Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2024 8:50:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seargeantjim]
Hello all, looking for your help on something. There is a sbr on gunbroker currently I would like to purchase, but make it into a rifle by adding the 16" barrel. All the barrels do is screw in and out so easy swap. I'd leave it as is, but an sbr is a no-go here in NY. Am I correct in thinking that all that is needed is the current owner just decertifies it, doesn't include the barrel, and now my ffl accepts it in their books as a rifle?

Something tells me this is gonna get complicated

Edit:
Receiver was purchased originally by itself, then the parts were added creating the SBR. This did not start out as anything but a bare receiver.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By seargeantjim:
Hello all, looking for your help on something. There is a sbr on gunbroker currently I would like to purchase, but make it into a rifle by adding the 16" barrel. All the barrels do is screw in and out so easy swap. I'd leave it as is, but an sbr is a no-go here in NY. Am I correct in thinking that all that is needed is the current owner just decertifies it, doesn't include the barrel, and now my ffl accepts it in their books as a rifle?

Something tells me this is gonna get complicated

Edit:
Receiver was purchased originally by itself, then the parts were added creating the SBR. This did not start out as anything but a bare receiver.
View Quote

if it is not in an SBR configuration its not an SBR.....regardless if its on the registry or not
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jmo371:

if it is not in an SBR configuration its not an SBR.....regardless if its on the registry or not
View Quote
This, however if it has no barrel at all attached then the FFL should transfer it in as an "other firearm".  Without a barrel, it can't satisfy the definition of a rifle, much like a stocked AR lower without an upper is classified the same.

Still gets it out of NFA regulation, but don't know if "others" have issues in NY vs. a "rifle".
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jmo371:

View Quote

Correct.  This only really comes into play next time somebody goes to SBR it.  If the ATF examiner sees the same gun is already a registered SBR, it can throw a wrench into the process.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
In NY you also have to make sure if it's a semi auto with a detachable magazine that it doesn't have any of those "evil" features
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top