Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2020 2:35:11 PM EDT
Suppressor bought and submitted through SS.  Approved by ATF July 30th.  We're now September 12th and the dealer still has not called for me to pick it up.  Is it really taking this long?  Whom can I call to try and get it by next week?  Monday will be 46 days...
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Call after 45 days.
(304) 616-4500

You’ll probably be asked serial number and dealer name.

Yes it’s really taking this long.

Enjoy your first NFA item.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
mine took a month back in April/May
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call after 45 days.
(304) 616-4500

You’ll probably be asked serial number and dealer name.

Yes it’s really taking this long.

Enjoy your first NFA item.
View Quote

Not the first, just the most painful.  Prior took longer, but the approval from the ATF was quicker this time.  Didn't expect the stamp delivery post approval to be 25% of the wait.

Edit: and looking at the pinned Form 4 tracker, many are picking them up much quicker from approval to dealer.  At least my efile form 1's have been blazing fast.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
My first one was approved on a 2/5 and dealer got it on a 3/2, my second one was approved on a 7/30, dealer got it on a 8/25.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
been waiting for mine since 5-10-20 its sept 12 & still waiting.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
been waiting for mine since 5-10-20 its sept 12 & still waiting.
View Quote

Approved on 5-10 and they haven't sent the stamp to your dealer?  Have you reached out to see what is going on?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Approved 8/19 and Im getting damn impatient waiting for the stamp to arrive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
my first was done back in march/april. check was cashed april 24 and haven't heard  anything since. i did call the ATF around the 3 month mark and said it was still processing. from what i have read it has been taking around 8 months so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
my first was done back in march/april. check was cashed april 24 and haven't heard  anything since. i did call the ATF around the 3 month mark and said it was still processing. from what i have read it has been taking around 8 months so.
View Quote

This isn’t about how long it takes to get approved, it’s about how long it takes between approval and receipt of the stamp, which should normally only be a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This isn’t about how long it takes to get approved, it’s about how long it takes between approval and receipt of the stamp, which should normally only be a couple of weeks.
View Quote

well then ether way im still waiting
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  44 freaking days from approval for them to just get the stamp to the dealer.  It's unreal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

I'm one of the very few TBDs to receive on the thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Last one was approved 5/29/20. Arrived at dealer 9/2/20

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Last one was approved 5/29/20. Arrived at dealer 9/2/20

View Quote

Did you call at some point?
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have two that were approved 07.20.2020 and still nothing at the dealer.. Haven't called the ATF yet.

Fwiw the dealer said they have been seeing longer times between approved and received lately.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#17]
My last one was fast! The first two a couple years ago were just over a year. Next order was 11 months. This last one was ordered was received by ATF 3/26, approved 8/11, and dealer called me 8/26. A 5 month round trip. I had planned on having to wait at least another 6 months. All were trusts through SS.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Called the ATF.  They said I need to write a handwritten letter, mail it, requesting a certified copy sent to either me or the dealer.  They say you can do this at the 45 day wait-to-receive-stamp timeframe.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Suppressor bought and submitted through SS.  Approved by ATF July 30th.  We're now September 12th and the dealer still has not called for me to pick it up.  Is it really taking this long?  Whom can I call to try and get it by next week?  Monday will be 46 days...
View Quote

First timer I see
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First timer I see
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First timer I see

Nope
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Called the ATF.  They said I need to write a handwritten letter, mail it, requesting a certified copy sent to either me or the dealer.  They say you can do this at the 45 day wait-to-receive-stamp timeframe.  

View Quote

I was going to start a similar thread too, but this is germane to me. Even using snail mail usps, shouldn't take more than 1 week.

Has anyone actually done the letter/ certified copy route? I'm coming up on 1 month since my approval. Just called the ATF last week and they state that I was approved 8/20, and before I hung up, the atf dude did state that I could do this route.

From the look of things, this seems to be the norm - waiting for the stamp to show up, not actually waiting for the approval.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Actual stamps are taking longer to get to the dealer these days. I spoke to a nice young lady at the ATF the other day and she said most examiners are working from home and only go in to drop off approved forms every couple of weeks. Just depends if yours was approved just before the drop off.

