Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2023 10:20:37 PM EDT
I’ve been trying and it’s not coming off. This thing right hand threads? I don’t know what the fuck. Can someone please help me out? any technique? Heat required? Any kind of vise clamps or some shit like that? I haven’t tried hard yet because I don’t wanna ruin the barrel
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
They were metric and standard thread depending when it was made. Don’t see any that are left handed threads though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For YEARS they were left hand threads

I had to use heat to break mine loose.
View Quote

Correct. Just found references to my thread. The newer augs are 1/2x28 RH though.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Just got mine off a few days ago.

I had to buy a barrel vice clamp set. I purchased a hard rubber clamp set from Amazon for about $50.

Then i used a breaker and barrel nut wrench with the A2 flats and spun it off... got past the threadlock pretty easily.

I think just want for the flash hider and ignored the locking nut.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, thanks a lot for these replies. Mine was purchased about 10 years ago or so, before Maryland banned them. I believe mine is made by saber defense.
So they are left hand threads?
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey, thanks a lot for these replies. Mine was purchased about 10 years ago or so, before Maryland banned them. I believe mine is made by saber defense.
So they are left hand threads?
View Quote
Yes, as far as I know those should be left hand threads. Mine is about 5ish years old and has LH threads. I couldn't get mine loose and ended up bringing it to a friend who had a barrel clamp, he cracked it loose pretty quick
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#7]
All SDI guns are left hand threads.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
OK I just tried removing it, left-handed, I put some heat on it too and I couldn’t get it off. What are the wrench sizes required? I’m using an A.R. 15 combination tool to get it off but I can use two wrenches on it but I don’t know what their dimensions are. One wrench has to be thin to fit on the lock nut. Can someone help me with that?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to say read the excellent instructions in:
this thread
read report on page 3 of the same thread for tips and links to good wrenches but a lot of the pictures are gone, so it may not be as useful these days.

"The short version is torch the thing until it starts smoking (this took a LOT longer than I thought it should have) and keep torching it until it STOPS smoking (this also took a LOT longer than I expected).  Then you can probably wrench it apart in a barrel vise with two of those Stahlwille wrenches.  I tried the "step on the wrenches" technique but only after torching it the first time (didn't start smoking) so probably not a fair test - or I'm just a lightweight   On this barrel, the flats of the check nut and flash hider were only 10-15 degrees apart, so also probably not an ideal case for the two-wrenches-and-a-fat-guy method either.  YMMV of course, but use the blue wrench LIBERALLY until you get smoke coming off and don't quit until she stops smoking."
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I used dual 19mm wrenches. Thin ones I bought on Amazon.

One for the jam nut and one for the FH.
Mine was right handed thread. Took a little bit of force, but I was able to get it off without heat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you gentlemen. I ordered two thin 19mm wrenches from Amazon.  Should I use a yellow mapp torch or the blue ones?  I’m afraid the mapp will overheat the barrel
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you gentlemen. I ordered two thin 19mm wrenches from Amazon.  Should I use a yellow mapp torch or the blue ones?  I'm afraid the mapp will overheat the barrel
View Quote

Try it without heat first
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Took mine off today.

Large flat blade screwdriver into the flash hider and gave it a sharp yank and it “popped” then unthreaded with some very light resistance but came off smoothly. 1/2x28 RH thread. It’s now got a vortex FH on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thank you gentlemen. I ordered two thin 19mm wrenches from Amazon.  Should I use a yellow mapp torch or the blue ones?  I’m afraid the mapp will overheat the barrel
View Quote

I used propane in a turbo-torch, getting the threadlocker smoking is a good sign you've got it hot enough.  I doubt MAPP is needed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My two thin wrenches came in from Amazon today.  I tried without heat and no go. I put some heat (blue propane) until smoke started, and it came off easily.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My two thin wrenches came in from Amazon today.  I tried without heat and no go. I put some heat (blue propane) until smoke started, and it came off easily.
View Quote

Good to hear!

ETA: It might help others if you could link the wrenches you got since I think the links in the old thread are dead...
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good to hear!

ETA: It might help others if you could link the wrenches you got since I think the links in the old thread are dead...
View Quote

Here’s a screenshot of the ones I used:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good to hear!

View Quote

I used two of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0791YQTLB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
They’re cheap, like $8 each
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I had to do one a month ago. Very hard to get off. Went through a few sets of wrenches. Check/lock nut got very marred, and gouged. I picked up one of the original, octagon style check nuts but the newer contoured barrels are too wider for it.

I am using an old YHM flash hider/mount with my barrel. But the super long threading is giving me pause. Muzzle device right up against end of barrel leaves a ton of exposed threads. Using the check nut and the muzzle device does not contact the shoulder. Are you going to use the check nut or any kind of shims to cover the exposed threads?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Bottom out the mount and use a alignment rod and call it good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Steyr AUG flash hider removal in 30 seconds
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#22]
It’s not rocket science just need two wrenches.
Cheap wrenches on a belt sander if needed to thin
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#23]

I can tell you from personal experience that not all check nuts and flash hiders are oriented at close to 90 degrees like that, and that with a 200lb man jumping up and down on the one wrench some still will not budge without significant heat having been applied previously.  That's a great illustration of how it should work, and will if the factory threadlocker is absent, applied sparingly, or broken down with the blue knife...  during some eras the factory applied threadlocker like it was essential for life itself and those flash hiders aren't coming off without serious torching first. YMMV as always.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
FWIW I have used a heat gun vs torch to remove high temp sleeve retainer compound. About 5 minutes of heat evenly applied crumbles it. I believe it’s harder to remove than almost any thread locking compound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top