I love threads like this
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks been out designing my own wildcats
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bags533:
I didn't look through the entire 60 page thread, so I apologize if this has been covered.

Has anyone used an end cap like this?  Gripper Plug
View Quote

I used one, but I remember having to replace the wing nut with a standard nut as the wings rubbed against something IIRC. But otherwise it worked fine.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
has anyone tried the ceramic media like buffalo arms sells?
my brother uses them with black powder cartridges in a thumblers and it works great.
maybe not heavy enough for this type of drum?????????????
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the BA ceramic in the small BigDawg tumbler to clean .44 wcf and .45 Colt loaded with Black Powder because I had them around from using them in a RCBS tumbler.  Works fine.  I use the pins for the smokeless and BP rifle cases .45 gov't and .38-55 in the large BD tumbler..
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:12:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lopus68] [#7]
Sorry to revive an old thread...I've read though this entire thread over the last few nights and have decided to take the plunge in building a Biggdawg style tumbler. It has not been with out issues:

I jumped the gun and bought a 3 phase motor - I now have to re-sell. Damn!

Bought a air over duty motor - do I need to wire in a fan to keep it cool during it's 2-4 hr cleaning cycle? Was thinking of a 110 CFM 120 x 120 mm fan

Motor #2 is a 1075 rpm motor 5/8" shaft (I think).  I'll be running 1/2 SS shafts. The motor pulley is going to be 1.5". Should I run a 4" or 3.75" pulley to hit the magic 60-70 RPM target? Running a 6" drum 16" long.

I'd do the math myself if I could understand the math to begin with - MATH IS HARD! (for me)

So far I've purchased: 4 - 1/2" pillow bearings, 4 - 1/2" collars, pipe, end cap, 6 x 4" bell reducer (+ 2 motors!)

I think I'm going to either weld the frame or build it out of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" extruded T-Slot

Thank you all in advance!

Humbly yours,

Lou
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkBinSC] [#8]
I would estimate your tumbler RPM at

1075 x 1.5 / 4 = 403 rpm drive shaft

0.5 x 403 / 6 = 33.6 rpm tumbler

with a 3.75 pulley, you should hit 35.6 rpm

If you want to get 70, you need to use the 3.75 pulley and 1 inch drive shaft.  That would give you 71.2 rpm
The calcs above don't take into account the added thickness of the rubber on the drive shaft. If the hose is 1/4 thick, the half inch shaft will grow to one inch and get your 71.2 rpm.

Everyone feel free to review my calculations and make corrections.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MarkBinSC:
I would estimate your tumbler RPM at

1075 x 1.5 / 4 = 403 rpm drive shaft

0.5 x 403 / 6 = 33.6 rpm tumbler

with a 3.75 pulley, you should hit 35.6 rpm

If you want to get 70, you need to use the 3.75 pulley and 1 inch drive shaft.  That would give you 71.2 rpm
The calcs above don't take into account the added thickness of the rubber on the drive shaft. If the hose is 1/4 thick, the half inch shaft will grow to one inch and get your 71.2 rpm.

Everyone feel free to review my calculations and make corrections.
View Quote

Thanks for the formula Mark!

I'll be using 1/2" ID fuel line for my shafts so 1" sounds about right. So then the 3.75" pulley would get me 71.66 RPM vs 67.16 for the 4". I guess either one would be ok.

I'll probably end up using the 3.75" factoring in the fact that a 6" drum is actually closer to 6.5" at the fittings - giving me 66.15 RPMs.

Anyone have an opinion on the "air over duty" motor + external fan question?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Never heard of that type of motor.

Are you sure of your terminology?

Maybe post a pic and I will recognize it.
View Quote

Here's a link to the motor (#2)

It's a motor for a blower (AC) so it's normally cooled by the fact it's spinning a huge fan blade. I'm going to wire in a pancake fan just to be safe. Just realized, I'm going to have to build a motor mount for it. Crap! Always something...

Also, I was just measuring my fittings in the garage and noticed that the diameter of the end cap is closer to 7-1/4". That seems to totally throw off the formula Mark gave out.

It would seem like I need a 2" drive pulley and the driven pulley would need to be 4-1/4" for 69.77 RPM (driven by a 1075 RPM motor).

