Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2018 2:33:33 PM EDT
I had a couple early CZ translucent mags crack, sent off for the updated version, and have been using them since. I only leave one mag loaded for this gun, as I'm a little hesitant about the issue cropping up again.

I wouldn't mind transitioning over to the newest black polymer windowed mags, but I remember reading about a few issues with them not locking into place in the gun. Is this still a problem? Is it a problem with random samples, or across a particular generation of Scorpion? Do they work with the CZ factory mag couplers?

I only have 4-5 mags as this isn't my first, second, or even third go-to gun, but I'd like to standardize all my mags for it. I don't want them if they are problematic though.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind transitioning over to the newest black polymer windowed mags, but I remember reading about a few issues with them not locking into place in the gun. Is this still a problem?
View Quote
I've not experienced any problems with my translucent mags, but I just picked one of the windowed mags up last week and- sopresa! sopresa! No lock. Not even rocking, not even hammering.

Prepper told me to suck iiiiiiiiiit so I took it up with CZ, and they sent me a shipping label.

We will see what they send back.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
No issues with the new black windowed mags.  Even added a Taccom splice for PCC competition - 50 on-board

Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I stopped into Riflegear this afternoon and bought one, but not after the guy working there inserted it into their model in the shelf without issue.

Well I got home and it sure as hell DOESNT work in my gun. Mines an early gen model, maybe that has something to do with it.

I guess it’s either file the mag catch tab or return the mag and continue to gamble with the clear ones
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stopped into Riflegear this afternoon and bought one, but not after the guy working there inserted it into their model in the shelf without issue.

Well I got home and it sure as hell DOESNT work in my gun. Mines an early gen model, maybe that has something to do with it.

I guess it's either file the mag catch tab or return the mag and continue to gamble with the clear ones
View Quote
Mine is an early model too... I got the 1st one my dealer sold.

I'll stand by for more reports before I buy.  I'd like to have another 10 or so mags, but I want to make sure they are rock solid before I spend the cash..
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine is an early model too... I got the 1st one my dealer sold.

I'll stand by for more reports before I buy.  I'd like to have another 10 or so mags, but I want to make sure they are rock solid before I spend the cash..
View Quote
I have 2 Scorpions, one is the newer version with wider feed ramp and the other one is much older. Their lower groups are not interchangeable due to a different clamp shell dimension up front.  Both have no issues with the newer black window magazines and I've tried the entire batch of 6.  However, both of these Scorpions have HBi duckbill magazine catch/release, perhaps this is the answer to the perplexing issue of mag failed to lock in?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The new style mags wouldn't lock in my early model Scorpion.  Then I spent about 30 seconds sanding the mag lug on them and they have worked perfectly since.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The new style mags wouldn't lock in my early model Scorpion.  Then I spent about 30 seconds sanding the mag lug on them and they have worked perfectly since.
View Quote
There are pics somewhere showing where the issue is on some mags, I'm sure, but I got a pile of mags at one point that wouldn't seat without a hard slap and wouldn't drop free in one particular Scorpion.

5 minutes with a sharp pocketknife on the mags took care of it just fine.   You could also sand, but all I've ever needed is to chamfer one particular edge.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
@ Merkava
@boltcatch

Would you guys mind showing me exactly where I need to sand on these mags to get them fitting? Just want to be sure we're on the same page here

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

I filed a little at the bottom of the mag lug.  It didn't take much.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I filed a little at the bottom of the mag lug.  It didn't take much.
View Quote
Great picture, thanks!  I have a half-dozen or so new mags sitting at home and I have an earlier Gen1 Scorpion, so we'll see when I get home in December and if I have issues, this will come in handy.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting, that's in a new spot vs. issues with the older mags.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wait where did you file yours?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
2 different problems. The old spot was for people who wanted mags to drop free.

The new spot is because the windowed mags won't lock in to the magwell on some guns.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Where are y'all finding them in stock? I want to pick one up. All I have are the stock 20 rounders
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Where are y'all finding them in stock? I want to pick one up. All I have are the stock 20 rounders
View Quote
I just got some with a Binary Trigger order from Prepper Gun Shop - The have other CZ mags as well.

https://www.preppergunshop.com/magazine-cz-scorpion-cz-magazine-scorpion-9mm-luger-30rd-windowed-blk
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#17]
You guys were right, about 2 minutes with a file and the mag locks right in with about the same effort as the original translucent ones. I'll function test it at the range, and if it works as it should I'll probably transition over to the black mags. I think theyre ugly, but reliability/durability is my first concern.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered 4 of the new mags a while back, one range trip and I sent them all back. Every single one of them failed to feed. All seated properly, fire one round, 2nd fail to feed. Drop mag, insert old mag with same ammo, feeds fine...

