Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2024 7:59:18 AM EDT
I googled and couldn't find any answers so I'm posting here.  Any idea why Hornady dialed back their loadings for AA#9?  First pick is from a 1991 dated Hornady book and the second is from a 2021 Hornady book.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Different lot of powder?
Different lot of Bullets?
Different barrel?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Reloading data is a report of what happened when these components were used in this gun using this test equipment.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^
To the point!

Many reloaders get caught up in "theoretical" numbers.  But, they lack the resources (chronograph) to verify the numbers in their gun using their components.  
And, there are quality inexpensive chronographs out there.  Like the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono DLX.  

Or then many are not comparing apples to apples, but they comparing a 16in bbl to 20in bbl.

Plus you factor in that so many people have UNREALISTIC expectations.  

To which I say work up loads that are reliable, safe, more importantly accurate in your guns!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have found that most listed loads are "guidelines".  Most of my REAL 357 loadings are a full grain above listed max (worked up in .02 increments)
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the answers guys.  I already have my reload for this combo but I found my old  reloading journal from when I first started in 94 and I had done reloads using that old data.  I started reloading again in 2014 and just thought it was interesting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Production of Accurate  No  9 & 5 have been manufactured in many different countries. Burn rates were different.

Hodgdon moved production to St. Marks in Fl.  Do use new Hodgdon data for these powders & others.

The 357 magnum data i looked at for my NEW  2 lbs of no 9, were all over the place. Old data being HOT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top