Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2021 7:00:38 PM EDT
I've burned up over 2,500 rounds since getting my anniversary model some weeks back and am throughly loving it! Although I do wonder if I'm ever going to get the chance to clean it since it runs nearly spotless, even the piston and plug just show a bit of residue. Now I'm trying to decide what sling to use. I want to stick the factory sling points as I just can't get into the aftermarket options like the take-down QD or the Velcro straps.

Any input as to what you've tried would be great, especially the WHY you did or didn't like a particular set up.    

Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#1]
In general I can't stand 3-point slings (photo 1).  However, after trying all 4 of the configurations, I have found that the AUG system works best, with the 3-point sling.  In that configuration, one can side-carry the rifle with the muzzle pointed forward, either directly forward, or slightly pointed to the ground.  And then with one-hand, drop down and control, and engage the AUG with ease, while still in that location, or lift it quickly the shoulder.  

It's a situational sling.  You'll get DQ'd from a 3-gun match in about 3 seconds flat doing that, if not careful.  But in settings such as in your home, or in a hunting camp where you won't be sweeping others, it's a very effective method.

Combine that with a small laser mounted on that reciever Pic-rail if your model is an A3M1, then you can engage the laser with your trigger hand readily and thus send aimed shots one-handed hip-firing that way.  You have a remarkably effective all-day carry and ready rifle.  You can drop your hand down and engage a target instantly.

This won't work with an AR-15 or other non-bullpup, as they don't balance right, and the trigger location is wrong.  But with an AUG, it works very well.  note also, that the AUG is completely slick and will smoothly ride on the right hip of a right handed shooter in comfort.  It even naturally engages the safety in this manner (trust me, that's a good thing).

So my vote - is photo #1.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Corvus Rail + Steyr factory AUG sling + Gearward Ranger Band
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Two point sling from red wire on the standard spots. But stock and front qd pointAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a magpul 2 point sling with QD swivels and the connector. I also replaced the original sling swivel with a QD stud from Midwest.  I can carry either two point or 1 point configuration. I want to be able to use one sling for as many guns as I can, to reduce costs and manage conformity. Also, this is very handy for me with its quick adjust strap. I can switch it to my back and tighten it down to do manual tasks or quickly loosen it as needed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know why the Midwest Industries qd replacement says not compatible with M1 Aug?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does anyone know why the Midwest Industries qd replacement says not compatible with M1 Aug?
View Quote
QD replacement of what?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
QD replacement of what?
View Quote

This:
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-Steyr-AUG-QD-Swivel-Take-Down-Pin-p/mi-augqds.htm
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
In the description, last bullet point:

Not compatible with A3M1 Aug Rifles
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, I notice the 2nd review on that page says, “Works Fine with A3M1”.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FWIW, I notice the 2nd review on that page says, “Works Fine with A3M1”.
View Quote

I saw that, curious why the mfg says not compatible but some users say works fine. I've come across other users who reported issues with it. Figured the hive mind might know what's what. Maybe Meleante  (sp?) will chime in. He seems like he knows quite a bit about all things AUG.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#11]
One of my favourite modern slings is the British Army issue style that was brought into use along with the SA80 bull-pup rifle.

They need a lot of time to put on correctly, but once fitted give a wide range of carry options/styles

Happy to send you one if you cannot source a local one
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#12]
For what it's worth the Corvus QD takedown pin is incredibly nice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats the exact same pin I am currently using on my STG-77... also an M1 style AUG. It works perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use a magpul 2 point sling with QD swivels and the connector. I also replaced the original sling swivel with a QD stud from Midwest.  I can carry either two point or 1 point configuration. I want to be able to use one sling for as many guns as I can, to reduce costs and manage conformity. Also, this is very handy for me with its quick adjust strap. I can switch it to my back and tighten it down to do manual tasks or quickly loosen it as needed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62232/photo_2021-06-09_10-40-03_jpg-1972560.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/62232/photo_2021-06-09_10-40-04_jpg-1972561.JPG
View Quote

I’m interested in the mags in your rifle. They look like mags I bought ~15 years ago(before I had an AUG)from that place that had several pages every issue of shotgun news. Mine came in dusty as hell but work great!
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Numrich
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn’t click any link, so I’ll cover both question scenarios.

The M1 already has a front QD swivel cup built into the receiver. Thus the FRONT QD retrofit by MI is redundant.

If you’re talking about the rear takedown pin, then MI’s site has a typo. Their QD rear pin will work with all AUG generations.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
@kilroymcb

Attachment Attached File

Mine as she sits now
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm interested in the mags in your rifle. They look like mags I bought ~15 years ago(before I had an AUG)from that place that had several pages every issue of shotgun news. Mine came in dusty as hell but work great!
View Quote
I picked mine up a couple of years ago. Some are milsurps some new. All work great.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a padded Vickers sling using QD on mine. Its my personal preference to keep the sling away from the charging handle so I installed a Gear Head Works Aug FLEx swivel which replaces the takedown pin with one that incorporates a QD socket. I paired this with a Corvus Defensio Anti-Rotation QD sling attachment which replaced the stock cap retainer bolt. The sling sleeve helps keep everything tidy for handling and storage but doesn't hinder deploying the sling when needed.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One of my favourite modern slings is the British Army issue style that was brought into use along with the SA80 bull-pup rifle.

They need a lot of time to put on correctly, but once fitted give a wide range of carry options/styles

View Quote

I came here to post the same thing.
Currently using a surplus SA80 sling and it works great with the AUG. I just have to look up how to put them on whenever I take it off
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For what it's worth the Corvus QD takedown pin is incredibly nice.
View Quote

THIS, and the UPS guy just dropped off another not more than an hour ago, lol

The Corvus QD pin along with the GHW FLEx, and Vicker slings works out great for me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It isn't???  Cuz' I am running one on my A3M1....or M1A3...whatever the hell it is....
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

How well does it work with the factory QD mount position forward on the receiver?
It seems as if the strap would cross directly over the charing handle path thus making things potentially a bit of a mess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top