Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2019 2:16:58 AM EDT
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/01/man-says-ces-lidars-laser-was-so-powerful-it-wrecked-his-1998-camera/?fbclid=IwAR2vIXYoKUY_ViXjfT60N_m05Zd07GcIhQJtoOfKumexKyFvCFJB8qp0Zg4

While laser light shows operate in the visible spectrumviewers wouldn't be able to see them otherwiselidar units tend to operate outside the visible spectrum. Lidar designed for automotive applications tends to use one of two frequency ranges.

Some lidar companies use lasers with a wavelength of 905nm (or 850nm in Ouster's case). These wavelengths are attractive to companies because sensors can be made using conventional silicon-based fabrication techniques. The downside, however, is that it's relatively easy for lasers at these wavelengths to damage the human retina. So safety requires strict limits on laser power.

Other lidar makers use lasers with a wavelength of 1550nm. This tends to be more expensive because sensors have to be made out of exotic materials like indium-gallium arsenide rather than silicon. But it also has a big advantage: the fluid in the human eye is opaque to 1550nm light, so the light can't reach the retina at the back of the eye. This means lasers can operate at much higher power levels without posing an eye safety risk.

AEye uses 1550nm lasers. And unfortunately for Chowdhury, cameras are not filled with fluid like human eyes are. That means that high-power 1550nm lasers can easily cause damage to camera sensors even if they don't pose a threat to human eyes.
View Quote
A man attending this week's CES show in Las Vegas says that a lidar sensor from startup AEye has permanently damaged the sensor on his $1,998 Sony camera. Earlier this week, Jit Ray Chowdhury, an autonomous vehicle engineer at the startup Ridecell, snapped photos of a car at CES with AEye's lidar units on top. He discovered that every subsequent picture he took was marred by two bright purple spots, with horizontal and vertical lines emanating from them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
And tubes, many many tubes have fallen prey to lasers as well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And tubes, many many tubes have fallen prey to lasers as well.
View Quote
We have a lot of discussions in here about LASERs and what they can do. I was more posting that for the frequencies they are disclosing than FYI'ing anybody to the phenomena.

We have gone round and round here talking about the LIF, for instance. Arf does not want us discussing specifics. And lately, OOB I2sensitivities. (shrugs)
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
All these active laser scanning systems give me a very bad juju feeling as far as both short and long term human effects as well as technological.

As far as technology, what happens when one of these vehicles encounters another vehicle with camera-based automation, and fries the camera on that vehicle? How will the camera-based automation respond to the scanning lasers, even without camera damage?

How many dashcams will they damage?

How many security cameras on building exteriors?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
HI! I'M VIRTUAL REALITY BILLY MAYS HERE FOR LAZAR-BLOCK!

ARE YOU TIRED OF YOUR CHEAP NEIGHBORS AIR CAR CONTINUALLY BLASTING YOUR HI DEF DIGITAL CAR SYSTEMS?

YOU NEED LAZAR-BLOCK!
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
YOU NEED LAZAR-BLOCK!
View Quote
All kidding aside, laser protection filters which are now the domain of particular scientific and industrial users as well as some military applications might become a lot more mainstream.

I've contemplated the need for a laser filter that cuts the common red and green lasers, might need to add the IR wavelengths into the stack.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder when we'll see traffic camera defeating systems using 1500+ lidar systems. Viva LA revolution!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top