Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2018 7:55:48 PM EDT
Looking to get my first Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39.

All I can find about the finish is that it is Matt Black.

So, is that just simple bluing or something tougher?

I'm going to be doing a lot of swamp running and I'm worried about the finish holding up.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont run around the swamps but I do NOT care for my rifles very well. Used for 3 years in the high country and doesnt even have a scratch yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Ruger rifles and handguns that are 30+ years old and their finish has held up over the years. With that said, and a guess, the finish should hold up for many years on the latest firearms being produced.

Quoted:
Looking to get my first Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39.

All I can find about the finish is that it is Matt Black.

So, is that just simple bluing or something tougher?

I'm going to be doing a lot of swamp running and I'm worried about the finish holding up.

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought a Ruger Ranch in 300 BLK 16" barrel bolt action. I think the flat black finish is poor. I think if you breath on them without a good protective oil that rust will show up. Mine does anyway and shows a few signs of rust. This is shot and not cleaned for a few days. Not my skin oils either. If you take care with a protective oil you should be ok. My 300 BLK Ranch Rifle has the cheapest quality plastic mags I've ever seen. See that new ones may support GI AR magazines. I do like shooting the little rifle and it shoots well. Wish I had known there would be a AR magazine rifle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have Ruger rifles and handguns that are 30+ years old and their finish has held up over the years.
View Quote
My Ruger that's a little over 20 years old turned from black to purple in not too many years.  It all depends on which process Ruger used to make the part in question.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Ruger Americans you need to wipe it down or rust will appear overnight on the blued steel and on the bolt body.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Had mine ceracoated Magpul OD Green.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine have stayed same color as new after a couple of hunts.

Didn't submerge it in seawater and leave it for a week, but I did wipe it down at the end of the day...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top