1075 x 2" / 4.25" = 505.88

1" x 505.88 / 7.25" = 69.77 RPM

Seem right?

Thanks!

- Lou
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
What is ideal rpm for the drum ? We are rigging up a 5 gallon bucket tumbler and it's spinning good maybe too fast ?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Easy_E:

What is ideal rpm for the drum ? We are rigging up a 5 gallon bucket tumbler and it's spinning good maybe too fast ?

View Quote
I was spinning 5 gallon buckets at approx 52 to 55 rpm for 60 to 65 minutes.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By kaos:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kaos:

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
You can tell I'm not an ACR guy. Ya better rig a fan if motor runs hot.

I would run tumbler first and see how hot the motor got.

View Quote

As would I.  I dont think the motor will have issues.  Big motors like these spin the drums likes its childs play.  If you have a problem, then do something about it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:41:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#17]
This is my question: I have the exact Emerson 8000 1/4HP, 1725RPM motor from the OP, and I am using it to turn a 5 gallon water cooler jug (filled to about 2.5 gals, just below the neck when laid on its side) at about 60rpm. The motor gets almost too hot to touch in a matter of minutes. Wiring was done in accordance with the motor manual, and it does not spark or anything like that.

Should I be mounting a cooling fan or some vanes to dissipate this heat?

I haven't even added brass or SS tumbling pins, so it's going to weigh even more fully loaded. I haven't determined the number of cases or amount of media I can safely add.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
How did you slow the rpm's ? I couldn't get my motor to start with a fan speed control
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GTLandser] [#19]
How did you slow the rpm's ? I couldn't get my motor to start with a fan speed control
View Quote

Mine? I have a (I think) 2" pulley on the motor, and a 6" on the output shaft, and a v-belt in between. I am just estimating RPM's based on counting revs with a stopwatch. I tried an online calculator but it gave me goofy numbers.

ETA: I think the main thing getting me the relatively low RPM is that the outer diameter of the water cooler jug is between 11-13". That probably has more to do with it than anything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

Mine? I have a (I think) 2" pulley on the motor, and a 6" on the output shaft, and a v-belt in between. I am just estimating RPM's based on counting revs with a stopwatch. I tried an online calculator but it gave me goofy numbers.

ETA: I think the main thing getting me the relatively low RPM is that the outer diameter of the water cooler jug is between 11-13". That probably has more to do with it than anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

The numbers I'm getting aren't working out either . I have some pillow blocks and pulleys may have to try it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone still want to weigh in on the need/methods of reducing heat for the motor? If I am going to set this thing on a timer for a couple hours and walk away, I'd rather it not burn the garage down somehow.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#22]
What kind of motor are you using? If it's an "Air Over Duty" motor, the fan you'd need to cool it is prohibitively large. I tried to run it without a load and it got to 145* within 10 minutes. I sent it back to the seller and am waiting for a new motor to get shipped out. It's a "Continuous Duty" (usually labeled: CONT on the ID plate of the motor).

- Lou
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lopus68:
What kind of motor are you using? If it's an "Air Over Duty" motor, the fan you'd need to cool it is prohibitively large. I tried to run it without a load and it got to 145* within 10 minutes. I sent it back to the seller and am waiting for a new motor to get shipped out. It's a "Continuous Duty" (usually labeled: CONT on the ID plate of the motor).

- Lou
View Quote

Don't have the data plate handy right now. But it is this one: here

Didn't see anything at the link about rating for CONT or AOD. It has never tripped the thermal protection, but it has gotten quite warm.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#24]
How warm is "quite warm"? Can you leave your hand there for a more than a few seconds or is it immediately too hot to touch?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I could leave my hand there, but I wouldn't want to for an extended period of time. I think I was even using a light glove at the time (some of those foamflex ones, rubbery grippy palms and stretchy fabric backs, if you know what I mean). I could not detect any smell of burning or anything, and no unusual sounds coming from it, just whirring like a running motor...and hot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I just ran my motor for about 30 minutes and took it's temp with a laser thermometer. Peaked at about 130*. My old "air over" motor got to 145* in about 5 minutes. I think that's about as hot as the new one's going to get.

Can anyone with a laser thermometer take a reading next time they run a tumbler cycle?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lopus68] [#27]
I finally finished!!

Ended up building my tumbler from 80/20 1-1/2 inch (15 series) aluminum t-strut.

