Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2020 11:10:12 PM EDT
A company in Texas offers a tuned-up Ruger RPR for $999. Anyone have experience with HCR?

From the site:
"The Ruger RPR is a blast to shoot. We take these rifles and give them a serious Hill Country Rifle tune up! The result is an extremely accurate rimfire rifle with excellent features and a totally unique appearance. We shoot the 22’s at 300 yards and beyond with great results. You will become a master of wind calling and trigger control shooting 100’s of rounds through these rifles. Even the sub-sonic Lapua .22 LR Center X ammo we shoot is only 30 cents a round. Shooting this ammo at 300 yards requires the same scope adjustment for drop and wind drift as a 308 does at 1000 yards with match ammunition. You will pay for the rifle with the money you save on ammo!
Hill Country RPR Rimfire Rifles are available in 22 LR, 22 Mag and 17 HMR
All HCR Certified RPR Rifles are guaranteed to shoot 3-shot, sub-inch groups at 100 yards with recommended factory ammo!
The HCR RPR package includes:
*Recrown barrel to improve accuracy
*Stone and tune factory trigger
*Debur all metal edges for comfortable handling
*Smooth bolt travel for better cycling
*Replace bolt knob with PTG tactical knob for superior feel and looks
*Stock is fully adjustable for length of pull and cheek rest height so great for kids and adults
*Add bipod rail to forearm
*2 10 round magazines with 22 LR, single 10 or 15 round mag with HMR and WMR (additional 10 and 15 round mags also available)"

https://www.hillcountryrifles.com/product/hcr-accurized-rpr-in-fde-and-black/

Link Posted: 1/1/2020 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Or just buy a Bergara B14R.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there anything on that list that would "accurize" the rifle other than (maybe) cleaning up the crown?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
They did some work on a 22-250 about 20years ago when I lived in New Braunfels and I can say it was worth it. If I wanted an accurate.22 I would look up the road at KIDD precision rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there anything on that list that would "accurize" the rifle other than (maybe) cleaning up the crown?
View Quote
Nope.

You're paying an extra $650ish bucks for cosmetics.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the gun still suffer from scraping the bullet as it’s chambered.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One of the attractions of this gun, at least to me, is that it uses the bucket of BX mags I already own.

Quoted:
They did some work on a 22-250 about 20years ago when I lived in New Braunfels and I can say it was worth it. If I wanted an accurate.22 I would look up the road at KIDD precision rifle.
I have several Kidd builds. They're great. Variety is the spice of life.

Quoted:

Nope.  You're paying an extra $650ish bucks for cosmetics.  
Happy to disagree.  You're paying for a guarantee of accuracy.  That alone might be worth it for some.  If I multiplied my hourly wage times the number of hours I have spend trying to get several of my guns to shoot their best, I'd own several 4-digit Ruger rimfire rifles.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
HCR is legit but pricey.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Happy to disagree.  You're paying for a guarantee of accuracy.  That alone might be worth it for some.  If I multiplied my hourly wage times the number of hours I have spend trying to get several of my guns to shoot their best, I'd own several 4-digit Ruger rimfire rifles.
View Quote
It's just a Ruger Rimfire Precision!  The ONLY thing they did that will have ANY effect on the accuracy of the gun is re-crown the barrel and some trigger work.

The HCR RPR package includes:
*Recrown barrel to improve accuracy  MIGHT EFFECT ACCURACY
*Stone and tune factory trigger  MIGHT EFFECT ACCURACY
*Debur all metal edges for comfortable handling   COSMETIC
*Smooth bolt travel for better cycling  COSMETIC
*Replace bolt knob with PTG tactical knob for superior feel and looks   COSMETIC
*Stock is fully adjustable for length of pull and cheek rest height so great for kids and adults  ALREADY COMES ON THE RIFLE FROM RUGER
*Add bipod rail to forearm  COSMETIC
*2 10 round magazines with 22 LR, single 10 or 15 round mag with HMR and WMR (additional 10 and 15 round mags also available)"  GO BUY A FEW MAGAZINES

I would need to see a "before" target and an "after" target.  The Ruger RPR I owned was woefully short of being "accurate".
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:The ONLY thing they did that will have ANY effect on the accuracy of the gun is re-crown the barrel and some trigger work. {snip} The Ruger RPR I owned was woefully short of being "accurate".  
View Quote
Take another look at your own pudding.  You'll find the proof.

Your RPR sucked.  Lots of RPRs on the open market suck.  HCR's RPRs are guaranteed not to suck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Under a inch at a 100 with a 5 shot group would be easier to stomach than a 3 shot.

It makes a huge difference most of the time in what I see.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Under a inch at a 100 with a 5 shot group would be easier to stomach than a 3 shot.

It makes a huge difference most of the time in what I see.
View Quote
I'm with you 100%.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I like a solid polished up stock firearm that a gunsmith has done some work for accuracy and fitment.  But this does not appear to be much more than a polish job.  HCR has a solid reputation in the industry.  I do not own one of their rifles (I prefer my baby-Barrett) but they are well respected.  Its things like this that otherwise dilute their solid reputation.  Doubling the price of a budget rimfire target rifle with a couple of bolt-ons and some paint really doesn't enhance their already solid reputation.  This is a trend in the industry but one that I think that reputable gunsmiths should avoid.

As for the RPR.  I have one.  Its good out of the box with Norma Match ammo.  Bolt is smooth.  Doesnt need a large knob and you dont need a rail on the bottom as Magpul makes a MLOK bipod that is lighter and better fitting.  I have one and it works well.  Trigger is good also.  Real good.  I dont even have a precision scope on it (1-6x) with large MOA dot and it groups awesome.  No need to drop another $500 on it without even putting a scope on it.

Now if HCR decided to redesign the trigger for a two stage or machine parts to help the plastic stock be less flexy.  Put together a barrel package that is more in line with a match barrel other than stock, or maybe even a little better mag release that would be awesome.  Would be gunsmithed parts of their own making that are unique and produce a better more accurate rifle.  If they put that together....email me.  I am in.

LD
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
They are right around the corner from where I live. I've only known one guy who bought from them and it was very very pricey but he felt it was worth every dollar of the ~$6000 he spent. All that said, I've not dealt with them, but have heard very good things about their accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 3 of their rifles. Two being custom 300RUM that will shoot under 1/2 inch all day long and a custom long range 6.5-284 that will touch all 3 with several different factory rounds. They live by their word!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#15]
South of New Braunfels is considered the Hill country? Around here 300 yards doesn't happen much. More like 100 yard shots max.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 4 or 5 friends that have between one and a lot of HCR rifles each.  All these guys swear by all of their rifles.
*pricey, but these guys dont care.

granted, one day I had one of my rifles I'd "worked on" myself and shot side by side with a HCR rifle and grouped better, but still.  (chassis, trigger, etc)

if you want turn key and willing to pay for it, probably up your alley.
if you want/willing to tinker a little, probably not worth the initial outlay of funds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top