Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 9:20:34 PM EDT
I'm in the planning stage and I'm considering a 9" modular can that I could run in a long or short configuration.  My initial idea is to machine k baffles for the front half and a monocore for the second half.  Why?  Just because.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Just machine them all, you'll be much happier, trust me. Other than that, completely doable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#3]
No idea.  I just figured I'd play around with it.  If I have to I'll change it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The general census is you'll want radial cones, with a single clip, evenly spaced, for subsonic 9mm. If this is just a shits and grins can then whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The general census is you'll want radial cones, with a single clip, evenly spaced, for subsonic 9mm.
View Quote

Negative. Cones can be fit tighter, yielding a higher quantity. They're guaranteed to outperform a one-off radial build.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Negative. Cones can be fit tighter, yielding a higher quantity. They're guaranteed to outperform a one-off radial build.
View Quote

You got a source handy for that statement?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:You got a source handy for that statement?
View Quote

I don't know, years of building silencers...
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know, years of building silencers...
View Quote

So no numbers just your opinions then?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:So no numbers just your opinions then?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:So no numbers just your opinions then?

With that kind of response, I expect you use a calibrated meter every time you fire a suppressed firearm?
If not, than you're going by ear. The same method 99.9999% of suppressor users employ.
The same info exchanged when someone asks for a suppressor recommendation.

You stated:
The general census is you'll want radial cones

Where'd you get this from? Other's opinions, no? I don't expect any of the form 1 people, you've heard this from, to have a calibrated meter, do they?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

With that kind of response, I expect you use a calibrated meter every time you fire a suppressed firearm?
If not, than you're going by ear. The same method 99.9999% of suppressor users employ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That kind of response? That's pretty rich considering you all but slapped my peepee when I mentioned a lot of people recommend radials for sub 9mm cans. Then you provided zero proof showing normal 50/60 degree cones as being superior after being so confident in your correction.

You stated:

Where'd you get this from? Other's opinions, no? I don't expect any of the form 1 people, you've heard this from, to have a calibrated meter, do they?

Silencerstudent over on the F1 forum has a meter but his videos are behind a Patreon paywall. Radials are still being suggested for 9mm sub cans so I guess his numbers show something worthwhile.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, OP, I guess "best of luck" is the only advice I'm allowed to give...
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is sharing knowledge and wisdom gained over the years; not writing and publishing a dissertation.  You can take the comment with a grain of salt, or use it to help guide you on your build. Your choice, as this is a technical forum; not GD.  I, for one, have heard similar comments in the past from other builders, so I see it as sound advice.  Everyone has different reasons for their builds, and everyone's skill level is different.  Remember, we are here to help each other
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#13]
It's basically the difference between what one group (who mostly buys almost completed mass manufactured components and adds a hole) and someone who builds a bunch of different stuff from scratch by himself.

When you have the tools and experience to make anything you want, your results will usually be different than the "majority" who are buying shit and putting a hole in it.

I could tell you my finding too, but since they differ from yours and you need more empirical evidence than one man's opinion, I keep them to myself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He is sharing knowledge and wisdom gained over the years; not writing and publishing a dissertation.  You can take the comment with a grain of salt, or use it to help guide you on your build. Your choice, as this is a technical forum; not GD.  I, for one, have heard similar comments in the past from other builders, so I see it as sound advice.  Everyone has different reasons for their builds, and everyone's skill level is different.  Remember, we are here to help each other
View Quote

He didn't share anything. He said my comment about the general census was wrong, his way was way better, and provided zero, ZERO, evidence or reasoning why or how his comment is true. Don't tell me I'm wrong, you are right, and have nothing to show for it. That's just bullshit and we all know it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not to add on to this pedantic pissing match, but citing "general consensus" (not "census") is like using wikipedia as a source for a term paper. Why are you so emotionally attached to information you clearly have no personal involvement with?  YOU'RE not wrong, YOU haven't said anything except to parrot "general consensus".  The regulars in this forum know user55645's experience and that his opinion means something.  You citing "general consensus" means squat.
View Quote

Why are you assuming I am emotionally attached? I was told I was wrong, even though I only provided an opinion, and I asked for facts as to why. I got nothing but "I said so." in return. Good stuff, right?

All I'm seeing is flak from the good ol' boys club so I know where I stand in this subforum at least.

To prevent from further derailing OP's topic I will refrain from posting in this thread after this post. Feel free to send a private message if you all have more to say to me specifically. My inbox is empty.

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a bit LOL about the argument between radial cones and 60 deg cones.  Its kinda like arguing the difference between a red apple and a green apple and that one is superior to the other.  I've used simple stepped cones for low pressure 9mm and 300 BLK cans with excellent results.   Clearly there are numerous routes to excellent results for a 9mm pistol can.  Honestly I am more interested in new and innovative ideas rather than simply making the same thing everyone else is building.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
That... Escalated quickly
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top