Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2021 12:07:28 PM EDT
I have been wabbit hunting with a Nylon 66 22 lr and a REAPIR on it and would like to just use an AR with a conversion.

The question is should I buy a 22 lr barrel for a dedicated 22lr upper or is a standard AR 556 barrel good enough accuracy to hit small animals out to 50-100 yards.

556 is .224 diameter

22 lr is .223

will 1/1000 inch make that much of a difference plus a much higher twist rate 1/9 or 1/9 instead of 1/16?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean the various conversion kits?  Enough for plinking but that's about it.  A dedicated 22lr upper would not use an AR barrel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Likely not. First the twist rate will be too fast, but if you happen to have something like the Aguila 60gr it might be better than normal. IIRC the 22lr uses a slightly smaller diameter bore as well.

I’d get a dedicated rimfire. If you want to strap a bunch of bells and whistles on the gun, maybe a 15/22 is a good choice. I don’t think they’re liable to be all that accurate to be making good hits at 100yds though. The Ruger Precision Rimfire comes dressed up with a pic rail and mlok handguard, and are pretty dang accurate.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
No so much bore diameter as it is twist rate. When we had the A1 (1-12 twist) we used the .22 conversion kits and they were pretty accurate ( will never be as accurate as a dedicated 22 rifle or purpose built rimfire upper, but possibly good enough for your purposes?)
With the later faster twist barrels (1-9,1-7) accuracy is usually not great. The military for a number of reasons abandoned the 22 conversions after the 1-7 twist rate. A2/A4/M4 became standard.

While you may prefer an AR, for the cost of even the simplest conversion using your existing barrel, you can buy an inexpensive spare .22 rifle ( savage 64’s run about $125) not to mention older used 22’s in the same price range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#4]
50 yds pushing it for a .22 LR in a 5.56 barrel, reasonably decent accuracy at 10-20 yds. Dedicated .22s are super easy to build and have the proper 1:16 twist. The only issue currently is finding .22 barrels in stock anywhere (watch the EE!).
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok that is what I thought.

I have been using a Marlin 66 microgroove and it works well, it just is a bit top heavy with a REAPIR sitting on the top, but it does work just fine.

Thanks, I guess I will just keep doing what I have been doing, and save some money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
50 yds pushing it for a .22 LR in a 5.56 barrel, reasonably decent accuracy at 10-20 yds. Dedicated .22s are super easy to build and have the proper 1:16 twist. The only issue currently is finding .22 barrels in stock anywhere (watch the EE!).
View Quote

yeah, I can't find any
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
when I was shooting Service Rifle, I used to sometimes practice Offhand with a skinny barrel A1 20" and the M261 kit,

1:9 twist IIRC, and I was using a 2" sticker at 25 yrds,

keeping them all in that 2" sticker was easy,

Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

yeah, I can't find any
View Quote

Subscribe to the Rimfire EE forum, they do show up from time to time. Get one with the barrel collar, which you'll need in place of the 5.56 chamber adapter that comes on CMMG type conversion bolt.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot a JP barrel 556 with a 22 conversion kit in steel challenge and similar matches and could hit anything I aimed at. Granted that was usually asking for 4" at 50 yards or closer but that's certainly good enough for anything I was trying to do. This was shit bulk pack ammo, too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I shot a JP barrel 556 with a 22 conversion kit in steel challenge and similar matches and could hit anything I aimed at. Granted that was usually asking for 4" at 50 yards or closer but that's certainly good enough for anything I was trying to do. This was shit bulk pack ammo, too.
View Quote

OP wants to hunt with it... I figure hunting accurate is keeping it on a quarter for squirrel/rabbit and a silver dollar for groundhog/coon size game. Whatever the max distance you can keep a group in that coin is your max effective range to make a hit. IME with HV ammo that’s also about where it runs out of steam anyway.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a CMMG conversion in my M16A1 clone, it has a 1/12 barrel and it shoots pretty well.

In my 1/7 guns accuracy is pretty poor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm using a conversion kit and T 25 yards, my groups were about 3". I was not trying to shoot tight groups, this was more to test function. The two groups were about 20 rounds each. As long as you didn't rest the magazine on the bench, it functioned flawlessly. It might have something to do with the lower (KP-15), so I will need to do more experimentation. I have a spare lower to try next with that upper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I posted a test I conducted using 22 rimfire conversions in AR-15’s compared to my dedicated 22 LR AR-15’s and my Savage Mark II bull barrel bolt action.   I used the same lot of ammo in each firearm and posted pictures of my targets.   I used a 1:9 twist and 1:7 twist AR-15 barrels.   The test is in the archives on this forum but is still available at the link below.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754849
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top