I believe the springs are a bit too weak. I suspect they're trying to relieve tension on the feed lips, but... It sorta needs enough tension to feed a round, ya know? The old translucent mags all still work fine in my gun.

The new mags look great. But they don't work, at least not in my gun. I'll wait to see if they fix the issue before trying again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I ordered 4 of the new mags a while back, one range trip and I sent them all back. Every single one of them failed to feed. All seated properly, fire one round, 2nd fail to feed. Drop mag, insert old mag with same ammo, feeds fine...

I believe the springs are a bit too weak. I suspect they're trying to relieve tension on the feed lips, but... It sorta needs enough tension to feed a round, ya know? The old translucent mags all still work fine in my gun.

The new mags look great. But they don't work, at least not in my gun. I'll wait to see if they fix the issue before trying again.
View Quote
Did you try swapping the springs in the new mag with one from the old?

That would have verified if the spring was the problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Double post.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I’ve ordered 4x to try out. The package is still on its way.
After reading the previous posts I’m curious to see if they fit my early European Evo (mfg 2013)...

Are the springs/follower/baseplate the same as the older mags?
Btw all my translucent mags have cracked lips even if they are different mfg date (2012, 2013 and 2015/6).. the lips are still attached and the mags still works but I just don’t trust them.. the only good mag is the 2011 one
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Now I'm curious to see if the new mags actually have different springs, or if the followers were just dragging cause they're new.

Normally I'd doubt CZ would change to a weaker spring but with the issues they've had with some of the translucent mags it's very possible, and if so, I'm out. I've had too many issues with weak springs in mags to want that in a new factory mag.

All my mags are the newer translucent 20s and they've not given me any issues. Still debating whether to try a manticore, new factory 30 or just bump up to the 50 round drum.
I'm also curious to see if PSA's upcoming 9mm AK runs on actual CZ Evo mags. PSA is making their own 35 rounders and they describe them as 'Evo-like' but not sure if they're 100% Evo or not.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 6:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
For what its worth, the spring feels noticeably less stiff when pressing down on the follower compared to the older translucent mags
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Well the “old” spring didn’t feel too strong on the 30 rounders IMHO..

CZ used the same spring length also on the 20 rounders and there I can see a relation with the cracked feedlips..

Anyway I’m surprised it took 6 years to CZ to solve the problem.. can’t believe .mil customers didn’t have the issue before..
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

CZ used the same spring length also on the 20 rounders and there I can see a relation with the cracked feedlips..

Anyway I’m surprised it took 6 years to CZ to solve the problem.. can’t believe .mil customers didn’t have the issue before..
View Quote
I always thought the opposite. The 30 rounders felt stiff, the 20 rounders felt extremely stiff (since they used the same longer spring) making it tough to load the last few rounds on either mag
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
When I got my Evo the first thing I did was cut a few coils off the springs on my 20s when I read they had the same length springs as the 30s.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When I got my Evo the first thing I did was cut a few coils off the springs on my 20s when I read they had the same length springs as the 30s.
View Quote
Yes they are
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think they’re ridiculously stiff. Need a mag loader to avoid sore thumbs. B&T 9mm, Sig MPX, and HK Mp5 mags are super easy to load by comparison.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
I just ordered a Scorpion and was going to order some mags in advance.  Which ones then should I order and from where?  Makes me wonder if I should just wait or continue to order my mags now.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#30]
^^^

I would not risk and just buy the newer ones. Even if cz CS is good over there I would prefer to avoid to waste time in returning them for exchange.

Btw, got my mag a few minutes ago.. once at home I’ll try them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok little update:
The new black mags fits perfectly in my 2013 made Evo.

Base plates are the same, springs are different but interchangeable, new follower is a bit different and fit tight in a 2011 made translucent mag.
Newer mag body is a bit longer.

ETA: I’m using the OEM mag catch

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I messed around with one today a bit in my early model Scorpion.

Fully loaded they won't seat on a closed bolt. With the bolt open I could get it to seat, but it wasn't fully in there. The mag paddle was slightly depressed (Gear Head Works mag paddle, not stock). So I filed a bit based on the recommendations in this thread, and it looks it works fine now. I haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet, but hopefully that works fine.

The mags definitely seem solid.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I have never had any issues with the factory translucent mags that have the USA marked on the baseplate.  The original magazines had cracking and chipping issues.  But the ones with the USA marking on the bottom and the different bolt cutout on the top of the mags have been good to go for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have never had any issues with the factory translucent mags that have the USA marked on the baseplate.  The original magazines had cracking and chipping issues.  But the ones with the USA marking on the bottom and the different bolt cutout on the top of the mags have been good to go for me.
View Quote
Neither have I. Problem is, many have, and its made me question the long term integrity of the translucent mags in general.

