Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2022 12:05:07 AM EDT
So my dad has two AR rifles that he built from stripped lower receivers. I recently turned 18 and he is willing to sell one to me cheap so that I can turn it into an SBR, but is this legal since they were stripped lowers and the legal age to own one is 21? What would be the best way to go about this, as I don’t want to spend the money on a whole new gun from someone else just to make an sbr.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Legal age to own a stripped receiver is not 21... That's the restriction on buying one from an FFL  Good to go for a private sale or gift.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Under Federal law while it's 21 to acquire a receiver from a FFL they can legally be transferred privately to people under 21. That doesn't really matter anyway since it's currently a rifle that he's transferring to you. Just make sure your state doesn't have any weird laws regarding private transfers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
FTF sales are good to go in MN.

Don't complicate things.
Pay your dad, take the gun.

Nothing more. Nothing less.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Legal age to own a stripped receiver is not 21... That's the restriction on buying one from an FFL  Good to go for a private sale or gift.
View Quote

It depends on the state.

OP, post this in your Hometown Forum.  Laws vary a great deal.

In my state you would be fine, we have no registration and we don't need an FFL for F2F sales.  Your state may be different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top