And then the USPS is involved at that point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Even using snail mail usps, shouldn't take more than 1 week.

View Quote

ATF doesn't mail stamps the minute they are approved. A Form 4 approved on Monday may not see an envelope for two weeks or more, then run through a postage meter.....then mailed.

I regularly see F4's signed two weeks before the postage meter date.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#24]
My most recent was approved 8/18/2020.  Still waiting.

I'm super curious if anyone has written the letter at the 45 day mark.  If you have, chime in here!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm curious as well, has anyone actually written to the MAN and requested a certified copy be sent?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Approved 8/24.  Looks like I have a few more weeks to go....
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 4:03:38 AM EDT
[#27]
My Form 4 was approved 8/26/20. The envelope was postmarked 9/08, and it arrived at the FFL on 9/15.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 4:11:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My most recent was approved 8/18/2020.  Still waiting.

I'm super curious if anyone has written the letter at the 45 day mark.  If you have, chime in here!
View Quote

Well I wrote mine. Gave them all information I thought was relevant and then made the request. Asked for it myself vs sending to the dealer. ATF wasn’t very helpful in defining the fields I needed to have covered in body of the letter. Also can’t remember handwriting anything in a long time. Fitting I suspect when dealing with our fine government
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:08:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lucky.

My checks were cashed the first week of February and I’m still not approved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lucky.

My checks were cashed the first week of February and I’m still not approved.

My thought is very little difference in being approved or not if they leave the stamp (or whatever initiates then to the dealer getting the stamp) on their home work station chairs post approval.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Waited 6 months and it took them 21 days to get it and then call me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#32]
On day 46 I'd be calling asking for a replacement be sent certified mail ASAP....  its been running 20 days or so for my stamps once approved
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Approved on a form 4 trust on 8/24/20, no call from dealer yet. 29 days now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My thought is very little difference in being approved or not if they leave the stamp (or whatever initiates then to the dealer getting the stamp) on their home work station chairs post approval.
View Quote

Agreed. Forms mailed out to stamp arriving at dealer are the times that really matter.

Link Posted: 9/22/2020 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Waiting on a sept 2 approval / pending February 28 to show up at my dealer. You all are not making me feel any better. I guess this is just the latest and greatest attempt to make stuff more frustrating. Seems like it’s always something new.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Still waiting.  Sent the letter via snail mail to them requesting a certified copy.  Tomorrow will be 56 days from approval.  Mighty fine work, ATF...
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Still waiting.  Sent the letter via snail mail to them requesting a certified copy.  Tomorrow will be 56 days from approval.  Mighty fine work, ATF...
View Quote

66 days since approved now for me. Should probably write that letter... Mind sharing exactly what info /format /whatever they wanted?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why didn’t you send it via NFAFAX?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lady said to mail it in, so like a good citizen I picked up the can and complied.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

66 days since approved now for me. Should probably write that letter... Mind sharing exactly what info /format /whatever they wanted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lady was not helpful. I ended up giving them name, address, email, phone number, serial number and model references, date approved, dealer info...basically anything I thought relevant to verify who I am, how to reach me, and what I need (certified copy of the stamp).

We’ll see if they is what they needed. It’s been pretty frustrating at this point.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The lady was not helpful. I ended up giving them name, address, email, phone number, serial number and model references, date approved, dealer info...basically anything I thought relevant to verify who I am, how to reach me, and what I need (certified copy of the stamp).

We’ll see if they is what they needed. It’s been pretty frustrating at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand 30-45 days as they are supposed to be working from home, coming in once a month to drop off approved forms and get another stack of forms to work. Then they get put in a to be mailed pile at the office to go out.  

But why so many 55-65 days since approved??
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#42]
hmm interesting..... i just got a call my stamp came in to come pick it up. so basically 5 months on the dot from my check cashed to tax stamp in hand. just cant go pick up till friday
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#43]
This one is turning into another tracking / complaint thread. There’s no logical reason or consistency for the timeframe. Locking it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top