Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 5:00:02 PM EDT
Is there anyway to mount one of these to a helmet? They look to be about the same size as a 14.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
They are a little larger and heavier than a PVS 14. I also wouldn’t recommend the clip on because it has a 3X base magnification. The actual Hogster 25 typically makes a better scanner because it has a wider field of view and 1.4x base mag. I have McGyvered it to a helmet but was not fond of the overall result. The connection is a picatinny mount.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are a little larger and heavier than a PVS 14. I also wouldn’t recommend the clip on because it has a 3X base magnification. The actual Hogster 25 typically makes a better scanner because it has a wider field of view and 1.4x base mag. I have McGyvered it to a helmet but was not fond of the overall result. The connection is a picatinny mount.
View Quote

Are you saying the clip on wouldn't even be good for a scope?

Seems like the way to go since you can put it on any rifle without having to sight it in
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted: Are you saying the clip on wouldn't even be good for a scope?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted: Are you saying the clip on wouldn't even be good for a scope?
It works very well as a scope. Your question was using it on a helmet. A 3x power, helmet mounted, scanner that you have to thread on an eyepiece would not be ideal for a helmet.  

[b]Quoted:Seems like the way to go since you can put it on any rifle without having to sight it in
This is actually not true. With the Hogster C, you can have 4 different scope profiles. You can't just stick this on the end of any day scope, and it just works. There are actually two mounting options. You can go with a picatinny mount or a direct mount on the end of the optic. If you go with the direct mount, you will need an adapter on each day scope, and on top of this with either mounting method, you will have 4 different zero profiles. You zero it with a day optic. You are able to adjust the Hogster - C screen as a unique zero for each day scope, and this is required.

Night Goggles sells more than 100 to 1, stand alone Hogsters vs clip ons. It isn't that the clip on isn't good. However, you get a lot more versatility with a stand alone scope, plus the equivalent stand alone scope is at least 1K less expensive, and you are adding a lot of weight with a day scope and thermal clip on. This is not unique to Bering as Pulsar and many other clip ons work the same way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the hogster clip on has a base magnification of zero?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought the hogster clip on has a base magnification of zero?
View Quote
The 3x is when used as a scanner. You thread an eyepiece provided by Bering and the result is a monocular with 3x base mag.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The Late Night Vision Show did an episode on these - extremely NOT a good value compared to stand alone. Max useful magnification is about 4x-5x. And anything above the base mag of the scope, you start tunneling in on the screen, losing FOV.  You could buy a Hogster 25 and a whole 'nother rifle to put it on, for the coast of the "C". Niche product for the guy that has one high dollar rifle, with 1 high dollar optic he doesn't want to mess with, shoots infrequently, and has a ton of cash to spend. That 100:1 sales figure above, is exactly what they said too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Late Night Vision Show did an episode on these - extremely NOT a good value compared to stand alone. Max useful magnification is about 4x-5x. And anything above the base mag of the scope, you start tunneling in on the screen, losing FOV.  You could buy a Hogster 25 and a whole 'nother rifle to put it on, for the coast of the "C". Niche product for the guy that has one high dollar rifle, with 1 high dollar optic he doesn't want to mess with, shoots infrequently, and has a ton of cash to spend. That 100:1 sales figure above, is exactly what they said too.
View Quote

Why would he need to shoot infrequently to fit the type, or have lots of cash? Let's say i have one general purpose rifle and I don't want a dedicated night rig, nor the cost of multiple rifles, but I shoot all the time. Wouldn't that be someone that actually wants to save money and shoots a lot still?

Try not to get caught up too much with what the personalities of the day tell you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why would he need to shoot infrequently to fit the type, or have lots of cash? Let's say i have one general purpose rifle and I don't want a dedicated night rig, nor the cost of multiple rifles, but I shoot all the time. Wouldn't that be someone that actually wants to save money and shoots a lot still?

Try not to get caught up too much with what the personalities of the day tell you.
View Quote

"Personalities of the day"...LOL, yea, that's me SME's who will sell you anything, telling people to give them less money, for more capability - usually deserve some attention. How are you saving money? Using one site, the "C" is $3600, the Hogster 25mm (IIRC 1.4x with full FOV) is $2300 - what can you do with an extra $1300? An ADM Mount on the day optic is ~$225. The fact that two dealers now, have quoted a 100:1 sales figure, proves it's niche - the market dictates. That doesn't mean it's not perfect for some. And to be fair, in my example, Pulsar was the comparison company, it was before any Hogsters were out - the Bering Optics pricing is closer, so not *as bad* - but it's still $1300. Just carry around a 7" full size, vs a 4.5" C, and be richer to the tune of $520 per inch
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It works very well as a scope. Your question was using it on a helmet. A 3x power, helmet mounted, scanner that you have to thread on an eyepiece would not be ideal for a helmet.  

This is actually not true. With the Hogster C, you can have 4 different scope profiles. You can't just stick this on the end of any day scope, and it just works. There are actually two mounting options. You can go with a picatinny mount or a direct mount on the end of the optic. If you go with the direct mount, you will need an adapter on each day scope, and on top of this with either mounting method, you will have 4 different zero profiles. You zero it with a day optic. You are able to adjust the Hogster - C screen as a unique zero for each day scope, and this is required.

Night Goggles sells more than 100 to 1, stand alone Hogsters vs clip ons. It isn't that the clip on isn't good. However, you get a lot more versatility with a stand alone scope, plus the equivalent stand alone scope is at least 1K less expensive, and you are adding a lot of weight with a day scope and thermal clip on. This is not unique to Bering as Pulsar and many other clip ons work the same way.
View Quote

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top