Here's the requisite bling shot:

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks to BIGDAWG and all who have posted.  I took liberties with the initial design and decided to use a treadmill because it was free. It is not as cool as others out there but the price was right

Pro's:
Free treadmill for parts
Variable RPM with no torque loss.
Runs cool.  Just a few degrees above ambient temp during run time.
Adjustable roller spacing.+/- 3/4".  Also, can adjust if a drum likes to 'walk' on the rollers.

Con's:
Large foot print.  After I was finished i realized I could have cut it down by another 12" and moved the controller bar closer to the motor. May still do that to fit on a bench.
Additional wiring.  Had to add a pot for the speed control, a main power switch and an additional switch to bypass the safety start.
Locked into a single drum length due to the length of rollers.

Wet is the way to go.

Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: U-T] [#29]
Great thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

I haven't built anything from steel and welded in a lot of years, and a close look will show how out of square my box is, but I got the top level at least. The frame is welded together (why didn't I think to use those magnetic corner squares??) and it looks crooked but it's all done and it works for me.

Turns the buckets at ~33 rpm

-1.5" x 1/8" angle iron.

-Used, 1/2 hp GE motor. 1725 rpm. 1.5" drive pulley.

-3/4" pillow bearings with 3/4" cold rolled steel rods wrapped in friction tape

-6" large receiving pulley with two 3" pulleys to drive the second rod

-Cheap lawnmower wheels from lowes held on by 1/2" carriage bolts. Longer 1/2" carriage bolts for the ground stands

-I can fit a 2 gallon and 5 gallon bucket on simultaneously.  Gamma lids used.

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Is any one building these type of units for sale?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By U-T:
Great thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

I haven't built anything from steel and welded in a lot of years, and a close look will show how out of square my box is, but I got the top level at least. The frame is welded together (why didn't I think to use those magnetic corner squares??) and it looks crooked but it's all done and it works for me.

Turns the buckets at ~33 rpm

-1.5" x 1/8" angle iron.

-Used, 1/2 hp GE motor. 1725 rpm. 1.5" drive pulley.

-3/4" pillow bearings with 3/4" cold rolled steel rods wrapped in friction tape

-6" large receiving pulley with two 3" pulleys to drive the second rod

-Cheap lawnmower wheels from lowes held on by 1/2" carriage bolts. Longer 1/2" carriage bolts for the ground stands

-I can fit a 2 gallon and 5 gallon bucket on simultaneously.  Gamma lids used.
View Quote

No problems with the buckets walking ?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone proved if the fins inside the tube are required?  I've used the HF rock polisher method for a while and that works great without anything inside.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:02:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gage] [#33]
Originally Posted By learfxr:
Has anyone proved if the fins inside the tube are required?  I've used the HF rock polisher method for a while and that works great without anything inside.
View Quote
They are required. I have no "proof".

However, if a cylinder is used and there are no fins or other agitation, the media and shells will mostly just slide along the slope of the sideways cylinder.

You need the fins to cause the media and shells to tumble.

I have a Thumbler's Tumbler and it is hexagonal on the interior so the transition from one flat wall to the next over 60 degree angle cause the tumbling.

You can experiment with a plastic or glass jar some pebbles and water.  Fill the jar 1/3rd full of round pebbles and the rest with water. Cap it and roll it across a smooth surface and the pebbles will mostly just slide along the inner surface of the jar and not tumble.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By bags533:
I didn't look through the entire 60 page thread, so I apologize if this has been covered.

Has anyone used an end cap like this?  Gripper Plug
View Quote

The best plug setup I have found so far is a 4" test plug from Lowe's.

It has a really big plastic wing nut so it's easy to use. The washer that it comes with doesn't allow it to expand enough so I chucked it and use a 4" Fernco bushing. It fits so perfect you only need about 2 turns to tighten it
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Gage:
They are required. I have no "proof".

However, if a cylinder is used and there are no fins or other agitation, the media and shells will mostly just slide along the slope of the sideways cylinder.

You need the fins to cause the media and shells to tumble.

I have a Thumbler's Tumbler and it is hexagonal on the interior so the transition from one flat wall to the next over 60 degree angle cause the tumbling.

