Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2018 4:32:31 PM EDT
I got a set of Comtac II's off ebay and the auction listed them as not working and unable to turn on.  I took the gamble as I got them at a reasonable price.  
I got them and removed some corrosion on one of the battery contacts and they still would not turn on.  so I took the boards out of the ear cups looing for any obvious corrosion or damaged parts.
The only thing I found was one of the yellow wires looked flat and crimped from being pinched between the circuit board and the ear cup.  I moved it out of the way and put it all back together and they turned on!
they weren't super loud but worked and turned on now.  I went to test the comm functionality and the speakers are all garbled and sound like crap.  Like they are blown.  Not too much pf a problem ill just pay to have them fixed.

I called SRS tactical in FL and they said they don't fix Peltors cause they cant get the parts for them.  but they gave me the number for the Peltor repair facility in IN.
I called them up annnnnd they don't fix the Comtac II's anymore.  Sweden wont sent them the parts either.

So where do I go from here?  does anyone know of a commonly available replacement for the speakers? or what the yellow wire in the ear cup goes to?

Thanks

Update:
After a month of waiting to hear back from Atlantic signal, they agreed to sell/send me 2 replacement speakers.
They are just listed as ACH replacement speakers. So unknown if they had some ComTac II speakers or ComTac III speakers.
Either way the are on the way and I’ll report back if they work.
I feel this is relavent to anyone who has ComTacII’s and they break. We pretty much have no one who can fix them now.

Update 2:
Got the speakers in. I don’t know if they are specifically Comtac II or III speakers, but they soldered on just fine and work perfectly! $7.50 for each one.
I kind of have half a mind to order a couple extra just to keep as spares just in case.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You actually bought broken non-functioning ear pro? I hope you paid no more than $10
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Idk why you bothered to buy a non working pair.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
For the price I paid $30, I figured it was worth the gamble. Even if I had to send they off to get repaired. Not knowing peltor themselves won’t touch Comtac II’s. Which kinda bums me out on my original pair of II’s I’ve had since 07. If they go tits up now I know no one will touch them.

The solid state electronics look ok. It’s either the speakers or that strange yellow wire.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the price I paid $30, I figured it was worth the gamble. Even if I had to send they off to get repaired. Not knowing peltor themselves won't touch Comtac II's. Which kinda bums me out on my original pair of II's I've had since 07. If they go tits up now I know no one will touch them.

The solid state electronics look ok. It's either the speakers or that strange yellow wire.
View Quote
Can you snap some pics? I might be able to help. Maybe. Probably not. But it'll be easier all around if we can see what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Will do when I get back around them on Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Not the end of the world, I hope.

http://www.tryc2.com/

This company dumped Sordins, Gentex GenCom headsets (similar to IIs) & more over eBay in 2016. Perhaps you can phone them and see if they have anything left partwise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It had nothing to do with the squishedyellow wire. I cut out the squished part and soldered it back together. The speakers are def blown. They work...but everything is garbled and I can head the speaker membrane rattling around.
I think I’ve deduced that the 4 wires going into make it a dual cone speaker. One for the ambient mic and the other for comms. I’ve scoured mouser and cant find a replacement. It’s just under 23mm in diameter and 8mm deep. If anyone can help it’d be greatly appreciated.
Or, if someone has a set of comtac iii’s and couldmeasure the speaker to see if they might work in these. I might be able to convince peltor America to send me some.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It had nothing to do with the squishedyellow wire. I cut out the squished part and soldered it back together. The speakers are def blown. They work...but everything is garbled and I can head the speaker membrane rattling around.
I think I've deduced that the 4 wires going into make it a dual cone speaker. One for the ambient mic and the other for comms. I've scoured mouser and cant find a replacement. It's just under 23mm in diameter and 8mm deep. If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated.
Or, if someone has a set of comtac iii's and couldmeasure the speaker to see if they might work in these. I might be able to convince peltor America to send me some.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/207473/AD41C88A-23AF-4FDE-8C28-24A0B051B89E-441609.JPG
View Quote
They're the same size in my Comtac III's, best as I could measure around the rubber shroud they're in anyway. Wiring is the same.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I popped the ear cups off a set of 3M worktunes and the speakers are different, just 2 wires.

Not sure what other headsets might use the same speaker.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Update
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#11]
2nd update
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top