Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2021 8:45:00 PM EDT
My rifle only came with one which seems typical of the newer ones.   Obviously you need more that one mag for semi but how many?   I'm thinking max of five but three would probably do everything you could ever want or need to do plus protect the value of the rifle setup.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Four.

I use two regularly and don't get the others out much. For a long a day, I might pack three but we aren't talking high volume of fire.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm interested in people's opinions on this as well. There are a lot of ways to look at it, but I personally like to assume that someday, possibly, I won't be able to get replacement parts, ammo, etc for the guns I own. I like to have more than I think I'll ever need, and while it would take a crazy expensive amount of ammo to wear out even one mag, they are still wear items.  It's also nice to be able to have a good amount of mags loaded up and ready to go. I have two M82's, and right now I have 13 mags total. 6 per rifle was my original goal, but I think I might end up with 15 mags total to end on a nice round number. I buy the cheaper M82 mags, as the witness holes aren't worth the extra cost to me, personally, and I think that's the only major difference, although I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
4-5 would be ideal. I run a M95 and I’m amazed at how the 5rd magazines aren’t too far off in price of the 10rd ones. Be nice if the 10 could fit on a M95
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I could use another one. But for me one is plenty.

Where can you find these for less than $150?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got my factory mag and two that I got off EE for $75 each. I feel adequately prepared.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 8 82a1 mags and 6 M95 mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to get off topic, but are there any differences between the M82A1 vs M107A1 mags, besides the witness holes?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to get off topic, but are there any differences between the M82A1 vs M107A1 mags, besides the witness holes?
View Quote
Per a reddit thread they are interchangeable.

I try to plan 10 mags per gun when I get something that uses a specific magazine, but at their price, i'll be happy with 3-4 for the time being..
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I try to have 6+ mags for anything mag fed that I own.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally I try to have 6+ mags for anything mag fed that I own.
View Quote

That's the number I abide by as well.

Barrett M82 mags are $$ so some might be
inclined to get by with 1-2.  With this current
market and .gov rhetoric there's a real possibility
all availability could be curtailed or go to zero.

2 = minimum, 4= acceptable, 6+=preferred
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, the average seems to be higher than I would have thought.  I'm thinking five is where I want to be but not set on that number yet.  I don't see these mags wearing out as a real concern but if you went the semi route to begin with it's clear the desire is to be able to keep sending ammo downrange and that means multiple mags.   That being said Barretts are not machine guns so 10 mags is in belt fed territory and may be beyond the design parameters of the rifle.  So in my mind the number might be less than 10 for operational use and maybe an additional two as replacements.   That's my thoughts at the moment anyway.   Anyone know what military units/snipers carry?  Videos I've watched appear to show 3 mags, one in the rifle and two extra loaded.  More than three and the weight is going to get up there real quick.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow, the average seems to be higher than I would have thought.  I'm thinking five is where I want to be but not set on that number yet.  I don't see these mags wearing out as a real concern but if you went the semi route to begin with it's clear the desire is to be able to keep sending ammo downrange and that means multiple mags.   That being said Barretts are not machine guns so 10 mags is in belt fed territory and may be beyond the design parameters of the rifle.  So in my mind the number might be less than 10 for operational use and maybe an additional two as replacements.   That's my thoughts at the moment anyway.   Anyone know what military units/snipers carry?  Videos I've watched appear to show 3 mags, one in the rifle and two extra loaded.  More than three and the weight is going to get up there real quick.
View Quote

Keep in mind not every magazine will be loaded identical.

Mag 1 = 750 AMAX for precision
Mag 2 = 690 (M2) AP for punch
Mag 3 = 647 (M8) API for punch + fire
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
How many fit in a chest rig?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top