You can experiment with a plastic or glass jar some pebbles and water.  Fill the jar 1/3rd full of round pebbles and the rest with water. Cap it and roll it across a smooth surface and the pebbles will mostly just slide along the inner surface of the jar and not tumble.
View Quote

The HF tumbler has nothing inside to agitate the materials, but it is a rubber material so I don't know if that is why it works.  I picked up a small pvc pipe to cut up for the fins, but if it's not 100% needed it would be nice to skip that part.  Figured it was worth asking about.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I would argue they are NOT required. They may help, but in the 4" pipe I used to use before I built the larger tumbler with the 6" PVC I never had any fins and it did a pretty good job. I would say go for it, and if it works for you, great, if not, adding fins isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Bump, just because this thread is worth it.

I'll leave this bit of advice as many have before.  Mostly, for my own knowledge reinforcement.

When you wet tumble cases after final prep (.223) to remove the case lube,etc. Clean your media and drum afterwards with a good de-greaser.  First batch was pure gold, second looked like it was tumbled in manure.  I sat and stared at the awful looking cases for about 10 minutes until the "dumbass" light came on in the old noggin.

Good media and drum cleaning, we are back to making gold!
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#39]
If you can put your hand on the motor and are able to keep it there around 10 or 15 seconds without burning yourself, the temp is around 135*F.  That temp is fine for a motor.  When you can't touch it without burning yourself, then that is way too hot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 2:07:36 AM EDT
[#40]
I almost made a tumbler myself. I had a fan i kept from throwing away and scrapped the motor out of. I could do really small batches at a time. I abandoned it about halfway into making it. I'll use the motor for something else. I put up a cheap red dot sight i bought used for $30 and sold it for $35 and had that sitting in paypal jail. So i bought a frankford arsenal tumbler for 33.28 i think off of fleabay.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:44:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Leo31] [#41]
i need help on the size pulleys to order. I want to use a five gallon bucket. I have hard wired a 1725 rpm motor that I got on craigslist. I ordered two 1\2" stainless steel rods and four pillow bearings. In order to get the bucket approximately 60 rpm what size pulleys do I need and does the belt length matter? Thank you
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Leo31:
i need help on the size pulleys to order. I want to use a five gallon bucket. I have hard wired a 1725 rpm motor that I got on craigslist. I ordered two 1\2" stainless steel rods and four pillow bearings. In order to get the bucket approximately 60 rpm what size pulleys do I need and does the belt length matter? Thank you
View Quote
You might need to do some math.  First you'll need to figure out the rpm of the rollers, to do that you'll need the circumference of the rollers and the bucket and use that ratio to determine the roller rpm. Once you can figure out the rpm of the rollers you can use the rpm ratio of the rollers to motor speed to figure out the pulley sizes. And no, belt length does not change the ratio of your pulleys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#43]
I know this is a really old thread but just wanted to say thanks. This is just what I've been looking for.  Will work great for tumbling scuba tanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BMD:
Don't think I ever posted a pic of mine up, but here it is.  I originaly made it with the intent of being a dual drum (small and large) but i don't think the motor is strong enough and the small drum alone is good enough for my purposes, hence the new frame on the bottom.  Finaly got someone to show me how to weld... my welds look like crap but they should hold, still happy with it though, just needs some paint.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3870/14243172459_7ea9c3effa_b.jpg
View Quote

@BMD

What sort of motor and switch, and can you give me a rough parts list for your drum?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

@BMD

What sort of motor and switch, and can you give me a rough parts list for your drum?

Thanks!
View Quote

@lilMAC25 Sorry for the rather late reply...  I was trying to find this thread to remember how much soap/lemishine I needed, life has been busy and haven't shot or reloaded anything in a few years, time to fix that.

The motor is by GE, got it from my father who has his own HVAC business, so my guess is its a motor for a belt driven blower.

This is what the rig looks like after putting on the metal frame (never posted a pic of that).

Here's a pic of my timer, as it doesn't have a switch on the tumbler, as I just have an outlet box that I made with a built in timer.

The drum itself is mostly the same as everyone elses described just with different agitators.  6" drainage pipe with an end cap and 6x4 reducer with a 4" rubber cap.  For my agitators I used strips of composite decking boards as i had a small scrap piece, and it works well for my application.

And todays proof that the rig still works.

Link Posted: 8/29/2020 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks!
Page / 31
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top