Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2018 4:31:28 PM EDT
Already have a Steiner I2 single spectrum unit but would like to acquire a new, more capable unit soon. Should I buy this Holosun offering or just continue to save for a MAWL? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on application, but if saving for a MAWL is a realistic option, do that.

Your current laser should hold you over until then.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that's the sixty four dollar question.  I am waiting myself to see what guys are saying about these things.  Right now you would be a beta tester.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Holosun won’t be competitive with a MAWL.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 321R (same unit except for red visible laser instead of green) and full disclosure I haven't had a chance to zero it yet so I can't really speak to how well it holds zero. I also haven't really had the opportunity to take it out somewhere with a very long line of sight to see how well it points/illuminates at long range so take this with a grain of salt. While it isn't close to a full power MAWL or peq it can be had for ~$500 and for that price point it's pretty capable with the coaxial laser/illuminator. Sorry for the potato quality pics but good luck finding any more online
Out of the box:

High laser outside

Laser/lum outside

Laser/tight lum in my basement

Laser/wide lum

As soon as I can get some rounds through it I'll prob do a better write up
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched some youtube videos comparing the two before I bought my DBAL 9007 and settled on the 9007 because of the cleaner illuminator and lower bloom of the pointer.  The Holosun goes for $800, which doesn't really make that much of a saving compared to a $1060-$1100 A3 which is just going to be better in every regard.  Personally, I'm looking at an A3 just so I can get more practice shooting off the laser in daylight conditions, and I wouldn't go for the Holosun even if I could make an even trade for one with my 9007.

The MAWL is in its own category of performance, nothing comes close when you watch videos of its output.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pictures and info "themollusk"! I am pleased with my Dbal 9007 except for it eats batteries even when the switch is turned to 'off'. I am in no rush to pick up another IR unit but just want to collect some opinions on the two units listed above. I know that the MAWL blows any other civilian unit out of the water but I'd like to know if it is worth $1700 more than the Holosun. But like I said, I can continue saving my pennies for another year and hopefully then find a MAWL in the $2200-$2300 range.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a fan of holosun; I use their RDS because I wanted a EOTech reticle without buying a EOTech.  Not only price but issues they were having.  I am interested in their LAMs as a way of getting an upgrade from an OTAL at a lower price point.  Although I like their kit, you get what you pay for.  The quality is not up there with the big boys; but then neither is the price tag.  But it's still a lot of bucks if you're not really happy.

They make decent entry-level kit; it allows guys who otherwise couldn't afford it to get into the game.  Or cheapskates such as myself to buy more stuff.  Judging from the pics I've seen., including these, it appears to have lots of bloom, probably double the OTAL on the pointer.  If you already have a decent unit, I'd think you'd be disappointed in it.  Probably be better off buying a OTAL for a budget back up instead.

I have been waiting to see if the quality improves as they build more.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top