F1's at once, do you need just one set of photos and prints, as you would think, as you only send in one copy of your trust.

Or does ATF divy up the the forms to different examiners, such that if the photo and prints are not paper clipped to the F1 then you're delayed or in NFA purgatory?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
One set works.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One set works.
View Quote

Edit: Situation below was eform 1.  Sounds like you are doing paper?

There are many examples where that is true.  I had one experience where I don't believe that was the case.  18 months ago I sent in two Form 1 Silencer apps with one set of prints.  One application was approved in 30 days.  A couple days later I called to make sure they had prints for the second app. and while they couldn't give me a definite answer, the lady recommended I send another set, which i did with the cover sheet from the unapproved form.  Almost exactly 30 days later, that one was approved as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if I'd do a paper or E-form.  Gonna wait and see how the pistol brace proposed Rule comes out and if they do offer a tax free NFAing, and if that's available on both e and paper forms.  

So, just general background for me as to the number of prints and photos I'd need.  I haven't done any NFA stuff since the change was made about Trusts now needing such things for Responsible Persons, so having to send anything besides the form and trust copy is new to me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you send in a bunch of F1's at once, do you need just one set of photos and prints, as you would think, as you only send in one copy of your trust.

Or does ATF divy up the the forms to different examiners, such that if the photo and prints are not paper clipped to the F1 then you're delayed or in NFA purgatory?

Thanks,
View Quote

Anything I've seen or read over the years indicates each form 1 form 4 needs it's own set of printcards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks,
View Quote

I've had customers buy four silencers and there were three different examiners signatures.
This summer I had an error letter on a customers where ATF said his paper Form 4 was missing prints and a copy of his trust. That F4 was submitted by Silencer Shop.
I called the examiner and told him the customer had two pending paper Form 4's and prints/photo/trust was submitted with each in the same envelope. He was adamant that there was only one form and that it had nothing else with it. The next day I received an approved F4 signed by that examiner. I called back and left a voice mail that he never returned. A week later I received the second F4 for the customer......signed by the same examiner.

TL/DR ATF is clown world.
I would staple everything to the F4.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to submitting an individual set of supporting documentation (fingerprint cards, trust copies, responsible party form, etc.) with each individual NFA application.

There are plenty of folks who historically have sent in multiple applications with one set of supporting docs and gotten all of the applications approved.    So in this regard, yes... there is no shortage of historical precedent of applicants who have only sent in one set of supporting docs and gotten multiple applications approved.

However there are also a subset of those applicants who only send one set of supporting docs with multiple applications where it doesn't all go to plan. They end up having applications split up, examiner woke on up on the wrong side of the bed, etc. and they end up getting 1 out of 4 applications approved or 3 out of 4 approved, etc.

Sometimes these applicants are contacted by the NFA branch to let them know of the issue and/or the applicant finds out because they called the NFA branch to check on status.    If the issue is caught in time the NFA examiner is sometimes able to use the recently  approved applications prints/docs to clear up the remainder of the stuck applications, sometimes applicants have to send another set of supporting docs to the NFA branch, and other times applicants find out when applications come back disapproved with little to no recourse but to start the process over.

So the question really comes down to, what level of risk do you want to take to save money by not sending a complete set of supporting docs with each application?   I do believe the odds are in your favor given the number of success stories out there but I also know its not a 100% risk free option either based off a minority of problems reported as well.

For me personally fingerprint cards are essentially free (the ATF mails as many to me as I want and I roll them myself) and paper/ink from my printer also cost almost nothing.  

So given there is almost no meaningful cost implication for me personally to send a complete set of supporting docs with each application, that is what I have always done.   I prefer to maximize my odds of success on each application when the approval process timeline is measured in months (or more) and I am dealing with a government agency that can be challenging, unpredictable,  and with few options in the way of recourse if I don't like the outcome.  Again for me, why take the risk of problem and potentially have to start all back over, even if its a small risk over a couple extra fingerprint cards, etc.

The one thing I have never heard of is somebody having problems or getting denied because they sent in a full set of supporting docs with each application.

Now if you are somebody who pays their local PD $20 per print card, purchases passport photos at $5 per picture at wal-greens, you don't own a printer and pay 5 cents a page at Kinkos to print, etc. than maybe the cost savings vs. risk is totally worth it to bundle up multiple apps with one set of  supporting docs.

Each applicant will have to weigh the pros/cons for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses.  You'd think you'd only need one set, as you only ever send in one copy of your trust.  But it's probably easier to lose the print and photos than a 30-40 page trust.

I'll just send in one set of it all and make them work for it.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I called the ATF to ask due to the mixed information I heard online.   The lady on the phone said I had to send separate sets of prints for each form in the envelope,  so I did that.  Guess there is no single right answer.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I called the ATF to ask due to the mixed information I heard online.   The lady on the phone said I had to send separate sets of prints for each form in the envelope,  so I did that.  Guess there is no single right answer.
View Quote
Sent out a bunch of F1's today. I didn't call, I just sent one set of prints for each form. Figured this was the safest bet...

I just hope my solo fingerprinting work is good enough
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I called and they told me one set was fine, but that I should put a clear note indicating there were multiple applications enclosed.

Glad to see they give consistent answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top