Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2020 11:09:20 AM EDT
Hi everyone,
I’d like to request some input on setting up a home workshop/workbench. Pictures would be awesome!

I’ve got a small area that I’m going to re do for home smithing projects. I’ve been extremely interested in doing this for some time. Basic tool lists, any information that you think would be helpful and of course....PICTURES PLEASE!

Have a happy healthy and safe new year all!
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Might help to share a pic/dimensions of the space you have and what your goals are.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Buddy built me a 2x8 foot bench with uprights to support the shelves that were there already. I added the lights.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's one I built in my garage.
It's a bit disheveled in this pic, but you can get the idea.
It is 8' wide by 33" deep.
The legs are a polyresin kit from 2x4basics.
I'm quite happy with the results.

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might help to share a pic/dimensions of the space you have and what your goals are.
View Quote
You’re probably right. I’ll do just that over the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Did this on one end of my gun room (still a work in progress, window has bars now...)
Room is 10ft wide for scale. It's solid even with the limited bracing because it's locked in on 3 sides.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate it. Getting some ideas and taking notes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I made this one

Workbench
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I made this one

Workbench
View Quote
Nice. Thanks for the link. Very helpful
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Solid core doors make great workbenches.
I got mine from Lowes, damaged on one side for $10.00
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I fixed my image hosting issue...
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did this on one end of my gun room (still a work in progress, window has bars now...)
View Quote
I'd like to see the bars installed if you don't mind sharing.
I've been thinking of ways to add some myself, using black pipe.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Solid core doors make great workbenches.
I got mine from Lowes, damaged on one side for $10.00
View Quote
Came to post this. And, if space is a problem, you can mount it with hinges to fold it up out of the way when not in use.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd like to see the bars installed if you don't mind sharing.
I've been thinking of ways to add some myself, using black pipe.
View Quote
I used flat bar, will be adding at least one crossbar (you'd have to be a 80lb crackhead to fit through there as it is now...)
Excuse the mess, i was moving junk around.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good, man!
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 11:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 4 benches in my work room, one of them holds my mill and lathe, one is for the grinder and vise, then I have one for reloading and the final one I built is for building guns..

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The shop is really a mess in these images, I use it for guns as well as when I am repairing cars and what ever other project comes up.  Areas that are not insulated in these images have now been insulated and covered and I have added a 220 heating system to the mix so I can work in the winter as well, makes a nice little place to get out of the house when I need quiet to work on a solution to little things that come up once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have 4 benches in my work room...
View Quote
That's a heck of a setup!

Also, I wanna know more about that purple upper.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's a heck of a setup!

Also, I wanna know more about that purple upper.
View Quote
That was my wife's .300 blackout hunting rifle, I picked an upper/lower combination from a guy on EE about 5 years ago and built it for her.  She decided she wasn't going to hunt any longer this last fall, so I kept the purple upper and lower and reconfigured it as a 5.56 and put the blackout barrel on a black gun set up that I built for a friend of mine and he used it to get his deer last fall.

I really don't remember what brand the purple kit is, the only identification on it is the Keyhole forge marks, the color makes it fun for a conversation starter, it is anodized, at first I thought someone had painted it, but it is anodized.  I looked around and a few years ago, there were a couple of companies selling them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
^
Cool, man.
Too bad she's not into it any longer.
My wife is hot and cold with shooting, too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's mine. Built it about 2 years ago. 6' wide, 2' deep, and 43 inches tall. Added a frame for a light and wired up a switch plus an extra outlet on the top. Legs are 4x4's. Super solid. Built and rebuilt plenty of guns on it. Also doubles as a desk when I need it to.

Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's my work in progress. The top is two layers of MDF with 1/4" hardboard on top. The bench is anchored to a concrete wall.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Sweet. I never thought about mounting those receivers vertically.  I will have to add to my project list...............
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Very cool set ups fellas. Been down with the flu or something, so no progress this week.

Please keep the info and especially the pictures coming!

Thank you all!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]

The Milwaukee tool benches are awesome work stations. I have six of them. Four of them are put together in the center of the room to give me a 10’ x 4’ wide work area. I added the Wilton vise after the first picture was taken. I then put more of those rubber pads over the wood to keep things from getting scuffed up. The Dillon 650 was installed to the existing butcher block bench I had prior to the Milwaukee work benches. The work benches give you a significant amount of drawer space. I still have drawers with nothing in them.

I took the wheels off of the benches to make them more stable. This height was fine for me since I usually sit in an office chair.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Wow! I really like the angled, wall mounted tool blocks ! I’m going to have to copy those!

And the vise mount as well.  I have a vise that is slated for my welding table, I was going to mount it to a heavy plate that could be clamped in place when needed, but you have presented a much more elegant solution!

ETA: My shop is a train wreck, I retired January 31 and have been trying to reorganize and get rid of junk that has accumulated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

OP, I built my benches at a height that is a couple inches below my elbows when standing, makes it great for working standing without bending, then find compatible stools for when you need to sit.

I find I’m mostly on my feet in the shop.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

OP, I built my benches at a height that is a couple inches below my elbows when standing, makes it great for working standing without bending, then find compatible stools for when you need to sit.

I find I’m mostly on my feet in the shop.
View Quote
Incredibly critical point, work bench height. The above has it right - a couple of inches below the elbow is perfect. You will be amazed how much easier it is to stand at a correct height bench vs even slightly bending over for any period of time.
This is where 90% of the box stores "work benches" are a total failure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sweet. I never thought about mounting those receivers vertically.  I will have to add to my project list...............
View Quote
I like that idea for mounting a vice as well.  It gets the vice away from the table top, and allows the vice to be moved/removed.  Any idea where to find such a receiver tube to mount vertically, and which allows the the inner tube to be tightened as in dairy farmers' photo above?
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I like that idea for mounting a vice as well.  It gets the vice away from the table top, and allows the vice to be moved/removed.  Any idea where to find such a receiver tube to mount vertically, and which allows the the inner tube to be tightened as in dairy farmers' photo above?
View Quote
Something along this line would work for a vertical receiver, they are designed to bolt to the bottom of the rear step bumpers, several different ones on the market.

Bolt on bumper receiver

Harbor Freight carries one as well

Step bumper receiver

And they have a 3500 pound as well.

3500 pound bumper receiver
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#29]
No matter how big you build it, you will outgrow it. And good luck keeping it clean.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you DaveP1.

I found this as well https://www.wiltontools.com/us/en/view-series/atv-all-terrain-vise-accessories/ATVAccessories , but don't see a way to tighten the 2" mount within the receiver to prevent the vice from wiggling.

Edited to say there are hitch tighteners available to prevent movement of the 2" shaft within the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thank you DaveP1.

I found this as well https://www.wiltontools.com/us/en/view-series/atv-all-terrain-vise-accessories/ATVAccessories , but don't see a way to tighten the 2" mount within the receiver to prevent the vice from wiggling.

Edited to say there are hitch tighteners available to prevent movement of the 2" shaft within the receiver.
View Quote
We used to make our own tighteners to keep items from wiggling in the mount, out of 1.75 ubolts and cut offs from 2" c channel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top