Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2023 8:06:28 PM EDT
Hey FNC owners, I have a dozen 80's FN made FNC 30rd Mags and like the FNC, the Mags are "tanks" and just go on and go on, just like my 1982 (bought in 1983) FNC Battle Rifle (17.7 inch barrel, not the carbine).

Well the followers are getting "tired", as you know FNC's are very hard on Mag followers, so I am asking if anyone has found steel M16/AR15 follower replacements that aren't an Arm and a Leg Brandon Era price? I'd like M16/AR15 followers, so I can also use them in any of my collection of M16's, M4's and AR-15's and will activate the Bolt Catch. (FNC's don't have a M/AR type Bolt Catch, so FNC mags don't have that "lip" at the back of the follower).

Alternatively, has any of you FNC owners found a M/AR Polymer(or similar material) Follower that you've used that will hold up to extended use in the FNC and fits the FN made Mags?

I do a LOT of Long Range Match shooting with my FNC, so the Followers HAVE TO BE Reliable and Long Term Robust.

Appreciate your feedback!

I'd upload a couple photo's of my FN Baby, but just noticed this Forum doesn't host pic uploads. Doesn't everone else (forums) do that by now???
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Post pics of FNC's!

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#2]
@ContraHQ
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I ended up selling my FNC.

Has the OP tried working with CETME L mags, they have a steel follower (but like the FNC they will not engage the BHO in the AR platform).

Might be worth an experiment to replace your worn out followers with the CETME L followers (assuming they fit).

https://www.apexgunparts.com/cetme-l-30rd-magazine-steel-5-56mm-very-good.html
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never had issue with any USGI mag in the FNC.  Steel mags are too heavy for me.

I generally don't use plastic mags in anything I own though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ContraHQ:

Has the OP tried working with CETME L mags, they have a steel follower (but like the FNC they will not engage the BHO in the AR platform).

Might be worth an experiment to replace your worn out followers with the CETME L followers (assuming they fit).

View Quote

The CETME L mags were legendarily bad though
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have not had an issue with any quality mag in my FNC. I was given some of those e-lander steel mags and have relegated them to the FNC as they feel like the original FN mag. You are only asking about followers. I assume since you are in CA and can’t buy mags. Just try some Magpul followers and see how they do. CMMG used to make stainless followers. Maybe there are still some out there somewhere.
Good luck and post some pics.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By vellnueve:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ContraHQ:  I ended up selling my FNC.

Given MarColMar cocked the magwell a few degrees when making their receivers (visible in their flat pics), it's not entirely clear if the Spanish mags were inherently bad or if they were saddled w/ a magwell that was badly engineered.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Given MarColMar cocked the magwell a few degrees when making their receivers (visible in their flat pics), it's not entirely clear if the Spanish mags were inherently bad or if they were saddled w/ a magwell that was badly engineered.
View Quote

No I mean the Spanish military had plenty of mag problems as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Again, it's not clear if the problem was the magazines themselves or the magwell.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ContraHQ:

I am aware the CETME L mags have a bad reputation.

OP was asking about steel followers. I mentioned the CETME mags had steel followers, but am not sure if they would fit.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top