Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
I am in the market for a 30-30 lever action. I really like the reviews I get from friends and family, as well as the internet, about Henry Repeating Arms. However, I think I am getting wrapped up in marketing. Nonetheless, I wanted opinions on the newer "All Weather", versus the standard model. What do I really sacrifice, durability wise, by not purchasing the "All Weather" model?

In Henry owners opinions -- How does the standard model hold up to the elements?

P.S. I clean my firearms after every hunt or range trip, no exceptions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 7 Henry's here, 5 are my sons, I bought him a new one every now and then and had the date engraved on the butt plate.
Birthdays, Christmas, HS graduation etc. all came with a new Henry.
The .22 he kept in his truck for the last year of HS or so, in the back seat, under the seat when he went to school.
That thing is still in great shape, I was very impressed at how well the finish stood up. The 22 mag, 17, 30-30 etc are in nice shape but they didnt
get the abuse the .22 got. They are much more rugged then they look. Over all they are great guns. I was always a Winchester Lever guy but
I love these Henry's, dont have a All Weather.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My buddy has the 30-30 steel and it is a nice gun.  I have thought about buying the all weather version but for about the same money can get a JM 336SS and have a side loading gate instead.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 7 Henry's here, 5 are my sons, I bought him a new one every now and then and had the date engraved on the butt plate.
Birthdays, Christmas, HS graduation etc. all came with a new Henry.
The .22 he kept in his truck for the last year of HS or so, in the back seat, under the seat when he went to school.
That thing is still in great shape, I was very impressed at how well the finish stood up. The 22 mag, 17, 30-30 etc are in nice shape but they didnt
get the abuse the .22 got. They are much more rugged then they look. Over all they are great guns. I was always a Winchester Lever guy but
I love these Henry's, dont have a All Weather.
View Quote
Thanks. This is what I suspected. I doubted the Henry would have the reputation they would if their rifles didnt stick around a while. I like the thought of owning the All Weather, but I prefer the look of the classic. Until I hear otherwise, I think I will go this route. A good cleaning after any weather should do the trick, right?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
A have an older Marlin 336 and it will rust if I look at it wrong.  

Since I hunt with it every year, I just make sure to oil it up every time it is in the field.  Not a big deal.  An all weather model would be nice though.
Top Top