Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2019 5:23:17 PM EDT
If you're not aware, they're one of the biggest ranges in the world, and do lots of conversions with guns that see insane round counts. I'm going to ask in what manner they fail. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
Originally Posted By olds442tyguy:
@HendersonDefense, how are your ACR's holding up?
View Quote
The gas blocks have all failed on our ACR's.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Cracks from thermal cycling.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always heard the gas blocks crack where they lightened it. Might not be a good idea to nitride such a thin profile.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like a definitive area for improvement if a ACR 2.0 ever materializes.

I wonder if Marvin Pitts' system is more robust.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Noctis:

View Quote
My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I dug into it and apparently he won't sell his gas blocks on their own. Paging Dana....
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
They crack on the legs.  I’ve had it happen before with a few builds but they all don’t crack.  It’s rare but does happen.

This is also why my gas block legs are double the size of the factory ones.  I opted out of 300blk factory gas blocks to go with the new drop in style.

Also Marvin won’t sell his system outside of his builds.  I tried to do a joint project and never heard back either so I developed my own parts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bigdog200399:
They crack on the legs.  I’ve had it happen before with a few builds but they all don’t crack.  It’s rare but does happen.

This is also why my gas block legs are double the size of the factory ones.  I opted out of 300blk factory gas blocks to go with the new drop in style.

Also Marvin won’t sell his system outside of his builds.  I tried to do a joint project and never heard back either so I developed my own parts.
View Quote
I didn't know you offered a replacement gas block.

Sold!
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Noctis:

View Quote
I know he won't sell it, but is it better?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
How can we get one of yours?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine come on the new 300blk builds I do.  I’m doing a new lightweight version next followed by a new factory style after that.   Both of these options are actually lighter than stock.

Mine will probably will only work with new barrels.  The factory barrels use taper pins that I’m trying to get away from.   They are too finicky with mounting gas blocks on and they generally always spin the block.

They will have a slight adjustment set screw for fine tuning.   I’d like to do a gas block that uses a factory regulator down the road
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine come on the new 300blk builds I do.  I’m doing a new lightweight version next followed by a new factory style after that.   Both of these options are actually lighter than stock.

Mine will probably will only work with new barrels.  The factory barrels use taper pins that I’m trying to get away from.   They are too finicky with mounting gas blocks on and they generally always spin the block.

They will have a slight adjustment set screw for fine tuning.   I’d like to do a gas block that uses a factory regulator down the road

View Quote

Did you ever end up making all versions?
Do you have any pics of them finished and installed?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I did finish this batch of gas blocks up.  I'll dig some pics up.  When photobucket changed their account settings I lost most of my image hosting.  Flickr requires me to post from my PC which I finally just got back running after I moved.  I didn't have high speed internet at my new house so uploads sucked bad to do.

Remington changed their 300blk gas blocks to be solid at the legs so they are a lot stronger.

Mine are getting a new revision since I was using modified Acr parts to complete it.  Now that they aren't being made up anymore I am going to optimize the design to be a lot more efficient to build up.

I have a few plans for new better/lighter gas blocks in the very near future
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Are the 300blk gas blocks still adjustable?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
No.  The adjustment I put on mine was for fine tuning.  It’s not needed unless you really want to dial it in for a specific round or setup.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Speaking of gas blocks and barrels, any 10.5" or 12.5" 5.56 complete barrel assemblies available at this time? with your gas block? Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top