I still need to get out and function test the new black one now that I filed it to fit the magwell, we'll see if it performs reliably. If so I'll shift over to the new style altogether
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Funny thing is that I’ve been smashing the cracked ones to see if I could break the lips.. they deform but don’t break

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#36]
UPDATE: I got a package from CZ. Another windowed 30 (I was wondering if they would replace it with a translucent).

Same deal- no lock. Rock it back and forth- not even close. Bang on the baseplate- not even close. Lock the bolt to the rear- no lock. Rock it back and forth- not even close. Bang on the baseplate- not even close.

What an improvement!

I was thinking I've had enough of this, and would shoot the mag up next time I visit the outdoor range.

...then I remembered I had an extra trigger pack with the locked-in FCG. I popped it on and achieved perfect function with the new windowed magazine.

SO I guess to use the new-new magazine you need to also be using the old trigger pack and housing.

Typical CZ.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I forgot to update this. After filing the mag catch area the mag fit fine, and I put about 200 rounds through it without an issue.

Sample size of one. I'll order a couple more to see how they perform.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:14:31 AM EDT
[#38]
so i just bought a FDE evo pistol last month, do i need to worry about the 2 20rd mags that came with it since they are translucent ?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
so i just bought a FDE evo pistol last month, do i need to worry about the 2 20rd mags that came with it since they are translucent ?
View Quote
The general consensus is that MOST of them seem to hold up fine.

But there are enough people with issues that I switched over to the black mags.

Most, not all, of the people who reported issues also left the mags loaded over time. To me, unloaded mags are useless mags, so I wasn't ok with this.

Once I went black, I never....well, yeah..
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have 2 Scorpions, one is the newer version with wider feed ramp and the other one is much older. Their lower groups are not interchangeable due to a different clamp shell dimension up front.  Both have no issues with the newer black window magazines and I've tried the entire batch of 6.  However, both of these Scorpions have HBi duckbill magazine catch/release, perhaps this is the answer to the perplexing issue of mag failed to lock in?
View Quote
I also use the duckbill catch/release and I have no issues with the magazines so I think you may be onto something.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Both my OEM 20 rounders cracked.. and so did the 2 replacements.. I’m still using them because the feedlips are still attached

Oh btw I didn’t leave them loaded.. they cracked with normal use at the range..
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Both my OEM 20 rounders cracked.. and so did the 2 replacements.. I’m still using them because the feedlips are still attached

Oh btw I didn’t leave them loaded.. they cracked with normal use at the range..
View Quote
Yeah sorry but that's unacceptable. I don't buy guns to play around with, I buy serious-use shit that I expect to hold up for what I need it to. Colt, HK, Glock, etc.

I gambled on this CZ because it seemed like a solid choice, but I nearly sold it due to the magazine issues. For now, the black ones seem to have fixed the issue. As of now, I'm still on board, but I'm certainly not trusting the clear ones.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Agree..
I now understand why the translucent ones were so cheap.. as I’ve already said I’m surprised it took so long to CZ to fix the issue.. can’t believe the .mil users didn’t have the same issue before..
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Agree..
I now understand why the translucent ones were so cheap.. as I’ve already said I’m surprised it took so long to CZ to fix the issue.. can’t believe the .mil users didn’t have the same issue before..
View Quote
If they did, how would we hear about it? Most of the users of the Scorpion are small, non-English speaking countries, some of them are even close to third-world if I remember right. I doubt too many operators from the Dominican Republic, Tunisia, or Kenya are logging on to message boards to bitch about the mags of a second-line issued weapon.

My guess is they toss bad mags and/or CZ replaces them without much fanfare.

Who knows. It's disappointing either way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I found a couple more of the new 30rd windowed mags at riflegear and they have a white follower instead of an orange one like before. Have they made yet ANOTHER generation change?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I found a couple more of the new 30rd windowed mags at riflegear and they have a white follower instead of an orange one like before. Have they made yet ANOTHER generation change?
View Quote
I've never seen orange followers in OEM EVO mags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've never seen orange followers in OEM EVO mags.
View Quote
The 30rd windowed factory CZ mags that I bought a couple weeks ago had orange followers, the ones from today have white ones. Theyre also marked 9x19/9x21
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Me to but i have old mags to.  And ive got about 3K through mine.  I leave my mags loaded to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone know if the black/windowed mags are 922r compliant like most of the translucent 30 rounders were?  Unlike the originals, they aren’t listed as being compliant, and compliant parts are required in the carbines and SBRs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The 30rd windowed factory CZ mags that I bought a couple weeks ago had orange followers, the ones from today have white ones. Theyre also marked 9x19/9x21
View Quote
Interesting..
Unfortunately these black mags don’t have the mfg date molded on them so it’s hard to tell when they were made..

Are those orange/white followers different from the one Ive posted earlier?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top